PDA

View Full Version : [D20 Modern] FX Abilities; To give or not to give...

Vorpalbob
2009-12-15, 02:54 AM
I am about to start a D20 Modern Campaign in which the BBEG (Adoros Nueja) is a scientist (not mad yet) who is trying to free his fiance (Stoella) from FBI custody. He was studying a rift into another dimension, and she was affected by radiation from the rift. She developed Psionic abilities, freaked out, ran away, and accidentally killed someone, hence the FBI catching her. He too has developed powers. He brought goblins and other nasties from the land beyond the rift (essentially Faerun) and they follow his orders in return for technology. With them, he is trying to locate, then free his fiance. He cares not for how many lives he has to end to do so. Hence the Dep-7 operatives (The three/four PCs) on his tail.

They start at 3rd level, and will be 4th by the time they meet Mr. Adoros Nueja. At this point, they will come into contact with the rift. What I need help with is how many people should get powers (Arcane or Psionic, players choice) or if all of them should be given the choice.

The requirements for those classes will defenitely come into play, and some of them will probably opt against multiclassing, or go for the Advanced classes.

The characters have not been made yet, but if I know my players (which I do), I can expect a generic Strong/Fast/Dedicated/Smart group, with some, but not too much optimization.

I'm not sure if it matters, but Adoros' character sheet is here...
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=170048

SpikeFightwicky
2009-12-15, 07:27 AM
From the description of the portal, it doesn't sound like they should have much of a choice in the matter (unless they're in any way shielded, but I doubt that'll happen). If some (or all) of the players don't want them (for character reasons... unless the radiation also gives side effects), you can always arrange for the (not yet) mad scientest to develop a cure (maybe requiring some rare isotopes that the players will have to procure).

How do the powers work? Will they get a random 1/round-hour-day spells or powers? If any of them have an inkling to dive into the FX prestige classes, giving them a taste of it makes for a very good springboard.

Vorpalbob
2009-12-15, 06:14 PM
What I will probably do is give them a 0-level spell or power, usable twice/day. I have worked it out so that they will level up at this point, so if they want to use the FX classes, they are more than welcome to. (in this case, they will lose the 2/day power/spell)

SpikeFightwicky
2009-12-16, 08:13 AM
That works out pretty good. As for your original question, I think that they shouldn't have a choice as to whether or not they get the powers. All in all it looks like a good plan.

Another idea is that if they choose to take an spell/power advanced class, have their radiation abilities change to either being able to either 1/day recast a previously cast spell (that can't be metamagicked), or 1/day manifest an unboosted power for no power point cost (that can't be metapsionicked).