PDA

View Full Version : Kobolds in the Cellar

Sky Pilot
2009-12-15, 06:38 AM
The Devils Buttocks Inn

The miners are quite angry at losing their gold, as many had stored there gold in Bustergutful’s stronghouse. Theft of gold has been steadily increasing in the mining camp, causing quite a lot of tension among groups and individuals. The strong house up to now has been the only sure way of making sure that you keep your gold save, with a fee being paid to Bustergutful of course.

Despite the strong feelings in the room, most miners are reluctant to enter into the Kobold tunnels. One miner, “Lucky” Phil, raced in headfirst after Bustergutful announced his reward. Miners where queuing up to chase after him when a crash, scream and small puff of dust come out of the tunnel. Not knowing what’s down there, most miners are talking about a trek up to the limestone caverns that is rumored to hold the Kobolds lair. However this is going to be hard to access through the snow and weather, as such they are still debating what to do.

You find yourselves surrounding the hole and contemplating your options….

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr343/Redstar29/KoboldsMap1.png

The inn is full of miners, Bustergutful is by the fireplace trying to extort some of his men to go down the tunnel, but they don't look overly keen despite the gold he is offering.

OOC Take a moment to introduce yourselves and make any plans. If you are going to proceed I would an order of movement. i.e who takes the lead etc

Malek
2009-12-15, 03:59 PM
- Hnh, how foolish of him jumping down that hole like that, without knowing how deep it goes. I wonder if he survived... - bleu-and-white dragonborn ponders then turns to eye others around the hole

- But pardon my manners, my name is Arjhan. I must admit I came here a bit broke, and I could use some of that gold offered. Perhaps some of you fine people wouldn't mind teaming up and then splitting the reward?.. Getting all that 2000 gold for oneself might seem promising, but I'd rather get less than taunt Avandra going into the unknown alone. - when mentioning goddes of luck he reflexively touches her symbol dangling from his neck.

King Tius
2009-12-15, 04:30 PM
Olmek

The sturdy mining dwarf standing in the group chuckles to himself. He yells down the hole "Not so lucky now, are you Phil?" Scratching his bearded chin, he looks at the Dragonborn approvingly. Turning to Piper, he points down the whole. "I'm all for jumping in. How about you, Lass?" He then glances at the two wizards. "So we've got a brace of finger-wiggling Eladrin here for the loot, too? I'll take it! You two related or something?"

He gives everyone a short bow. "Olmek Runefist, at your humble service. These are Pride and Joy." He points to the pair of warhammers slung on his belt.

PointatNick
2009-12-15, 07:01 PM
"Finger-wiggling? We, Sir Runefist, are students of the arcane, and I would advise you not to treat us in such a manner. We should befriend one another. I am Paelias Eredae, a student of the arts. It's nice to meet you," he said in response to Olmek's statement. Paelias walked up to the hole, and stared down at it. "Seems like quite a drop. Are we all in for going down, then?"

Harley
2009-12-15, 10:57 PM
Piper

Piper grins, grabbing her pickaxe from a nearby seat. "I'd rather sit here and keep on drinkin', Olmek, but I'll go along; I know if I let you go alone you'd get your fool head stuck in some hole and I'd have to pull you out!"

Smiling at the irate Eladrin, Piper extends her hand in greeting to the man. "Don't get many like you around these parts. Most of the people around here are a bit harder, a bit rougher around the edges than you and yer friend there; just stick with us, an' we won't let 'em lay a hand on you, savvy?"

Hefting her pickaxe over her shoulder, Piper looks at the rest of those poised around the hole. "The name's Piper Brynne; If'n y'all are comin' along, I suggest we get a move on, as we don't want those sneaky little lizards gettin' away from us with all that gold, now do we?"

DarkSetzer
2009-12-16, 07:23 AM
Mindartis

"While I am hesitant to charge head first down into that hole without a proper plan, as "lucky" Phil did... We seem to have a distinct lack of information about what is, or is not, down there. Though, I see no other option at the moment, and as a group we stand a better chance than were we each alone. If there is anyone still alive down there, we should see to it that they remain as such." [Mindartis stood for a moment before jumping slightly, as if startled, "Oh my my, where are my manners... My name is Mindartis. Mindartis Azaziah... And, as my friend Paelias here has already mentioned, I too am a student of the arts arcane."

Sky Pilot
2009-12-16, 02:57 PM
Bustergutful makes his way over to the party, plainly upset by the lack of action on the part of the other miners.

Cowards the lot of them! If I could fit down this tunnel I would be after them like a dog on a ball. Well you look like the only brave souls in this frozen hellhole with the gumption to get our gold back. I'm not generally in the habit of asking people "please" and I see no reason to start now, I have a reputation to uphold after all. I will however aid you as I can.

He pulls a large satchel off his belt and hands five sunrods to the party as well as a small leather bag that contains food (Everlasting Provisions).

This was a gift to me from a friend and It'll keep you fed at least, its certainly kept me alive in some tight spots.

DarkSetzer
2009-12-17, 08:25 PM
Mindartis

"Many thanks, I am sure that these gifts will prove most useful to us." He bows, then turns to the others, "Well, unless there is anything else that needs addressing, I suggest we set out post haste."

Harley
2009-12-17, 10:12 PM
Piper

Piper takes the proffered leather bag, looking a bit skeptical. "This little thing is supposed to keep us all fed, hoss?"

Shrugging, Piper adds the small bag to her belt. "Well, guess we'll find out inside the cave. Thanks fer the food, Bustergutful; if all goes well, ye'll be gettin' this back, and we'll be collectin' that reward!"

Turning towards the rest of the group around the tunnel, Piper grins. "Well, shall we go in? Won't do us any good just sittin' here starin' at that big ol' hole in the ground."

King Tius
2009-12-17, 10:14 PM
"Aye, Lass. Here we go!" Olmek draws his hammers and hops into the hole.

OOG: I'm assuming we can jump in and don't need a ladder, right?

PointatNick
2009-12-18, 12:49 AM
Paelias looks around at the others in the room, eyes shifting from one to another. He looked at the provisions and sunrods Bustergutful had offered them, and then stared back down into the hole. Before he could say a word, Piper had interrupted him, and then after that, so did Olmek, as he was sucked into the hole. "Well, best get a move on then," and with that statement, he himself jumped in.

Malek
2009-12-18, 04:22 AM
- And you think they've learned after what happened to that "Lucky" guy... - dragonborn looked after the two hopping down - Say, my good sir - do you have spare rope to sell on hand perchance? - he asked Bustergutful

If Bustergutful doesn't have any rope on hand at the moment will use one that comes with adventurer's kit to go down safely. :smalltongue:

Sky Pilot
2009-12-18, 07:04 PM
Bustergutful nods at Arjhan and signals one of his staff to fetch some rope from the storeroom. The climb down into the tunnel is easy. The sides have collapsed at an angle and the base has filled slightly with rubble meaning that its a quick slide in. If you had too, you figure it would be fairly easy to get out as well.

Arjhan is given the rope and a pat on the back. The remaining miners gather around the hole and wish the party luck and various helpful/unhelpful advice such as

Send the dragonblooded first! He looks like a bit of a meat shield!

Remember they are only small so look out for your legs and family jewels!

Try not to get any facial scars Piper or you'll never get a husband!

Well known dragon worshipers the dogfaces! Make sure they don't feed you to a red dragon down there!

Paelias! Don't forget! "Burnith frometh myth hands" not "Burnith myth hands"! I won't be there to bind the wounds this time!

Make sure you have plenty of ale! Lifes too short to be sober!

You'll be right at home Olmek! The tunnels look just your size!

Mindartis you dog! You better come back alive you still owe me 50 silver pieces from our last drinking session!

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr343/Redstar29/image2826.png

The bottom of the hole is covered in rubble and a dry dust is very thick in the air. The tunnel to the west looks to go for 10 feet before it is blocked by rubble. the tunnel to the east heads straight for roughly forty feet before it seems to curve to the north. The tunnels have been hewn out of the rock and you can see wooden supports have been raised periodically down the tunnels.

The tunnels are unlit and the tall characters will have to bend their heads.

Harley
2009-12-18, 09:32 PM
Piper

Piper looks up, smirking good-naturedly before yelling back at the miners around the edge of the hole.

"Ah, sod off, Loomis! I'll be sure and bring you back one of th'damned lizards; Pelor knows it'd be happier to see you than that shrew of a wife ye've got!"

Turning back to her companions, Piper's expression shifts from comic to serious as she bends down to look down the tunnel.

"So, now that we're all committed... Olmek, I think ye should take th'lead; easier fer you to maneuver than the lot of us, what with our heads scrapin' the ceilin'. I'll be watchin' yer back, if'n anythin' goes wrong."

Looking over at the two Eladrin and the Dragonborn, Piper talks to them. "Now, I don't know how much experience y'all have down in the tunnels; Olmek and I've seen our share, and it don't do to be less than careful. Stick together, and we'll be bringin' that bounty back in no time; try to be a loner, and yer liable to fall somewhere we cannae reach ye. Got it?"

DarkSetzer
2009-12-22, 09:43 AM
Mindartis

Mindartis nodded, "Very well then, I should like to follow behind the two of you. In the event that my talents are needed I do not wish to be to far behind."

King Tius
2009-12-23, 10:57 PM
Olmek

"Aye Lass, I'll go ahead first. I'm not scared of these little lizards. Just be ready." Olmek smacks his hammers together and heads off down the tunnel.

PointatNick
2009-12-24, 12:58 AM
Dusting off his robes, Paelias looks up at the group. "Alright then, I'll be sticking next to Mindartis, while the rest of you can do the heavy lifting. So, we'll be on our way then?" Paelias stretches himself out, thumping his head on the cave ceiling. "Ouch!" he yelped as he hunched back down.

Malek
2009-12-24, 07:27 AM
- I hope we won't get ambushed in these corridors - what good is having a group if you can't bring all it's members to combat at the same time. - Arjhhan commented and moved to the back - I'll keep an eye on our backs, in cease something pops up.

Sky Pilot
2009-12-26, 10:47 PM
The party has moved only 30 foot or so when you come to a northern turn in the tunnel. As Olmek approaches the corner he can hear odd ripping noises to the north. From the corner you can see....

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr343/Redstar29/KoboldsTunnels4.png

The tunnel appears to open up and you can see a 5 foot tunnel leading off to the east. From you vantage point you can see rubble strewn over the tunnel floor, although your extensive tunneling experience quickly tells you the tunnel is stable. You can see Lucky Phils body partially buried under the rubble and a small (halfling size you reckon) black and red beetle tearing flesh from his corpse (at least you hope its a corpse as that looks quite painful).

The beetle is quite engrossed in eating and just not appear to have noticed you at this stage. You are partially hidden at this stage by some support beams... what do you want to do?

OOC

For Arjhan and Piper: Guys you are the only ones in the party without low light vision. As you have both been in the miners camp for so long I'm going to say that your Adventurers Kit includes a mining helmet each. It has a small attachment at the front which allows you to either light a small oil lamp or attach a sunrod. In both cases the attachment has small directional mirror that directs light to wherever you are going. I'm going to assume you both turned you lamps on instinctively. I'll also say you both had one sunrod good to go other than the ones Bustergutful gave to you.

Olmek can you just look over your character sheet again and check your feats please mate.

Malek
2010-01-06, 05:49 AM
- Why did we stop? What's happening in the front? - dragonborn whispered

Checking pulse on the game - what to I need to roll? :P