PDA

View Full Version : New to DMing (3.5, if that matters)

Lioness
2009-12-15, 07:09 AM
Ok, our current DM is a little sick of DMing, and really really wants to actually play. Because of this, I've agreed to DM a couple of sessions, on a thoroughly different campaign, but with the same people.

I've got a few key concerns

I have my campaign. It's short, simple (but entertaining), and low level. That way I don't have to find my way around things I haven't encountered in gameplay yet. That's my safeguard. But...

I am a relative newbie. I've been playing for about a year, and have really only had one campaign arc during that time. So any rules players ask me about I'm going to have to check with the previous DM. Will that cause the players to lose respect for me as a DM, and make them feel like they can get away with anything because I don't know the rules completely?

The campaign details key events, but how do I get from A to B fluently? Do I give them hints on what to do next, or do I let them stumble around finding it themselves? (my group is really not good on the traditional D&D playing. We barely ever search, spot, listen, check for traps, sense motive, etc.)

How much should I prepare for an average session? Like monster stats convenient, maps drawn, minis found, etc. More or less than I think I should? And what exactly should be prepared?

I'm planning on sending out an email beforehand warning them all that they'll have to make shiny new level 3 characters. Should I let them create whatever or confer with them to make sure I don't end up with three bards and a ranger? Or encourage them to confer with each other, or what?

Lastly (I think), are there any super useful programs to calculate XPs and stuff?

I am still DMing at the current DM's house, so I get use of his minis, his game grid thing, his laptop, etc., because he's a nice boyfrind. I wont really need to worry about any of that.

Any help and/or reassurances are much appreciated.

Thanks

BooNL
2009-12-15, 07:25 AM
Ok, our current DM is a little sick of DMing, and really really wants to actually play. Because of this, I've agreed to DM a couple of sessions, on a thoroughly different campaign, but with the same people.

I have my campaign. It's short, simple (but entertaining), and low level. That way I don't have to find my way around things I haven't encountered in gameplay yet. That's my safeguard. But...

I am a relative newbie. I've been playing for about a year, and have really only had one campaign arc during that time. So any rules players ask me about I'm going to have to check with the previous DM. Will that cause the players to lose respect for me as a DM, and make them feel like they can get away with anything because I don't know the rules completely?

Good for you for DMing! It's the best way to learn the ins and outs of the game.
Don't worry if you cannot recall the correct ruling of something. If it takes too long to look up or if you cannot find it, I suggest you either make a DM ruling or roll a dice.
You can look up the actual rules after the game.

The campaign details key events, but how do I get from A to B fluently? Do I give them hints on what to do next, or do I let them stumble around finding it themselves? (my group is really not good on the traditional D&D playing. We barely ever search, spot, listen, check for traps, sense motive, etc.)

How much should I prepare for an average session? Like monster stats convenient, maps drawn, minis found, etc. More or less than I think I should? And what exactly should be prepared?

This really depends on how you run D&D. Are you leisurely sitting around the table shouting your actions or do you play mostly in character? If the latter, you can nudge them in the right direction through dialogue or finding stuff.
If the former, you might be able to just tell them, would detract from the experience a bit.

The best thing is not to overplan. If your dungeon is situated to the south, but despite of all the signs you players stubbornly head north simply move the dungeon to the north!

It's always good to have the stats of stuff for that session on hand. Maps can be drawn right there and then (if using something like a whiteboard or graph paper) or you can draw them up beforehand.

I'm planning on sending out an email beforehand warning them all that they'll have to make shiny new level 3 characters. Should I let them create whatever or confer with them to make sure I don't end up with three bards and a ranger? Or encourage them to confer with each other, or what?

An email is a good idea. Also list any houserules you may want to use and a general overview of the campaign feel you're going for. Not the story, but the atmosphere.
It's important to only allow classes and books you are familiar and comfortable with, that way you don't get surprised.

Don't worry on party balance. If you have a group of 3 rogues, that means you might have to adjust encounters somewhat, but any party should be able to finish a campaign. Though letting them confer is always a good idea.

[spoiler]
Lastly (I think), are there any super useful programs to calculate XPs and stuff?

I am still DMing at the current DM's house, so I get use of his minis, his game grid thing, his laptop, etc., because he's a nice boyfrind. I wont really need to worry about any of that.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I never use XP. When I feel my players have done enough to warrent a level, I simply level them up. This is usually at the end of a story arch or difficult battle.

It looks like you have everything you need.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do great!

DonEsteban
2009-12-15, 10:11 AM
Because of this, I've agreed to DM a couple of
sessions...

Congratulations!

Just make clear that you are the DM and it's your ruling that counts. Don't be afraid. You will screw up. Badly. But that's okay. It's not wrong to take advice from your players or your old DM, but in the end it's you who has to decide. They'll understand. Reduce discussions to a minimum and take critics only at the start or the end of sessions.

That depends largely on the group. If you think your style of play is suboptimal, try to encourage your players to change it. For instance, you could try to suggest that someone do a search check every now and then...

Especially in the beginning it will help to prepare in more detail. Try to identify possible problems. Look up rules that could become relevant before the session. And know the adventure, of course. Make notes. Study the monsters that will likely appear in the session and know their stats and their tactics. Then again, don't over-prepare...

Both variants are okay. Nobody should be forced into playing a character he doesn't want just because it'll be good for the group. If you think one type of character is essential for the adventure, drop some hints. As a beginner, it's probably easier for you to have a balanced group where you don't have to adjust the adventure...

This (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20monsterfilter/) is something every DM should use. The other tools on this site are also useful.

GolemsVoice
2009-12-15, 10:19 AM
An email is a good idea. Also list any houserules you may want to use and a general overview of the campaign feel you're going for. Not the story, but the atmosphere.
It's important to only allow classes and books you are familiar and comfortable with, that way you don't get surprised.

When our group makes new characters, regardless of system, we try to look at what the other does (we usually create characters together at the table) and try to find a balance ("If you're playing ranger, we'll already have a character who is extremely skilled with a bow, so I'll take..."or"Oh, you're playing race X, I'll pick another cool template") so that we ahve a diverse group. If your players are nice and understanding, which most people tend to be, this should be no problem. When I DM, I usually give my players much freedom for what they want to create, preferring a character that fits the player's expectations to the character that fits into the story the easiest.

Sleepingbear
2009-12-15, 10:46 AM

Thanks

First, some general comments and advice.

You're going to make mistakes. That's okay, just learn from them and move on. I've never seen anyone start out without problems.

Work with your players, not against them. It can be tempting to fall into a somewhat advesarial relationship with your players. I think you'll find things a little easier if you work with them instead. Afterall, they outnumber you.

Planning is good. Being flexible is too. Planning to be flexible is best. I will have a map that the characters to explore. I will also design encounters for the players to experience. Very few if any of those encounters will be area specific. That way, players will experience what I want them too, no matter where they go. Plus they feel that they're exploring and have control over their own destinies.

Now for your concerns.

First of all, your plan to start low-level and within your comfort zone is a good one. Don't bite off more than you can chew, take it slow and one bit at a time.

I don't see the harm in either looking up a rule or asking a more experienced player/ex-DM a question. Don't be afraid to overrule either if you feel it necessary. I'm a player in two games and in both the DM often consults with me over rules because it's quicker than looking it up.

I am human and fallible which means two things. Occasionally I make mistakes. It rarely happens but it does happen. Usually I realize them myself later and will point them out at the next session for the sake of clarity. It also means that I am tempted to give false information to cause a situation to be more favorable to my fellow players and myself. I resist this urge because I feel that my credibility at the table is more valuable over the long term than any short term gain that cheating might provide. You know your players and former DM better than I so it's up to you to judge their credibility and accuracy. It sounds like you may be okay in this department though.

Some player may start looking at the rules guru when there's a question. There is nothing inherently wrong with that as long as it's understood that your call supercedes all. Always. Be consistant about this. Even if it's only giving your nod of approval to whatever the rules guru has to say. Reading up on the rules in between sessions will help you become the rules guru you want to be. I bought and love the Rules Compendium both as a quick reference at the table and to enhance my own rules knowledge between sessions.

As for moving the plot along, there are a number of strategies to employ. As has been mentioned, being flexible helps a lot. If your players are floundering, toss them a lifeline of some sort. An NPC who can nudge them in the right direction can help. And while I prefer to avoid them myself, your group sounds as though it may benefit from the use of plot hammers.

For the pregame, I make sure the table is set up, the mini's and books are handy and that my notes are in order. Time permitting I make sure that I've read up on the monsters, rules, spells or anything else I think may be relevant that session.

I've always preferred that players work together and with me when making their characters. Things just seem to work better that way.

As for programs, I can't help you out there. I'm an old fuddy-duddy who's most advanced peice of equipment at the table is a calculator that I rarely use. Don't trust it. :)

Anyway, good luck.

valadil
2009-12-15, 10:48 AM

Depends on your style. Since you don't know your style yet, you'll just have to try playing and see what works.

When I first started GMing I drew maps of everything. I like drawing so I was more than happy to spend a lot of time on this. When we started playing, the maps were meaningless. Players looked at the world map for less than a minute. They never even saw dungeon maps, since I transcribed those to the battlemap one corridor at a time. What's more is that the data on the maps was arbitrary. They players don't care what direction the castle is in - they're heading straight for it. Half the time they don't even care what's in their way. If they do care, it's just as easy for me to declare mountains or marshes as it would have been to look at the map. Dungeons were just as arbitrary.

Just because I found mapping to be a timesink doesn't mean its worthless. Plenty of other GMs love their maps. But maps don't add anything to the games I run. Figuring out what does and doesn't help your game will take some trial and error on your part.

For what it's worth, I usually spend N to 2N hours on prepping each session, where N is the length of the session. I think this is more time than other GMs spend. It ends up closer to N hours if I'm just doing dungeons and combat.

9mm
2009-12-15, 10:57 AM
2 things:
1. Be prepared to wing it.

2. Never be afraid to change things on the fly, criting your players to near death? all of a sudden the improved crit range is gone; that sort of thing.

nyjastul69
2009-12-15, 11:35 AM
When balancing encounters try to err on the side of a slightly under powered vs. Over powered. It's usually easier to bump an encounter up rather than down on the fly. BTW congrats on you're new role. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

crimson77
2009-12-15, 12:00 PM
...So any rules players ask me about I'm going to have to check with the previous DM. Will that cause the players to lose respect for me as a DM, and make them feel like they can get away with anything because I don't know the rules completely?
Since he is your boyfriend, tell the group he is going to be a co-DM but have a player character. You might refer to him during the game. But remember that if you do not know a rule, then make something up. You have the right to alter any rule or change things as you see fit. This is especially true for skill checks. Don't get caught up in trying to figure things in books. If you cannot find it in 1 minute or your boyfriend does not know it off hand then just make it up. You are going for a fluid game rather than a correct game.

The campaign details key events, but how do I get from A to B fluently?
It depends. If you are traveling and want do do some encounters then do them. If not then skip it. Think of a book. Sometimes, characters spend a lot of time on the road and important things happen. Other times, one chapter ends and another begins with the characters having done something. Just find your style. Remember you can experiment with different style of doing things.

Do I give them hints on what to do next, or do I let them stumble around finding it themselves? (my group is really not good on the traditional D&D playing.
Let them stumble around a bit first and then drop some hints.

We barely ever search, spot, listen, check for traps, sense motive, etc.)
Players should be told when to spot/listen because they are always automatically occurring. They are passive skills. Search & check for traps are things one must choose to do. Sense motive can go either way depending on the situation/DM

How much should I prepare for an average session?
Depends. Be ready enough that you feel comfortable and do not bog down the session because you are trying to remember things or having to look things up.

Like monster stats convenient, maps drawn, minis found, etc. More or less than I think I should?
More for your first few times DMing

And what exactly should be prepared?
A basic plot, key monsters, traps, and situations

Let them confer with one another. You will get better characters. As your boyfriend to help you look them over for any thing out of the ordinary. Look for power gaming tendencies.

I am sure there are some. You do not need them. As your boyfriend

Lioness
2009-12-15, 06:26 PM
Thankyou all for you replies! I'm much more at ease now.

I think I will ban all sorts of non-standard and D20 character builds. I don't want to have to remember things really for anything other than the base classes, and perhaps something a little more advanced.
Most of the main monster stats are in the campaign pages, but a couple of the minor monsters aren't. I'll get their stats before the session starts.

Thankyou again, and more replies (even if they're just to say the same thing) are appreciated.

oxybe
2009-12-15, 06:58 PM

i don't see why it would. let them know you're still a bit green, but like all DMs, you're word is final. put a 5 minute limit on rule issues, and if by that time no one can come up with an answer or ruling that makes sense, made a decision you think is fair and tell them you'll look it up later for an "official" answer. come to us with any questions and i'm sure someone has an answer for you.

it's best to play it to their strengths, really. if you know they don't search for traps, for the love of kord don't fill the dungeon with traps. maybe one or two but that's it.

however, if you know they like getting their hands dirty, maybe let them rough up a few mooks for answers. worst case scenario, have them overhear a few NPCs talking about something in a tavern, maybe a few noblewomen gossiping or whatnot. i rarely suggest sitting there and letting them stumble upon something unless they do so by their own.

for monsters you generally have 2 options:
1) MM + sticky notes. use the stickies to "tab" important monsters & write the name so it sticks out.
2)go in my sig in the 3.5 srd secion, find the appropriate monsters and print them.

for maps, have a "real" map done for yourself. i recommend some graph paper for the PCs to map themselves and a battlemat if possible. if you're missing the graph paper & battlemat i've got a link in my sig for that. for graph paper choose the "4 lines per inch" and light blue for line color, while a "1 line per inch" and a good solid black line will work for a battle mat.

for minis, if you're cheap you can grab the "token tool" in my sig and just make a few tokens to print out using the pictures found in the SRD. it's easy to use & freeware. 64x64 for a med, 128x128 for a large & 256x256 for a huge token. if the size you want isn't there, you can manually add it.

other then actual physical stuff to prep for, have a few "other" hooks prepared in case the party wants to veer off course. just a few combats and an npc or three that you could tie to the larger campaign.

have a "pre-campaign" session to discuss character creation & any questions they have about the setting. it's just easier on everyone that way, IMO

heh. check my sig for lots of free goodies. now while i haven't gm'ed 3rd ed in a bit, i did drop XP entirely and used the craft point variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/craftPoints.htm) for magic item creation. this will give the characters 600 points they can use in place of XP. when that runs out, they can't make any more items. alternatively you may want to use the pathfinder rules for item creation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/magic-items#TOC-Magic-Item-Creation).

Thanks

Just have fun and go with the flow! Happy gaming.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-15, 07:20 PM
I'd like to advise against one practice others seemed to promote: That of being willing to change rules or set rules on the fly.

Take a minute to look them up if at all possible. Rules compendium is actually pretty decent for this. It'll be a bit slower at first, but it'll result in you knowing the system much better, and will lead to less confusion/disagreement in the long run.

Thurbane
2009-12-15, 08:28 PM
I've got a bunch of 3.5 handy links in my sig, for XP Calcs and more...

Lioness
2009-12-15, 08:29 PM
I've got a bunch of 3.5 handy links in my sig, for XP Calcs and more...

ooooh, thanks.

Cyrion
2009-12-15, 10:14 PM
The most important set of rules to know off the top of your head will be the combat rules commonly used by your party. If they always grapple, but never trip, make sure you know the grapple rules, but don't worry so much about the others. Search and spot DCs, rulings on strange actions, etc. can be creatively dealt with, but you really want your basic combat to be smooth. Can you predict some of the situations your characters will be in and what they're likely to try? If so, look up the relevant rules beforehand.

As was pointed out earlier, try not to adopt an adversarial role. You're all there to have fun, and the ultimate goal is probably for the party to win. You're there to facilitate fun play for everyone. In groups I've DMed I've often been able to ask my players to look up a rule for me in advance of their place in initiative. That gets the rule right, the person doing the action (and who probably knows where and which book to find the rule) has something to do while they wait, and you're not stuck holding up the game frantically digging through the books.

Also- Relax! Have fun! DMing can be a blast! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Bibliomancer
2009-12-15, 10:26 PM
Congratulations!

Do not be afraid to improvise. If the players decide to start a gang war and attack the local assassin's guild (this happened in my most recent session), scribble down a few rough stats for some opponents and give them allies that conveniently deal with most of the guild (or have them get captured, whichever moves the plot forward fastest). Estimate AC, hp, and attack bonuses while they're eating pizza and assign xp and magic items later when you have more time.

Many players (especially ones who don't roll Spot and Listen checks often) are easily distracted, so if you have a plot arc in mind attempt to minimize exposure to other hooks or combat, because the players will oftne fixate on the most recent problem that they've encountered.

Always insist on having them roll stats in front of you. Most players are honest, but even the best fudge the dice a little or take the best set if not monitored. I once had a player come in with a character with two eighteens and other good scores.

Don't be afraid to throw difficult encounters at them (EL +3, at most, though) as long as they are composed of multiple opponents. Many small opponents can be dealt with far more easily since AC etc, are low. Make sure that you have a back-up if the players are unlucky, though, like some of the opponents retreating or becoming Intimidated.

Lastly, at low levels the characters will level very quickly unless you scale back xp rewards. If you want the final boss which you'll face in two sessions to be level 6 and only one level above the party, you'll have to cut xp rewards in half, if you're running combat heavy encounters (if you go too far, compensate with story awards and mini-awards for well-thought out plans). However don't tell the players. Insist on calculating xp rewards yourself (this is easy if you're keeping the copy of the DMG to yourself during sessions (and you should be, if they aren't looking at magic items) and you're good at math), because players will get annoyed if they find out that they;re being cheated out of xp that they fell is rightfully theirs.

Good luck, and I hope something in the above paragraphs is useful.

Rhiannon87
2009-12-15, 10:45 PM
I was in your situation about a year ago, when I started running my campaign. Keeping in mind that these answers are all based on my group's dynamics...

1) Rules and Respect

Our veteran DMs ask everyone for rules help from time to time, so we never had an issue with problems of respect. I don't think that the main DM should be treated as a co-DM; have him be a player, like everyone else, and don't pose rules questions to him specifically. Ask the table. "Oh, you're gonna try to disarm? Uh, crap, does that provoke an AoO? Can someone look it up?" (It does provoke an AoO, for the record, unless the person doing the disarm has Improved Disarm.) If you have a few books handy someone will pull out the PHB and find the appropriate page. It might slow down play a little bit at first, but that's okay. If your group is a good one, they'll be patient and understanding.

2) Moving From Plot Point A to Plot Point B

This was the thing I had the most trouble with, and it has taken me a long time to learn how to do this effectively. Unfortunately, I failed to really get the party hooked into the main plot arc at the beginning, and thus for the first part of the campaign, they were basically chasing plot coupons across the map, frequently forgetting why they were going somewhere. As I got more used to the whole DMing thing, I added some sidequests that were more integrated into the action and the characters, and they were much more excited about those. When we return to my game, I'm going to be starting them off on the next section with a bang, so hopefully things will stick a little better for them.

My advice? Make sure that whatever your major, serious, overarching plot is, that they understand and care about it. Tie it into backstories if your players are big into roleplay, throw them into the thick of the action, have something looming over them forcing them to cooperate (blackmail, threat of death, promise of a huge reward-- personally I think the first two are much more motivating, but it depends on the players and characters), something that makes them remember what's going on. The module I had described a big monologue where some NPC explained the history of the events that had led to the quest the party was on, and I tried to give that monologue, and it sucked. No one remembered any of the important stuff and I had to constantly remind them of what they were doing.

3) Preparation

It really depends. I'm a compulsive planner-- my party just hit level seven, and I have the campaign outlined up to level 10 (and then a rough outline up to the end game, around level 14). I have maps, monsters, characters, plots, sidequests, etc... but I'm not married to any of it. I'll bring my huge pile of notes to a game and be prepared to have the group go totally off the rails. You have to be able to roll with it, or get them back on track in some non hand-of-god fashion. This, like point #2, is something you learn as you DM. The first few times the party went way off base, I was kind of floundering, but I managed to pull something out. Now I know to create a plot or quest, then look at it and think of four or five things the party could do to derail it, and then when they do a sixth random thing, I'll roll with it.

General tips: read over the section the party is going to be going through a couple days before game, and make adjustments (scaling monsters, removing/adding encounters, etc) as needed. Review your notes right before game. I always jot down a rough outline of what major things I expect the party to complete in a given session; my group moves crazy slow, though, so I've never run into a situation where they've gotten farther than my notes.

4) Party Creation

Encourage them to talk amongst themselves about making sure they have a balanced party. It's up to you if you want to tailor things to their skills (or lack thereof); if your party lacks a rogue, do you remove all the magical traps from a dungeon, or leave them in, because the dungeon does not conform to the party? I'm personally more inclined towards the latter option, but it's really up to you and how you think your players will handle things like that.

5) Other Random Advice

Notecards for initiative are the single greatest thing in the history of the world. Get notecards. Write down a character's name and ACs on the card. Do this for all the characters. Make a couple cards labeled "monster". Use these for initiative. I cannot imagine doing initiative any other way. Someone's holding an action? Flip their card upright so you remember they're holding, and ask them at the end of the round if they want to act.

I've banned laptops at the table for everyone but the DM, because otherwise people get distracted with the internet and coding and other games and such.

Uh... that's about it. Props to you for helping a burned-out DM! That's how I got into DMing, and it's made playing his game a lot better, since he can take extended breaks when he needs to.

Gnomo
2009-12-15, 11:00 PM
A few tips I have found useful myself:
Prepare generic NPC, their reactions and its consequences in advance, this will help you decide on the fly what will happen more fluently and the players won't realize that you are improvising. For example a mayor in a town, a family of farmers that gives them shelter, a grumpy wizard and his awakened parrot living in a tower in the middle of a cave, etc.
Insist that the players should know how to use their characters, if the player doesn't know how to grapple, turn/rebuke undead, use his own spells, use his feats... he shouldn't be trying to use'em.
Focus on the game, and demand the same from the players, the one that doesn't take his turn in 10 seconds delays action.
The players are the heroes, do not try to optimize the NPCs, do not give them greater roles, do not make the players follow NPCs unconditionally... but let them grow fond of them, the relations between player characters and NPCs are often great roleplaying opportunities as long as the players create them.
Make the plot easy to follow, there's nothing wrong with complicated stories... as long as the players understand it. Give the players more information than necessary, they usually ignore the relevant parts and give too much importance to the insignificant ones, if you make everything extra clear for everything they will have a greater motivation to follow the story.

Psychosis
2009-12-15, 11:43 PM
I didn't read the entire thread, so odds high that somebody already addressed this for me, but preparation is arguably the trickiest bit. It has been something like 2-3 years since I last DM'd, but one thing I remember is how players will find a way to take your meticulous work and toss it out the nearest window. They say "no battle plan survives encounter with the enemy", and this is much the same. Players will always think of something you hadn't, and even if you plot your world down to the atomic level you will still find yourself improvising a good third of any given session.

Does that mean don't make a plan? Hardly. If anything having an existing route go up in flames helps you toss together a new one, if only in that you knew what you wanted the intended result to be. I guess what I'm saying is you can never plan enough, but never fall under the assumption that it will go the way you want it.

Radar
2009-12-16, 03:51 AM
A lot has allready been said in this thread, but i here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76474) are many usefull tricks and important information neatly put in one place.

Kaun
2009-12-16, 04:25 AM
I didn't read the entire thread, so odds high that somebody already addressed this for me, but preparation is arguably the trickiest bit. It has been something like 2-3 years since I last DM'd, but one thing I remember is how players will find a way to take your meticulous work and toss it out the nearest window. They say "no battle plan survives encounter with the enemy", and this is much the same. Players will always think of something you hadn't, and even if you plot your world down to the atomic level you will still find yourself improvising a good third of any given session.

Does that mean don't make a plan? Hardly. If anything having an existing route go up in flames helps you toss together a new one, if only in that you knew what you wanted the intended result to be. I guess what I'm saying is you can never plan enough, but never fall under the assumption that it will go the way you want it.

Yeah Dont over plan. Work out the basics and then do your best to wing it from there on.

Secondly: Remind your players that its your first time DMing and ask them to cut you some slack. Any player that agree to play and still cry at the fact that the game has a few hic ups and that you dont know everything off the top of your head is an ass hole anyway.

Thirdly: One of the best ways to make your players enjoy the game is make them feel like like they really matter. Have important NPCs listen to there advice and act on them even if what they sugest has major holes in it. If they save the town play it up dont just have the mayor hand over a bag of coin have the locals buying them ale at the tavern singing there praise blah blah, all so if they pull out some big hits in combat highlight it. Describe the out come a bit more then usual, have some other enemy mobs turn and run in fear and other similar stuff.
Players have massive egos and they love it when you feed the fires under there awesomeness!!

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-16, 06:08 AM
Stick to core only. Also, try to memorize the PHB if your worrid about rulings. I've read almost the entire book, and can cite any rule from it except for the results of normal combat manoeuvres.

And make sure you have your own DM shield. Put something nice on the from (The DM is God?) and then put things like expeirence point tables inside. I personally have the XP table and the weapons table, then the centre's free for campaign notes and wotnot. Use postits to keep track of initiative and other important things like spell duration. And DM yourself, not your friend.

Minis, minis, minis. Get a few minis of your own, even if they are the triangular paper minis. Games Workshop is decent quality, but assembling can be a hassle.

AslanCross
2009-12-16, 08:07 AM

I started like this as well. Heck, I started DMing without ever having played before. It wasn't such an issue as long as I knew how to look up rules and had ready references.

You need to give the players hooks: reasons for them to pursue the campaign in general and the quests in particular. As for not spotting or checking for traps, my party learned to do that the hard way---they were once ambushed by a behir, for crying out loud. A 40-foot long lightning breathing reptilian just dropped off the ceiling onto them like a lizard.. Needless to say they learned to make good use of True Seeing plus spot and listen checks.

It really depends on you. I like preparing a lot for everything---monster stats, treasure, maps, definitely. Basically everything that needs a number I write down. Dialogue, however, I leave improvised as long as I have dialogue prompts and the general behavior of the characters. Other DMs, however, prefer to improvise everything else.

I talk to all of my players and let them know what the others are planning. Never had any problems with "OMG Three monks" yet.

Legion Of Geeks (just google it) has a great Encounter Calculator tool that I use extensively.

Good that you have resources at your disposal and that your SO also plays. Good luck!

Lioness
2009-12-16, 08:25 AM
Wow. SO many responses. Many more than I was expecting.

Thanks so much for your reassurances, tips, and general how-to's.

Oh the party will find out the hard to way to search for traps. Unfortunately, it will be too late. They're going to climb a ladder, and one of the rungs is gonna stab them. Bahahaha. (I've got the whole evil DM thing sorted :D)

I've got no problems with minis, or a lack thereof. The current DM only ever gets minis as presents from friends and family, so he has a lot that he said I can use.

I'm probably just going to use the laptop for music, and XP. I'm calculating Xp at the end of each session, because then I have time and don't have to worry too much about holding game up.

I'll probably end up DMing a lot like our current DM. He's got a test pad of paper in front of him, the campaign thing open next to it (where we can't see the details...), and a stack of reference books on the chair next to him.

He does the 'If you don't know what you're doing when it's your turn, too bad' thing, but to be honest, I don't like it. I'll often plan a move (spellcaster), and then someone will move just before my turn, making my planned spell highly inconvenient. I then have about 2 seconds to think something up, and more often than not, it stresses me out. I'd rather delay to the end of the round, but often I don't think of that till later.

I'm now a lot more confident about having a general call-out about rules. Some things (such as disarming), I've never encountered. Thankfully, we have two rules lawyers who will know.
Main problem I foresee with that is my making an on-the-fly ruling, and one of them saying 'hang on...'. I figure if it won't disrupt the game to look it up, we'll do that. Otherwise, if they can get a general consensus that they're right, I'll go with that. That should stop them from taking advantage of my ignorance to tailor the game for themselves (which I don't think they would do, they're pretty awesome). There's one guy who I have a suspicion (just from watching him as a player) either has super lucky dice, or fudges his rolls. His dice is hard to read from a distance, so it's possible. He just never ever seems to fail saves. Only time he failed one was when the DM rolled it for him (because it was epic and super important to the plot, he even got out his large metal d20 to do it)

Gnomo
2009-12-16, 10:43 AM
Trust the player.

If what you fear is that you go on the fly with a rule and a player says: stop, this is resolved with a specific check, you just go with what the player said, it will make the game better for everybody... just trust your players, that will make the game much more enjoyable cause the players will feel that they can put their knowledge of the game into use and that will motivate them into playing, the keyword here is motivation, the more motivation the player has to play, the better he will, so you let them have that motivation.

I have a friend with which I played D&D 3.5 for several years, he was a heavy min-maxer, but on the roleplaying skills he was lacking... a lot, he only played to test builds... he liked to change characters every campaign, he did it even between campaigns, he never listened to the storyplot and from one session to the next he had forgotten everything. From a certain point I didn't took it so good so I started to nerf him by not allowing any exploit of the system, banned several feats, spells, powers, items and prestige classes so I didn't have to worry about any powergaming into the battle, of course this player lost his motivation to continue playing, and doesn't play with us anymore.

The point of the story is that every players enjoy the game differently, the important thing is to find the play style that suits all of your players and yourself as a DM so everybody have fun and be motivated to continue playing, if you are having problems with people abusing rules first ask yourself if it's really a problem.

Lioness
2009-12-16, 10:07 PM
I see your point there, I will give him the benefit of the doubt then.