PDA

View Full Version : Telekinetic Thrust

Myrmex
2009-12-15, 04:01 PM
I'm playing a level 7 cerebremancer in a current game, and I just picked up Telekinetic Thrust & Shrink Item. My plan is to carry tiny boulders around to throw at creatures with my mind.

My ranged attack roll will be pretty hefty- around +20 when I gear up to do it (2 magic tattoos, a bard, 26 int).

Is 7 pp to do 12d6 damage to a target worth the action cost? That's an average of about 40 damage, and with 3.0 Haste up it's about 80 damage/round. The advantage of doing relatively large amounts of damage is that it circumvents trying to guess what things' bad saves are and hoping they fail them.

Are there any ways to pimp my boulders? Make 'em flaming or something?

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-15, 04:06 PM
It's not a bad option, but i prefer to throw opponents at each other (makes me lol)

There is special catapult ammo in either Stronghold Builder's Guide or Heros of Battle. That might be able to help you out.

jseah
2009-12-15, 04:07 PM
Any and all buffs that increase weapon damage add CL times the number.

eg. Offensive Precognition.

Myrmex
2009-12-15, 04:07 PM
Throwing opponents only does 1d6 damage and has a save to negate. Not worth it, imo.

Any and all buffs that increase weapon damage add CL times the number.

eg. Offensive Precognition.

Um, explain what you mean, please. I'm pretty sure that bard song only adds to attack & not damage, since I'm using a spell/power & not a weapon. I could lob a weapon, but that would do very little damage.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-15, 04:09 PM
...but the LOLZZZ

jseah
2009-12-15, 04:10 PM
You can throw yourself for faster movement. XD

Curmudgeon
2009-12-15, 04:13 PM
My ranged attack roll will be pretty hefty- around +20 when I gear up to do it (2 magic tattoos, a bard, 26 int).
Are you taking everything into account?
Improvised Weapons

Sometimes objects not crafted to be weapons nonetheless see use in combat. Because such objects are not designed for this use, any creature that uses one in combat is considered to be nonproficient with it and takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls made with that object.
After all, you didn't mention having Exotic Weapon Proficiency (tiny boulder).

jseah
2009-12-15, 04:15 PM
That's why you use a cartful of ballista bolts.

Myrmex
2009-12-15, 04:25 PM
Are you taking everything into account?
After all, you didn't mention having Exotic Weapon Proficiency (tiny boulder).

Actually, they won't be tiny when I am throwing them, as that would only encourage me to shrink 12,000 lb boulders and throw them for a zillion damage.

I am planning on having a bunch of them specially crafted at different weights, so as I level, I can continue to augment my power to full for maximum damage. That also means that they were crafted to be used as a weapon.

sofawall
2009-12-15, 04:32 PM
I'm playing a level 7 cerebremancer in a current game, and I just picked up Telekinetic Thrust & Shrink Item. My plan is to carry tiny boulders around to throw at creatures with my mind.

I totally read that as badgers and thought this:

Make 'em flaming or something?

was the best idea ever.

erikun
2009-12-15, 05:05 PM
That's an average of about 40 damage, and with 3.0 Haste up it's about 80 damage/round.
You're using 3.0 Psionics? :smalleek:

Myrmex
2009-12-15, 05:09 PM
You're using 3.0 Psionics? :smalleek:

No, 3.0 core + those paperback splats.

PinkysBrain
2009-12-15, 05:11 PM
Using bolts is terribly cheesy, but why not use weapons instead of boulders?

Myrmex
2009-12-15, 05:15 PM
Using bolts is terribly cheesy, but why not use weapons instead of boulders?

Ohhh, I see, I can just throw 7 greatswords or spears or what have you, and get more damage.

[edit]
Ballista bolts only do 1d8 damage; I'm not seeing a problem, other than being able to enchant 50 of them at a time.

icefractal
2009-12-15, 05:26 PM
Are you talking about throwing one big boulder? If so, I think you'll be better off throwing seven weapons.

Your total weight per weapon is 300 / 7 = 42 lbs. Weapons double in weight every size category. Eventually, you'll want to use arrows, as they're by far the lightest for their damage. And if you're allowed to scale weapons past Colossal: seven Colossal++++ arrows, dealing 12d6 each, are within your weight limit.

For the moment though (if limited to Colossal), go with Colossal Javelins - 4d6 each, so 28d6 total, and you don't even have to augment it (total weight = 224 lbs). Still better in general, but it might occasionally be worth using boulders against creatures with significant DR.

Another fun trick is using Nets. They're a touch attack to hit (so pretty much guaranteed), and the target is entangled until they spend seven full round actions! Outside of core, try Huge Harpoons (Stormwrack or Sword-n-Fist, depending on edition) 3d8, 40 lbs each, and the target moves slowly until they take seven full round actions which deal damage to them.

PinkysBrain
2009-12-15, 05:53 PM
Ballista bolts only do 1d8 damage; I'm not seeing a problem, other than being able to enchant 50 of them at a time.
Bolts allow for the most size increases while staying under the weight limit ... and damage increases with size.