PDA

View Full Version : [Fighter] feat modification

Cute_Riolu
2009-12-15, 04:18 PM
I was thinking, one of the (many) problems with fighters is the lack of versatility of their feats. Weapon Focus and such simply don't cut it. However, if you changed those feats to, for fighters with the requisite levels, they applied to ALL weapons that you're proficient with, would that help?

Obviously, this is FAR from a cureall. I'm quite aware of the fighter's other problems, including lack of mobility, combat options, out-of-combat options...

jokey665
2009-12-15, 04:50 PM
All weapons seems a little overkill. I've been using weapon groups to do more or less the same thing.

Cute_Riolu
2009-12-15, 07:18 PM
Overkill with feats that give +1 to hit and +2 to damage? I think I can live with that. :P

Surgo
2009-12-15, 07:29 PM
No, it wouldn't help. When you're attacking with your greatsword you don't really care that your axe also gets a +1 because, well, you're attacking with your greatsword.

Temotei
2009-12-15, 07:42 PM
No, it wouldn't help. When you're attacking with your greatsword you don't really care that your axe also gets a +1 because, well, you're attacking with your greatsword.

But if for some reason the fighter in theory were to divide his efforts between melee and ranged attacks, it would help a little to have both of his main weapons boosted by the same feat. It's obviously, as stated, not a perfect fix, but it does help with the versatility of the fighter.

Tavar
2009-12-15, 07:44 PM
Would it help a bit? Of course. Much in the same way that giving a homeless man a dollar helps. He has a bit more, but not enough to make the field anywhere near even.

Cute_Riolu
2009-12-15, 07:50 PM
Would it help a bit? Of course. Much in the same way that giving a homeless man a dollar helps. He has a bit more, but not enough to make the field anywhere near even.

Well, yeah, but making fighters equivalent to casters? Not my realm of expertise. :P

Tavar
2009-12-15, 08:47 PM
Well, yeah, but making fighters equivalent to casters? Not my realm of expertise. :P

Well, to be honest, it wouldn't even push him up a tier. Heck, it wouldn't even make me want to take the feats.

Cute_Riolu
2009-12-16, 05:36 PM
Well, to be honest, it wouldn't even push him up a tier. Heck, it wouldn't even make me want to take the feats.

I know it wouldn't do anything for his tier. But what COULD make you take those feats? Maybe instead of generalizing with them, you get special abilities on a weapon that get better...

Mongoose87
2009-12-16, 05:45 PM
This makes no sense, fluff-wise, I'm sorry to say.

Temotei
2009-12-16, 08:04 PM
This makes no sense, fluff-wise, I'm sorry to say.

In the original sense of Weapon Focus, it doesn't.

In this version, you could easily fluff it as fighters gaining prowess in all weapons because of extensive training, rather than just one because they always use it (extensive training).

Giegue
2009-12-16, 08:09 PM
It dose not really give the fighter anything that pushes him up a teir nor dose it give him anything new. The best way to improve the fighter would be to give him more options other then just you know, hit something, hit it some more, hit it until it dies. Give them combat maneuvers and tactics and such. The Warblade ect.. classes do that well, and Tome of battle dose a good job with powering up melee as well.

Forevernade
2009-12-16, 10:22 PM
I never understood why fighter bonus feats could only be picked from the fighter bonus feat list, and not the general list too. If fighter bonus feats were general bonus feats they would be much better. Fighters are about versatility yes?