PDA

View Full Version : Fully prepared sorcerer vs non-optimized party [3.5 DM question]

pffh
2009-12-15, 05:17 PM
In the next session or two the campaign I'm running is coming to an end as the party closes in on the BBEG, the only problem is I've never DM'ed or even played d&d above level 5 even though I've been DMing for 5-6 years, that is until now.
The party should be level 8 when they get to the BBEG but I have no idea how to handle the encounter.
The party:
Half-orc barbarian/rogue
Human Monk
Elf Blaster wizard
Human Warblade (I think, it was some class from ToB)
And a DMPC (now, now before you begin it's a level 8 sorcerer that will be introduced close to the end of the last session. He's heavily injured and can't move more then 5ft per turn and can't cast over 1st level spells and casting or moving takes him a full round) that will be my character when the next DM takes over.

Vs
If any of my players are on these forums: Ekki lesa spoilerinn og drullist til að fara að læra.
Level 2 rakshasa sorcerer (cast's as a level 9 sorcerer)

The BBEG will not be aware of when the party moves into his sanctuary but he will be and he will start buffing himself as soon as they trip an alarm spell in a certain corridor. I'm Thinking about having him use Mage armor, mirror image, fly, shield, invisibility, in that order so if the party move fast they should be able to get to him before he finishes. He will then use grease and web to slow them down while he finishes buffing and then blasts them from the ceiling.

So would that be to hard for the party? They don't want me to go easy on them and I want to play the BBEG as realistically as I can but I want to avoid a TPK.

Yukitsu
2009-12-15, 05:21 PM
Shouldn't be a TPK, but it looks like they'll have a hard time. The party looks focused towards doing damage, but the caster will have trouble with the SR, and the others have to get past his buffs and DR. Should be interesting.