PDA

View Full Version : Best +0 Metamagics?

Tyndmyr
2009-12-15, 05:51 PM
Energy Substitution is a classic, and handy, what are some other good options?

I tend to shy away from the biggies, like quicken, twin spell, etc until late game, and Im trying to figure out good options for early MM choices(possibly retrained later).

Glimbur
2009-12-15, 05:55 PM
Invisible Spell from Cityscape. It's deliciously vague on what happens, for example, if you start using invisible summons, or invisible grease, or about three thousand other uses.

NEO|Phyte
2009-12-15, 05:56 PM
Invisible Spell from Cityscape. It's deliciously vague on what happens, for example, if you start using invisible summons, or invisible grease, or about three thousand other uses.

Plus the classic Invisible Invisibility.

Yukitsu
2009-12-15, 05:58 PM
I usually put that on my callings when I'm playing shadow weave mages.

Eldariel
2009-12-15, 06:19 PM
Sanctum Spell is by far the best in that it's completely broken and is awesome for all the reasons except the intended one.
1) You can make spells count as one level higher, allowing for early qualification for MANY things (you can cast "level 3 spells" with Sanctum Spell and level 2 spells) among other things
2) You can apply Level X abilities more easily; e.g. Lesser Metamagic Rod can be used with a Sanctum Spelled level 4 spell.

So yeah, it's the best, but that's 'cause it does everything except what it's supposed to do.

pffh
2009-12-15, 06:21 PM
Plus the classic Invisible Invisibility.

Invisible invisible servant.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-15, 06:25 PM

Oh right, I did select that for one of my current wizards. The thought of an invisible wall of fire was just too awesome to pass up.

Course, that same wizard also knows fabricate and Major Creation. Huh. Time for some fun.

Roc Ness
2009-12-15, 06:44 PM
The gaming section on this site has some +0 metamagics. Not sure of you guy's opinions, though.

Kylarra
2009-12-15, 06:52 PM
While not technically metamagic, I've always liked spell thematics, but my personal favorite +0 metamagic is born of the three thunders.

Gensh
2009-12-15, 07:15 PM
Lord of the Uttercold, if you ever use undead or else enjoy being evil. You need Cold Substitution, though.

Zom B
2009-12-15, 09:20 PM
I seem to remember a Split Spell feat somewhere (not Split Ray) that divided a targeted spell among two targets and each one did half damage. It was a +0 adjustment.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-15, 09:24 PM
That last one seems pretty darn useful for a few things...anything fell drained, for example. Or things that do damage+effect, getting you more mileage from a spell.

Im gonna have to look that up.

Of course, all the sudden metamagics apply, which I'm convinced are underrated. They let you pull off some fun stuff that can only otherwise be accomplished via metamagic reduction stacking, and the on-the-fly flexibility of them is pretty nice too.

Moff Chumley
2009-12-15, 09:29 PM
Invisible Spell... I want to get Cityscape now, even though I don't play 3.5. Maybe I can adapt it to my 4ed sorcerer. What exactly does it do?

deuxhero
2009-12-15, 09:31 PM
Snow casting and energy sub and born of 3 thunders are all neat, just add explosive spell.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-15, 09:34 PM
Locate City bomb has a few issues with it.

That said, snowcasting, flash frost, and lord of the uttercold seem like a lovely combo with....pretty much anything, really.

Milskidasith
2009-12-15, 09:53 PM
Locate City Bomb works better if repeated, twinned, and fell drained (no Born of Three Thunders). IIRC, it deals 1 cold damage to everybody (not amazing) and one negative level (more amazing), no save, twice per round for two rounds. Rather than blast everything... it just starts the wightocalypse.

Yukitsu
2009-12-15, 09:58 PM
Snow casting and energy sub and born of 3 thunders are all neat, just add explosive spell.

Doesn't really work.

Now permanent image with sculpt spell and those same feats, and a boatload of time, and you can get the same city into that state for pretty much ever.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-15, 10:07 PM
Oh, the wightpocalpse version works just fine.

Flash frost actually does 2 dmg/spell level, so you can get a bit of damage out of it to go along with the negative levels.

So...leave an invisible, flash frosted, fell drained wall of fire out. Thats a total of what, +3? Arcane thesis would fix that up in a heartbeat. Or being an incantatrix.

Hmm, I wonder if there's any amusing way to get Persist to apply to this...probably not. You could cast sonorous hum, though, and persist that. I guess the invisible wall of freezing fiery death would last until you got bored of the sonorous hum. Or you could make it permanent, I guess. Whichever.

Shape the wall of fire into a circle. Leave suitable bait in the middle. A few gold coins, for instance. Something to provoke the commoners curiosity.

Leave the dangerous side facing inward, since by raw, heat only emanates from one side.

Should be quite effective at killing off commoners, but it might actually be too dangerous...possibly killing off the wights it creates. Mmm, got to be a solution to that.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-15, 10:10 PM
Heck, what am I thinking...Lord of the Uttercold solves that problem too.

Negative energy...perfect. Makes the area not terribly dangerous to the wights, but avoids any reasonable shot at resisting it, since it now deals three different damage types.

Optimystik
2009-12-15, 11:39 PM
Invisible Spell... I want to get Cityscape now, even though I don't play 3.5. Maybe I can adapt it to my 4ed sorcerer. What exactly does it do?

Exactly what it says on the tin - your spells turn invisible.

Roc Ness
2009-12-15, 11:46 PM
*Casts Invisible Fireball*

"Arrgh! What the heck was that?!"
"I dunno."
"Some sort of explosion, but I don't see anything."
"You didn't see anything."
"Are my clothes burning off?"
"No."
"Then why am I in pain, and my clothes are slowly blackening and receding?"
"No reason."
"But-"
"Do you see flames?"
"No, but I-"
"There, see? Your fine."
"... I still feel burning agony."
"You and your imagination."

Darrin
2009-12-15, 11:54 PM
What exactly does it do?

Inflict Serious Migrane, Target: DM, Duration: Instantaneous. Even for simple spells like obscuring mist... disguise self... summon monster... actually, I'm not sure you can find any spell that it doesn't cause some sort of WTF? headscratcher, even the direct damage stuff.

Ernir
2009-12-16, 12:17 AM
*Casts Invisible Fireball*

"Arrgh! What the heck was that?!"
"I dunno."
"Some sort of explosion, but I don't see anything."
"You didn't see anything."
"Are my clothes burning off?"
"No."
"Then why am I in pain, and my clothes are slowly blackening and receding?"
"No reason."
"But-"
"Do you see flames?"
"No, but I-"
"There, see? Your fine."
"... I still feel burning agony."
"You and your imagination."

If the invisible fireball were to set something on fire, the resulting flames would still be mundane and visible. :smalltongue:

Inflict Serious Migrane, Target: DM, Duration: Instantaneous. Even for simple spells like obscuring mist... disguise self... summon monster... actually, I'm not sure you can find any spell that it doesn't cause some sort of WTF? headscratcher, even the direct damage stuff.

Some buff spells might be OK, namely the ones that aren't very flashy to begin with. Invisible Owl's Wisdom?

Not all of them, though.
Invisible Polymorph! \o/

Optimystik
2009-12-16, 12:30 AM
It's not foolproof - unlike regular invisibility, Detect Magic and similar spells explicitly reveal everything, instead of just letting you know something is there.

And of course, See Invisibility and True Seeing do the same.

Invisible Obscuring Mist... well, that's what we'd call "defeats the purpose" at my table :smalltongue: along with most invisible illusions.

Ernir
2009-12-16, 12:36 AM
Invisible Obscuring Mist... well, that's what we'd call "defeats the purpose" at my table :smalltongue: along with most invisible illusions.

Maybe to make the Wizard with See Invisibility think he's going crazy, when he tries to point it out. :smallbiggrin:

gallagher
2009-12-16, 12:46 AM
is occular spell a metamagic feat?

its from lords of magic

Ernir
2009-12-16, 12:53 AM
is occular spell a metamagic feat?

its from lords of magic

Yes, it is.

EDIT: You mean Lords of Madness, right?

Fortuna
2009-12-16, 12:56 AM
Maybe to make the Wizard with See Invisibility think he's going crazy, when he tries to point it out. :smallbiggrin:

RAW, wouldn't that have the normal effects anyway, as well as being invisible?

Khanderas
2009-12-16, 02:55 AM
RAW, wouldn't that have the normal effects anyway, as well as being invisible?
Problebly.
So your vision is blocked by nothing special at all, you just cant see anything ahead of you.
Gaze into nothingness ! Mwhahaa.
Thats a mindbreaker right there. Roll Sanitycheck.

Fortuna
2009-12-16, 02:59 AM
Awesome. I am going to give that to some NPC, and wait to see what my PCs do about it.

2xMachina
2009-12-16, 03:03 AM

Summon Invisible Fog + Normal Illusions. Screws with True Seers.

You either see the illusions, or see nothing.

Ganurath
2009-12-16, 03:05 AM
Depending on how thoroughly you can abuse either Celerity or Twin Spell, Cooperative Spell may be a viable option.

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-16, 09:10 AM
Depending on how thoroughly you can abuse either Celerity or Twin Spell, Cooperative Spell may be a viable option.

Blasphemy!

Ganurath
2009-12-16, 12:31 PM
It's true! All you need to do is convince the DM that the Arcane Thesis on the spell allows the Twin/Cooperative Combo to make the spell cooperate with itself! Alternately, the Thesis allows it to be done with Celerity, which is a trivial edition because you'll be adding Born of Three Thunders, so you'll be dazed anyhow.

Funny Idea: Twinned Celerity.