PDA

View Full Version : Weather extremes

Lioness
2009-12-15, 07:40 PM
I thought I'd start one here, to move the topic from the pictures thread ^_^

At the moment in Australia, we're getting temperatures of about 38-39C (100F). It's not the highest we go. We'll probably get a couple of days of 45 (113), maybe even a 46 (114.8) this summer. Apart from that though, it's about the highest we should go *hopes*

What do you guys do to combat the heat, or the cold, if you get rather cold weather. In our part of Aus, we rarely get below 11C (51.8) in the daytime, and about -2 (28.4) at night.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-12-15, 07:50 PM
Isn't that called The Desert? :smallamused:

In my neck of the woods we don't really have seasons per se. It might be 80's (F) in winter, and snowing in june. Then a week later it switches.

If you wanna go for wild weather though... in 2 years I've been through many hurricanes, narrowly missed by over three dozens tornadoes, gone through a horrible drought, and then substantial flooding. I've felt the shaking of earthquakes and seen the flash of daily lightening.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-12-15, 07:52 PM
Well, this morning in Korea it was +12F (-11C), so I wore thermal underwear under my jeans, a tshirt under my long sleeve shirt, a knit hat under the hood of my winter coat, and gloves. My daughter wore a scarf, coat and gloves, but no hat so as not to mess up her hair. But she's in a warm school building all day, while I can easily find myself out in the field.

Yeah, I miss Hawaii, where the days are 84F (29C) and the nights are 75F (24C) pretty much year round.

It was 78F (26C) in February, and a friend of mine asked when it started getting cold. I told him that it was the Dead of Winter, but not to worry, it would warm up in a few weeks. :smallbiggrin:

Dr. Bath
2009-12-15, 07:52 PM
One time, get this, it was more than 30 degree centigrade.

Another time it even snowed. Our weather is so hardcore.

Crazy!

Interestingly, the UK has the most tornadoes in the world (as a tornado density or somesuch). Strange but true.

DraPrime
2009-12-15, 08:09 PM
We don't have extreme weather (except for crazy snow), but more extreme weather shifts. New England never really has stable weather. Really, if you're unhappy with the current state of things, just wait five minutes. It'll change.

Lioness
2009-12-15, 08:24 PM
Gah. I just spent 10 minutes outside hanging out and bringing in the washing. I melted.

Oh, and I guarantee you that by the time this load is finished (about 15 minutes to go), the last lot, which were rather wet, will be dry.

And it's as windy as a beach. Winds strong enough to bowl over a small child.

Mauve Shirt
2009-12-15, 08:44 PM
I enjoy east coast weather. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter, neither as extreme as in other places. Sometimes there's snow, and it's fun.

Phae Nymna
2009-12-15, 08:54 PM
New Orleans has been barraged by rain storms of epic proportions, even though we're out of hurricane season.

Crimmy
2009-12-15, 08:54 PM
Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico.

The city of neverending spring, as it is called, is great. The weather right now is kinda cool in the mornings and nights, with a vibrant 25º in the afternoon, though we've had 32º once or twice this year.

It's great for vacations, and sometimes for living here.

waterpenguin43
2009-12-15, 08:59 PM
I enjoy the ludicrous rain I receive here in Vancouver, interestingly, it never floods (thanks to the big downhill drop), and lightning never sets it on fire (thanks to the rain.), so the rain is a miracle to me.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-12-15, 09:06 PM
I crank my fan up to eleven.

Although, the dial only actually goes up to three.

Innis Cabal
2009-12-15, 09:08 PM
Interestingly, the UK has the most tornadoes in the world (as a tornado density or somesuch). Strange but true.

Tell that to middle America...I think you'll be surprised. The UK has the most Tornadic Coverage based on its size (Which isn't saying -much-. They could get 20 Tornado's a year and it'd still beat out anywhere else simply from a size point of view). But the U.S boasts (not sure if thats the best word to use but moving right along) over a whopping 1k tornado's early on average. This is mostly due to the above mentioned Middle America which does not have enough significant wind disruption to prevent funnel clouds and wind shear from forming.

As for living around the Great Lakes....ya. We get some crazy weather...lake effect snow....yeeesh.

wxdruid
2009-12-16, 12:44 AM
Some interesting tornado facts: The median number of tornadoes per year in the US is 1290.

U.S. Tornado Climatology (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/severeweather/tornadoes.html) - An interesting article on Tornadoes.

According to NOAA's Storm Prediction Center, preliminary estimates indicate that there were 2192 reported tornadoes from January-December 2008, which is well above the ten-year average. Of these tornadoes, 36 were rated EF3-EF5, which is equivalent to the average number of strong to violent tonadoes which have been reported over the period 1950-2008. Note that these numbers represent preliminary tornado reports and not the final number of total tornadoes.

The 2009 preliminary tornado count by the end of November was 1,110, with June being the most active month this year with 268 confirmed tornado reports. The annual tornado count is on track to be one of the top five quietest years this decade. The only months to experience more tornadoes than the past 3-year average was April, June, and July. The 2009 count is subject to change as more tornado reports are confirmed.

So, a very active year in 2008 and a relatively quiet year for tornadoes in 2009.

Monthly and Annual U.S. Tornado Summaries (http://www.spc.ncep.noaa.gov/climo/online/monthly/newm.html)

Roukon
2009-12-16, 01:17 AM
Where I'm from we have a nice long winter. Most years it lasts close to 6 months. When I tell people that, they think I am kidding until I tell them that I have seen it snowing in September and I have seen snowing in May. Not in the same year, but usually it starts mid-October and ends mid-March. That in and of itself isn't that bad, but it also gets cold in the winter. I have been outside in -40 F temperature and under the old wind chill scale was a factor of -60. I wasn't outside for very long and was completely bundled up. That isn't as extreme as most of our winters, usually we get to a balmy -10 F or so for the daytime high in the middle of winter. It is to the point where it is not uncommon to see people in Janurary out in t-shirts and jeans, because it has warmed up...to about 10-15 F above 0.

Compareatively, summer are not that bad. True we do usually get high 80 to mid 90s F for temperature most of the summer, and on occasion we get to the 100s, and the humidity is terrible, but you get used to it. Granted, it is also close to 6 months long.

However, the fun part of the weather here is the variety. Just a few weeks ago, we were unseasonably warm, and were staying in the 40s F for highs. Few people were afraid we wouldn't get any snow for winter, but good old Mother Nature came through in the end.

There are two sayings that sum up the weather in this area quite nicely.

"We have two seasons here, winter and construction."
"If you don't like the weather in ND/SD/MN, wait a week."

Later Days,
Roukon

Amiel
2009-12-16, 01:33 AM
Just got back from watching the weather report; it did reach 39C today. Not only did it reach it, it exceeded it; apparently 'twas 40C in some areas of the city, and also out in the 'burbs.
Remember that time our temperature reached 46C (114F)? It was this year, and some of the bushfire ravaged areas recorded temperatures of 49C (120F).

I so do not want to live in Mildura or any of the other Victorian towns up north, like Swan Hill; it regularly tops and exceeds 40C degrees up there (that's within the numbers of 104 to 110 F or thereabouts) O_O

As for our city by the bay, it doesn't get too cold here over the winter. It doesn't snow, although there was the one year where it snowed during summer (that's WTFBBQ weird), but it doesn't rain that often either; who knows how Victoria ended up bearing the Garden State as something representative. When it gets hot, its gets super hot, not unlike the temperatures found in deserts, however, Melbourne is one of the more southerly cities, one that is close to Antarctica.

Still, I wouldn't want to live any where else; especially not anywhere else when the annual flooding season rolls around. It flooded so much in Queensland and Northern NSW that nearly the entirety of Queensland and much of that part of NSW was submerged...while the southern parts of Australia baked in what pretty much amounted to an oven.

Oh, almost forgot, apparently the meteorologists predicted that temperatures down here in Melbourne would reach 50C (122F) over the summer. Given our track record so far, it was extremely hot over a week period near the end of November, I would imagine not only would this predicted and projected temperature be reached but would be exceeded, and not only would it remain for one day but for several O_O

FoE
2009-12-16, 02:08 AM
Over the weekend, it was quite literally colder in the region of Edmonton, Alberta, than anywhere on earth except Siberia. The temperature dropped down to somewhere in the neighbourhood of -50C.

I combatted the problem by not going outside.

Serpentine
2009-12-16, 02:08 AM
In Armidale in November 2006, it snowed. In November 2009, a heatwave peaked at 34.5oC. That's Spring, by the way. Armidale's meant to be mild, with very distinct seasons. There is meant to be a definite Spring between Winter and Summer :smallsigh:
We have also had several huge hailstorms - stones the size of... well, this:
http://australiasevereweather.com/photography/photos/1996/0929zz08.jpg

Carpeting the ground like... this:
http://thewolery.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/20061221hail.jpg

Damage that took months, even years, to fix. Like this:
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/12/22/armidale3_wideweb__470x353,2.jpg
(that was the Armidale Livestock Exhibition Centre)

Funners.

Finally, yesterday we had a big sudden storm that lasted maybe half an hour. It was enough to flood the creek that goes through the centre of town... but only for about an hour and a half.

UnChosenOne
2009-12-16, 02:18 AM
Around here weather is guite nice today. It's sunny (sun rises over horizont for 4-5 hours) and tempature is just -24C.

onthetown
2009-12-16, 07:10 AM
I live in Canada and it's surprisingly not that cold, though PEI is pretty close to the northern states anyway. We're surrounded by water and we're a small island so we get some pretty crazy, abrupt changes, but it only just started snowing for the year last week.

But it'll snow right into May sometimes...

I heard that in Edmonton, Alberta, it was -40 C and felt like -50 C or something. Thank god we're nowhere close.

KuReshtin
2009-12-16, 07:39 AM
All my family back in Sweden told me that it was snowing yesterday.
I was jealous.
I want snow. I like snow.
Snow is good.

Instead, we've got about 2-3 degrees C and no precipitation atall, which is kind of weird for the West coast of Scotland.

Erothayce
2009-12-16, 07:47 AM
Oh the wonderful state of California where 50 degrees is considered cold and 40 is break out the parkas. Generally California doesn't have weather but this year that have been some strange things happening like snow in Sacramento which happened last I think 6 years ago. I consider 50 to be thermal and sweatshirt weather. I would die if I moved anywhere else.

Lioness
2009-12-16, 07:49 AM
We've gone from dry, sunny, and 39C this morning, to thunder, lightning, rain, and about 20C this evening.

Explain please!

Amiel
2009-12-16, 07:53 AM
Your area maybe, over where I am, it's still freaking hot, with no breeze, no noticeable change in temperature, stifling heat and fans running non-stop.
What would I give for thunder, lightning, and rain!

Lioness
2009-12-16, 08:36 AM
Have ours, it scares me. It's so close, and it's not sheet lightning. It's 'split the sky open with jagged striking bolts of purple' type lightning.

KuReshtin
2009-12-16, 09:13 AM
Oh the wonderful state of California where 50 degrees is considered cold and 40 is break out the parkas. Generally California doesn't have weather but this year that have been some strange things happening like snow in Sacramento which happened last I think 6 years ago. I consider 50 to be thermal and sweatshirt weather. I would die if I moved anywhere else.

At 50F (about 10C) I've not even started thinking about finding a jacket or even a long sleeved shirt. Unless it stats raining, which wil prompt me to walk a little faster and think about finding a jacket or something, just to stay a bit dryer.

I've been known to hand over my jacket in the dead of winter to friends while standing in line waiting for a taxi at the end of a night out when it's about -5C (low 20sF) without any problem.

Then again, I have my natural insulation and I grew up in Sweden, so I'm kind of used to the cold.

Lioness
2009-12-16, 09:20 AM
At 50F (about 10C) I've not even started thinking about finding a jacket or even a long sleeved shirt. Unless it stats

:O

At 10C I'm rugged up inside with several layers of clothing and a warm snuggly boyfriend.

Eldan
2009-12-16, 09:25 AM
Wait... shouldn't Sweden be a little colder than -5 in the middle of the winter? I mean, we get -10 regularly here, and you are way farther up north.

It's still above zero during the day, though, so coats aren't really necessary, except for the rain. It's still pullover and thin jacket weather.

rakkoon
2009-12-16, 09:37 AM
Sweden has nice warm water surrounding it?
-3C here and -9C tonight. Which is the coldest it gets here and my plan is not to leave my house today!
Tomorrow I have to go to work and the plan is ... suffering actually since I don't have thermic underwear. Perhaps something for X-mas

Lioness
2009-12-16, 09:37 AM
The sadistic part of me says Yeah? You cope with cold weather easily? Let's move you from your sub-zero winter into our 47C summers, and see how you cope

But then I remember that I deal with summer just as badly as I deal with winter, but with a lot less warm snuggly boyfriend, a lot more air conditioner, and a lot less clothes.

Eldan
2009-12-16, 09:40 AM
Sure. You have me there. I try not the leave the house when it gets above 25° in the summer. And stay somewhere both close to the shower and the fridge. Over about 30°, my brain stops working correctly.

KuReshtin
2009-12-16, 10:16 AM
Wait... shouldn't Sweden be a little colder than -5 in the middle of the winter? I mean, we get -10 regularly here, and you are way farther up north.

It's still above zero during the day, though, so coats aren't really necessary, except for the rain. It's still pullover and thin jacket weather.

True. Sweden tends to be colder than that inthe winter. However, my example was just that. An example of me not being bothered with -5C temperatures.
Once, when I went to school, I overslept a bit and decided to head over to the school building from my dorm not wearing a jacket. I later found out that it was -22C/-8F, which was a bit nippy, and I was glad that I only had about 100 yards from my dorm to the school building. We also ended up goingon an overnight hike when I was at that school and ended up sleeping on reindeer pelts, under the open sky, in -15C/+5F temperatures. That was pretty nice.
We had lots of warm sleeping bags and clothes on, though.:)

The sadistic part of me says Yeah? You cope with cold weather easily? Let's move you from your sub-zero winter into our 47C summers, and see how you cope

You have a point there. The same 'natural insulation' (ie. fat) I have to help me keep warm in the winter makes things a bit of a pain in the summer heat. I start sweating profusely if I have to do any major physical activity when the temperatures go past 25-30C/80F+. Past 40C, I'll stop functioning altogether.

Serpentine
2009-12-16, 11:45 AM
We've gone from dry, sunny, and 39C this morning, to thunder, lightning, rain, and about 20C this evening.

Explain please!You're in NSW, right? Maybe somewhere northish? We had pretty much the same here.

We've bought a standing fan, so the hot days are pretty much bearable now :smallsmile: ...well, as long as I stay inside most of the time :smallsigh: It has been more normal Armidale spring/early summer weather lately, though, mostly high 20s and not straying too far into the 30s.

Kneenibble
2009-12-16, 02:12 PM
Over the weekend, it was quite literally colder in the region of Edmonton, Alberta, than anywhere on earth except Siberia. The temperature dropped down to somewhere in the neighbourhood of -50C.

I combatted the problem by not going outside.

I heard about that madness. Is it still unnatural over there?

I know the pain of deadly northron cold, there's a quite justified reputation for this city as a wintry hell. Had some -35 C nights last week with a windchill pushing it into -45. But it's a dry cold. The 100-year old windows at the front of my house are gaudy with frosting. :smallcool:

But I also know the pain of the glancing southron sun, from that summer in Chennai. 33 C had been the utter OMGHOT apex of our summer heat wave here, and then after tasting these extremes you Australians describe on a bicycle in downtown 3rd-world traffic at noon, like 45, 47 C with humidity thick enough to grab a handful, I never complain about heat, ever. I'd so much rather bear great cold than great heat.

Between sweat and the occasional foodborne illness, I became like a forked radish with a head on top, a man carved of a cheese paring after dinner, a hermit's staff. (Well, I still kinda am, just not so sunburnt)

FoE
2009-12-16, 04:13 PM
I heard about that madness. Is it still unnatural over there?

Shockingly, it's warmed up to something like -17C, and it's supposed to get up to -2C tomorrow!

I know the pain of deadly northron cold, there's a quite justified reputation for this city as a wintry hell. Had some -35 C nights last week with a windchill pushing it into -45. But it's a dry cold. The 100-year old windows at the front of my house are gaudy with frosting. :smallcool:

I wouldn't mind the frost and the cold so much if it didn't turn driving into a game of bumper cars.

33 C had been the utter OMGHOT apex of our summer heat wave here, and then after tasting these extremes you Australians describe on a bicycle in downtown 3rd-world traffic at noon, like 45, 47 C with humidity thick enough to grab a handful, I never complain about heat, ever. I'd so much rather bear great cold than great heat.

Yeah, I tend to agree. I mean, the extreme cold would be unbearable if we didn't have centralized heating, but we do. And I tend to suffer horribly whenever the temperature rises to above 30C.

zeratul
2009-12-16, 04:45 PM
The area I live in is known for it's extreme cold and abundance of snow. it's gone down to -40 degrees Fahrenheit in winters, and it commonly goes down to about - 25(F), plus there's windchill to account for. Then there's the large amounts of snow with the occasional blizzard or snowstorm. It's pretty much a horrible place for anyone who doesn't like snow or cold to live.

Combating the cold isn't that hard, I wear a trench coat almost every day and have long hair so my head and body aren't much of an issue, plus I'm almost always wearing leather boots so I don;t have to make the adjustment to wearing boots in winter. I find that the biggest problem is finding gloves that both let you keep your dexterity and actually keep out the cold.

That said I'd much rather deal with the cold than the heat, then again given my heritage I'm slightly more geared towards the freezing cold than the blazing heat. Plus when it's hot there's no snowbanks for me to push people in to.

Zocelot
2009-12-16, 05:19 PM
Yesterday, in Toronto, it was raining lava sharks. That wasn't much fun, but I can't think of anything more extreme.

Miklus
2009-12-16, 09:27 PM
I was jealous.
Snow is good.

We got snow here in Denmark too. The police are telling people to avoid travel by road and APC's have been recruited as ambulances. Yesterday was the first day of snow AKA "anual bumper car day"...When will people learn?

It is quite beautiful, though. It had those really big flakes that fall slowly.

Kneenibble
2009-12-16, 10:33 PM
Yesterday, in Toronto, it was raining lava sharks. That wasn't much fun, but I can't think of anything more extreme.

Had you eaten some kind of mushroom, or do you mean this idiomatically as some actual event?

Shockingly, it's warmed up to something like -17C, and it's supposed to get up to -2C tomorrow!
We had a strange cold snap concurrent (but not as fierce) with Alberta's here, too. Have you been having weirdo weather patterns since the summer as well?

Amiel
2009-12-17, 05:46 AM
Okay, Melbourne weather, you are seriously random. It just rained very heavily recently and it's even kinda cold; this is, of course, after the scorcher of a day we had yesterday (even worse was western Sydney today which topped a temperature of 42C).

We do need the rain and it should definitely rain more; apparently tomorrow will be 22C or thereabouts, a change of at least 18 degrees and that's just within two short days. This is summer weather mind you.

Lioness
2009-12-17, 06:02 AM
Tell Adelaide's weather off as well. It's done the same thing.

onthetown
2009-12-17, 06:47 AM
Urrrrg, I forgot about the one thing that PEI graces us with all winter, even without huge amounts of snow... Ice! I've been prying my car door open with a butter knife every morning. It's not even that cold! :smallmad:

I remember spending a winter out in the Alberta countryside when I was younger. It was freezing cold, but at least there wasn't a coating of ice over everything! The horses actually walked steadily across the ground... here, they slip and slide their way across hole-filled frozen mud.

I guess it could be worse.

Archonic Energy
2009-12-17, 07:25 AM
I was jealous.
Snow is good.

Instead, we've got about 2-3 degrees C and no precipitation atall, which is kind of weird for the West coast of Scotland.

how can it be snowing here in London but not in Scotland?

KuReshtin
2009-12-17, 07:53 AM
how can it be snowing here in London but not in Scotland?

I was just about to write something that would have got the thread locked, so I decided not to.

I'll just say that it's because you guys are luckier than us, and leave it at that. You suck!

Archonic Energy
2009-12-17, 07:58 AM
I was just about to write something that would have got the thread locked, so I decided not to.

I'll just say that it's because you guys are luckier than us, and leave it at that.

But everyone knows it's colder oop north... i thought you lot'd be snowed in by now!

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-17, 08:56 AM
You know all world's gone to hell and there's no global warming when it snows in Vancouver. Dammit, I _liked_ when there was never any snow around here :frown:

PS: actually the snow was 4 days ago and melted 2 days ago, but it's a sign of things to come, considering even 5 years ago it was +15 the whole winter despite all the rain.

Serpentine
2009-12-17, 09:14 AM
You know all world's gone to hell and there's no global warming when it snows in Vancouver.Actually, climate change predicts more extreme weather, including snow where there isn't usually. The first part, sure, why not.

Amiel
2009-12-17, 09:36 AM
What does it tell us when snow fell in Melbourne one year in the middle of summer? :smalleek:

Serpentine
2009-12-17, 09:48 AM
Like I said: more extreme weather. Also Melbournes sucks :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2009-12-17, 11:58 AM
Woohoo!!! Snow!!! :smile:

Oh, wait.. Dammit. It's gone again. :smallfrown:

Trog
2009-12-17, 12:15 PM
Our record temperature extremes here:
108°F (42.2°C) and -35°F (-37.2°C) in my lifetime at least, and those are both within the past 13 years or so. So a good 143°F variance (79.4°C).

On a related note we recently got 17" (43.2 cm) of snow here in 24 hours.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-17, 01:35 PM
What does it tell us when snow fell in Melbourne one year in the middle of summer? :smalleek:
That you're having a normal winter, like you know, the rest of the world? :amused:

Mary Leathert
2009-12-17, 01:42 PM
Finland's an interesting country when it comes to weather. At the moment, it is around -15 Celsius, but it could be +5 and it wouldn't be too weird. (People would just complain that the winters aren't what they used to be.)

How cold it is during the winter really depends on how north or south one lives. In the south, -15 isn't that common, but in the north, it's nothing. It can go down to -25 even in the very south, and there have been times when it goes to -30 (but that is very rare in the south). And the east-west axis also affects the weather. That's because there is sea in the west, so weather tends to be milder here (I come from the western coast, quite south) both during summer and winter. In the east there's usually colder, but also more snow (which I'm jealous of).

In the summer, weather usually stays over +15, and can go up to +30 (which isn't as rare as those -30 days in the south, but rare nevertheless). We think it's starting to get quite hot when it's over +25 Celsius.

So, where I live, temperature can change quite a lot, and quite fast. (Couple of days ago it was still +2 or +3). Luckily, I'm prepared. When the temperature is what it is now, I wear long underpants and a long-sleeved undershirt under a warm sweater and normal trousers or jeans when I'm inside. When I go outside I add a warm coat that is long enough to cover my butt (so that I won't freeze when biking), mittens, scarf, some kind of hat that covers my ears (those get cold easily) and trousers that are probably supposed to be used when downhill skiing. And boots that have some stuffing to keep the cold out. If it gets too cold inside, I wrap myself in a blanket and/or put warm socks on. And drink hot drinks, like tea.
During those too hot days of summer, I try to wear as loose and light (both in colour and weight) clothing as possible, open all windows, try to stay in the shadow, eat ice cream or go swimming. This usually helps.

Yay for a country where the weather can change a lot but isn't that extreme. We don't get tornadoes, flash floods, droughts, extremely heavy rains, etc. Nor earthquakes, forest fires and other nasty things that aren't directly weather. I kinda like living here. :smalltongue:

Zaggab
2009-12-17, 01:48 PM
Where I am (Northern Sweden), it's -19 C (-2,2 F) right now. It's the coldest so far this winter, though it's not really that cold. Usually, we have a few days with about -30 somtime in January or February each winter.

So far, we don't have that much snow, barely 10 cm, but more is coming according to the forecasts. What snow we have came during tuesday and wednesday this week. Usually, we have about 1 m of snow when it lays the thickest.

The most annoying part of winter here is that the sun is only up for 4 hours each day, so you barely see the sun at all if you work or go to school normal hours.

Not really that extreme, probably because I live quite near the coast. It gets worse the farther North and inland you get.

Miklus
2009-12-17, 02:14 PM
My car is in for service and rustproofing, so I had to use public transport today...

OMG it sucks! It took 2 hours and 20 minutes to get to work. It normally takes 20 minutes by car. Every time it snows, the train system breaks down. But the worst part was waiting for the bus this morning. It was so c-c-c-cold. Seriously, I waited 20-25 minutes, then I almost started walking back home. I was afraid I was getting a frostbite on my nose! ...How can you tell?

Going home was not much better, took about 2 hours. Some people complained about waiting for that damn bus for over an hour. It was -5C and windy. When the bus finally showed up, it was stormed by a horde of desperate people. There was not enough room for everyone, so it slammed the doors and drove off with half the people standing there. Better luck next time!

"Bus" as a concept does not work! Name me one other service or product that could let their customers freeze thier arses off for a hour and still be in bizness!

I'm getting my car back tomorrow and I'm never using public transportation again if I can help it. It would rather brave bumper-car-bonanza AKA Hell-on-ice on the motorway than wait for that bus again. I would rather step on a rusty nail than wait for that bus again!

thorgrim29
2009-12-17, 04:01 PM
Well, a two weeks ago it didn't even freeze at night, and now it's -18 C at midday here. Other then that.... our summers are pretty mild compared to the Aussies, as I consider over 25 to be too warm, and over 30 I only go out of the air conditioning when forced or to go swimming. Our winters are a bit more brutal to say the least, it can go down to -30 at the very least in january/february, and there's a lot of biting cold wind. Also it snows a lot, a few years ago (Valentine's day 2006 or 7) we had about 2.5 to 3 feet of snow in a day. Getting home that night was not fun, the buses had been canceled because they couldn't get up the street the station is on, so me and two of my friends ended up digging up a car belonging to one of them (it had pretty much fused with the piles of snow in the parking lot) and taking turns pushing until we got out of the really bad traffic. Then my whole family spent the evening shoveling the driveway, and most of the next two days too (it continued snowing)

Serpentine
2009-12-18, 12:13 AM
Apparently one of the recommendations for Australia from that Copenhagen thing was that we stop the bushfires. Really? You think that would help? Gee, thanks, we didn't think of that :sigh:

Amiel
2009-12-18, 03:03 AM
Like I said: more extreme weather.

Pretty much, but it had to emphasised because it was one of the most astonishing things to happen. Snow during the middle of summer.

Also Melbournes sucks :smalltongue:

Envious and jealous of Melbourne? :smallamused:

That you're having a normal winter, like you know, the rest of the world? :amused:

Lies, all of it; there is no such thing as a normal winter Down Under; especially not when it would be in sync with the rest of the world; Aussies are special and proud to be it.

Apparently one of the recommendations for Australia from that Copenhagen thing was that we stop the bushfires. Really? You think that would help? Gee, thanks, we didn't think of that :sigh:

*face palm* :smallsigh:

Yeah, so we should basically destroy all native vegetation and flora then? Because eucalyptus and other natives need bushfires to survive and propagate. It's why the bushfires are so extreme here; due to the volatile oils, when vaporised allow fire to spread and travel easily throughout the forest extent and into other areas, and highly flammeable bark.
Trees have even been known to explode.

Quincunx
2009-12-18, 03:20 AM
I'm living in an area currently which doesn't get extremes of temperature. Heck, we didn't even get a summer this year. This year began at 10C, drifted up to 20 some days, and has now meandered back down to 10, which means we haven't yet gotten a winter either. I am comfy at 30C.

Mind you, last month's flood was not only extreme but extraordinary.

KuReshtin
2009-12-18, 03:49 AM
I'm living in an area currently which doesn't get extremes of temperature. Heck, we didn't even get a summer this year. This year began at 10C, drifted up to 20 some days, and has now meandered back down to 10, which means we haven't yet gotten a winter either. I am comfy at 30C.

Mind you, last month's flood was not only extreme but extraordinary.

You're thinking about the floods in the Cumbrian town of... Ehh.. I probably can't write out on the boards. I'll just link to the news article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8366360.stm) instead.

Yes, those were pretty extraordinary.

Quincunx
2009-12-18, 03:51 AM
Friggin' Cumbria getting all the publicity. . .Same storm, other side of the Irish Sea (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8373681.stm). . .we lost our infrastructure too, ours just got fixed quicker. . .muttergrumble. . .

KuReshtin
2009-12-18, 04:20 AM
Friggin' Cumbria getting all the publicity. . .Same storm, other side of the Irish Sea (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8373681.stm). . .we lost our infrastructure too, ours just got fixed quicker. . .muttergrumble. . .

I bet them having a really funny/inappropriate name helped their publicity as well.

Eldan
2009-12-18, 06:57 AM
"Bus" as a concept does not work! Name me one other service or product that could let their customers freeze thier arses off for a hour and still be in bizness!

Depends on the country, I guess. We're a small village, and still get a bus every 20 minutes, in both directions. And people complain when it's more than 2 minutes late. Once, there was surprise snow, and it was ten minutes late because it had to wait for the snow plow.

Lioness
2009-12-18, 07:23 AM
Depends on the country, I guess. We're a small village, and still get a bus every 20 minutes, in both directions. And people complain when it's more than 2 minutes late. Once, there was surprise snow, and it was ten minutes late because it had to wait for the snow plow.

Our buses are routinely about 5-10 minutes late. Occasionally they just don't come at all, which is really frustrating

Serpentine
2009-12-18, 07:27 AM
Our buses are almost always on time, heated/cooled as appropriate, and really expensive. $2.50 to get 4km.

Mauve Shirt
2009-12-18, 09:26 AM
We will get 12-18 inches of snow today! Hooray!
Not extreme or anything, but it's snow.

KuReshtin
2009-12-18, 10:04 AM
We got snow here today. And it's still on the ground. Hasn't melted yet.
Ok, so it was just a light dusting, and it made the grass outside look just a bit light green instead of the darker green it usually is, but still.
1/18th of an inch is better than nothing.

Archonic Energy
2009-12-18, 11:07 AM

ARRRGH!
so. many. jokes...
must. not. mock. the. Nerd-Hurder.

Mercenary Pen
2009-12-18, 11:18 AM
We got snow here today. And it's still on the ground. Hasn't melted yet.
Ok, so it was just a light dusting, and it made the grass outside look just a bit light green instead of the darker green it usually is, but still.

Take it from somebody south of the border, you got off fairly lightly. We got about an inch and a half or so, though everything's still up and running (not like the blizzards in February). May I mention that snow is not really one of those things I like...

Grommen
2009-12-18, 11:53 AM
At least it's cold here in the fine State of Michigan. Traffics great now a days cause no one needs to go to work cause we ain't got no jobs.

Anyway...Less than two hours from my house, due west they have several feet of snow. Here I can still see the grass. Still cold but that Lake effect thing didn't reach us, not that I mind much. Snow is great for a day or two, but after you have to slide around in the crap for a few days and it all turns brown and yellow from all the junk in the air. Snow sucks! It's considered a swear word around here.

Michigan is sandwiched between the largest fresh water lakes in the world. We get a weather report nightly (not that it helps much). We still bring jackets in the summer time and keep the cut off shorts close at hand in the middle of the winter. One year it might be 50f at Christmas time, the next day -10f. Summers run in the 70's to 90's, with the occasional chance of all hell breaking loose :smallsigh:. I've personally seen over a dozen tornado's pass by my house in the past twenty years.

Can't imagen life any other way though.

Miklus
2009-12-18, 12:56 PM

Sorry about my grumbyness. Buses are usually fine here, but the first snow always brings total chaos.

My coworker counted 10 wrecked or abandoned cars on his way to work. So roads are not much better. It will be -10C or colder tonight. Brrrrrr! All the sludge on the roads will freeze rock solid.