PDA

View Full Version : truneaming q quick

dougch
2009-12-15, 08:31 PM
can you use quicken SLA to quicken a truename, and can you do it in a zone of silence?

Yzzyx
2009-12-15, 08:48 PM
can you use quicken SLA to quicken a truename, and can you do it in a zone of silence?

I think these sorts of questions should be asked on that simple question thingy, but whatever...

In Tome of Magic, page 232, it says "Utterances are spell-like abilities with verbal components." Without doing any other research whatsoever, I would take this to mean that you can use Quicken Spell-like Ability on them, but must take it for each utterance, and you cannot use utterances if you cannot speak. If anyone disagrees with me, go with what they say. I know very little about truenaming.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-15, 09:11 PM
That's exactly what I've seen in truenaming guides, so I'd agree with your advice regarding this.

As for in a zone of silence...I presume that quickening it would work exactly as the truenaming otherwise would.

Zaq
2009-12-15, 09:21 PM
Yes and yes. Utterances are SLAs, so you can quicken them. Tome of Magic page 233 (under "The Universe Hears Just Fine") says that you can Truename in an area of Silence, but you have a 20% failure chance.