PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Does this work? (Or, "Who Needs Renegade Mastermaker?")

Zaq
2009-12-15, 09:33 PM
So, the Eberron Campaign Setting says that Warforged components "do not work when bonded to members of any other race."

Use Magic Device lets you impersonate another race with a DC 25 check.

Does this mean that a UMD-heavy character could load themselves up with Warforged components, regardless of race? Because that would be awesome.

(The same question could be asked of Quori Embedded Shards and Use Psionic Device to impersonate a Kalashtar...)
I know there's a lot more to Renegade Mastermaker than attaching components. I'm just saying.

Gralamin
2009-12-15, 10:04 PM
It's been a while since I looked at those rules, but are there any special rules on equipping them in the first place? Assuming you could however, I imagine it might.

Darrin
2009-12-15, 10:42 PM
So, the Eberron Campaign Setting says that Warforged components "do not work when bonded to members of any other race."

There may be some construct grafts that allow you to mount warforged components. For example, Mighty Arms (FoE p. 158) allow you to mount a Battlefist.

AslanCross
2009-12-15, 11:22 PM
For emulation of requirements that are continuous, you need to make the check every hour. (The example given is a book of Vile Darkness) I understand that it is possible to optimize it, but I'd rather not invest in something that isn't guaranteed to work 100% of the time.

Getting the Mighty Arms graft will allow you to equip a battlefist, though.

And Renegade Mastermaker is awesome.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-16, 12:37 AM
For emulation of requirements that are continuous, you need to make the check every hour. (The example given is a book of Vile Darkness) I understand that it is possible to optimize it, but I'd rather not invest in something that isn't guaranteed to work 100% of the time.Warlock with 16 Cha and max ranks in UMD autos the check at level 9. Artificer grabbing Skill Focus, 16 Cha, +5 item, and max ranks makes the check on a 1 at level 10. Neither of those is specifically built for this.

Interestingly enough, there are a bunch of other items you can exploit with a DC 25 check. My personal favorite being the Heartstone of a Night Hag. Level 9 spell at-will for 1,800 GP? Yes please.

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-16, 02:42 AM
Warlock with 16 Cha and max ranks in UMD autos the check at level 9. Artificer grabbing Skill Focus, 16 Cha, +5 item, and max ranks makes the check on a 1 at level 10. Neither of those is specifically built for this.

Interestingly enough, there are a bunch of other items you can exploit with a DC 25 check. My personal favorite being the Heartstone of a Night Hag. Level 9 spell at-will for 1,800 GP? Yes please.

What book is the heartstone in? MM1?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-16, 02:46 AM
What book is the heartstone in? MM1?Yeah (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/nightHag.htm). It's generally useless, but if you're able to make the DC 25 check every time, it's Ethrealness at-will.

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-16, 02:54 AM
Thanks much!

AslanCross
2009-12-16, 08:11 AM
Warlock with 16 Cha and max ranks in UMD autos the check at level 9. Artificer grabbing Skill Focus, 16 Cha, +5 item, and max ranks makes the check on a 1 at level 10. Neither of those is specifically built for this.

Hmm, you're right. Still, I think it's mostly just a bonus of how good UMD is and not anything specifically broken. I mean, the guy could just spend 1000 GP to get a Mighty Arms graft, which IMO is an easier method and can be done at a much lower level.

I still think Renegade Mastermaker is awesome, though.