PDA

View Full Version : combat fascination

quiet1mi
2009-12-16, 02:18 AM
I was wondering about the spell, Rainbow pattern... is this a save or lose spell in the heat of combat as it neutralizes 24 HD worth of opponents from the fight?

Keep in mind that this is done in the first round of combat, after everyone has gone...

quiet1mi
2009-12-17, 11:31 PM
So to clarify things, Can you use spells and effects the result in the fascination status during combat...

Given that a the low level spell can hit 24HD I imagine not, but I want to hear what you guys think...

Temotei
2009-12-17, 11:44 PM
You know there's an edit option on your posts? Just saying.

Rainbow pattern is not a save-or-lose in my interpretation, because simply drawing a weapon is threatening enough to snap them out of fascination. The same rule is probably including having weapons already out.

Surgo
2009-12-18, 12:07 AM
Fascinated is a fairly weak status condition. In order to use it to stop combat, you have to make everyone else stop being threatening to the fascinated character -- which means you can't actually move to finish them off.

So no, it's not quite a save-or-lose spell. It can work as a divide-and-conquer in a pinch, though.

Zom B
2009-12-18, 08:09 AM
If you can coordinate with your party, it can stop the battle and let you either flee or make diplomacy checks to resolve the fight. Or let the rogue sneak up on them, whatever.

Optimystik
2009-12-18, 09:28 AM
It's save-or-suck, because you deny your opponents actions, but doesn't permanently remove them as a threat. I consider it equal to, say, charm or slow.