PDA

View Full Version : Small Change Big difference...

quiet1mi
2009-12-16, 01:02 PM
I was wondering how game balance would change if there was no such thing as a material component pouch, nor would their be eschew materials... Meanwhile the material component portion of spells were strictly enforced...

This would mean that casting spells would take a standard or move action longer... How big is that?

Ernir
2009-12-16, 01:28 PM
Spellcasters would still have spell component pouches, only now they would be carrying sacks with their random crap in them instead of calling them spell component pouches.

Retrieving an item from storage is a move action. So casting a spell would generally become a move + standard action. (Unless you have an idea of what spell you generally want to cast at the beginning of combat, in which case you could simply have it in your hand.)

This would somewhat reduce casters' relative mobility compared to the mundanes.
If you use the rule that you can "draw" any item as part of a move action, it would be mitigated again, but still not quite as free as before.

Enforcing the bookkeeping of material components is a massive hassle. Making it a move action to get out a spell component is a rule I'd consider using, counting how many slabs of bat poo the Wizard has left... not really. =/

*Casts protection from ninjas*

kemmotar
2009-12-16, 01:36 PM
I'd think that spell time already took in consideration the component of the spell. After all, usually the components are not used up (except where explicitly mentioned), so depending on your interpretation of magic it could be that components need be on your person, or you just stick your hand in the pouch and that's enough...

Alternatively, lower level spells require simple components so a low level wizard wouldn't have much of a problem finding what he needs, while more experienced wizards learn by heart the contents of their pouch by necessity enabling them to find more components with the same ease...

All in all, actual casting time is usually virtually instantaneous, a few words of power, some hand waving and reality bends to your will. The reason why it is a standard action is because you need to concentrate the power and take out the appropriate component, else it would just be a free action...Also, casting spells as free actions all the time would be too broken, so it's a standard action more out of necessity...

Edit: also spell component pouches are usually strapped to the belt, not in the backpack, so removing an item from it wouldn't be too much of a hassle...However, enforcing book keeping of components would be too much. Just force them to buy a proper spell component pouch and rule that it contains all non specific components such as rubies, gold, diamond dust etc...

Edit2: actually disregard everything I just said, reread the OP and I'm off topic

Ecalsneerg
2009-12-16, 01:48 PM
I can't really comment on balance, but I can comment on fun.

Namely, the lack of. Keeping track of individual components is needless, boring and slows play. Wizards will essentially be chartered accountants in funny hats.

Devils_Advocate
2009-12-16, 03:38 PM
Yeah, D&D already effectively rewards players who are willing to do all the bookkeeping necessary to put exactly the right stuff on their character sheet, and punishes players who aren't. Pushing the game further in that direction would not be an improvement. If you want to make casting times longer, just make casting times longer.