PDA

View Full Version : [D&D] Planet's Size Category

Burley
2009-12-16, 01:30 PM
I know, it's a dumb question, I guess. But, given that generic D&D planet is the exact size of Earth, what would it's size category be?
As high as I can find, Colossal= 32 small. That seems... well, it seems to me that the planet shouldn't be able to support 32^x creatures.

Who knows math?

Ernir
2009-12-16, 01:33 PM
Umm, there is no category above Colossal. Just Colossal+. :smalltongue:

kamikasei
2009-12-16, 01:35 PM
It's not so much a dumb question as a basically meaningless one. It's like asking the size category of individual atoms. The system doesn't model it. Why would it? Why do you want it to?

BooNL
2009-12-16, 01:38 PM
SW Saga has sizes for spaceships and stuff, I think moons as well.

It's basically the same as the Colossal+ mechanism.

Burley
2009-12-16, 01:42 PM
What I mean is: The average colossal creature would have dimension X, and the planet would have dimension Y, which would be equal to X^z or (X)z or something.
Basically, if a purple worm is the size of 32 halflings, how many halflings rolled onto a Katamari ball would equal 1 earth.
(I'm not looking for a term, I'm looking for a set of numerical values.)

Myrmex
2009-12-16, 01:46 PM
Find the volume of the earth and divide it by the volume of a halfling.

...That's a ****ing weird unit.

Zom B
2009-12-16, 02:12 PM
The Earth's volume is estimated as 1,083,207,317,374 km3.

The volume of the average human being is 0.85344 m3.

So by that math, I'm coming up with 1,269,224,921,932,410 human-meters3.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-16, 02:29 PM
The prime is theoretically an infinite plane (unless you use spell jammer or that one epic spell). So don't sweat it. Otherwise, Collossal+.

Wasn't there another thread that some one mentioned a size system from another game that went to Titanic then Titanic Fine, Titanic Diminutive, Titanic Small?

HCL
2009-12-16, 03:06 PM
Are you trying to trip the planet?

Mongoose87
2009-12-16, 03:22 PM
Are you trying to trip the planet?

Or sunder it!?

Lapak
2009-12-16, 03:26 PM
Are you trying to trip the planet?Ancient-mythological explanation of earthquakes: Myth CONFIRMED.

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-16, 03:54 PM
He probably needs to know in case the planet transforms into a giant, god-like robot. :smallwink:

LibraryOgre
2009-12-16, 05:29 PM
The planet does not have a size category, for one simple reason:

You cannot fly.

As we know, AC decreases as size increases, and flying is simply a matter of throwing yourself at the ground and missing. You can choose to miss anything with an AC. If it has a size category, it has an AC, because, as we know, AC decreases with size. Since you only need to touch the ground to not be falling, the Earth's DR, HP, and natural armor bonuses are irrelevant... all that matters is size, dexterity (0), and any deflection bonus (likewise 0).

Since you can choose to miss anything with an AC, and you can't choose to miss the ground, you can't fly, the Earth does not have an AC, and thus does not have a size category.

Deth Muncher
2009-12-16, 06:42 PM

You cannot fly.

As we know, AC decreases as size increases, and flying is simply a matter of throwing yourself at the ground and missing. You can choose to miss anything with an AC. If it has a size category, it has an AC, because, as we know, AC decreases with size. Since you only need to touch the ground to not be falling, the Earth's DR, HP, and natural armor bonuses are irrelevant... all that matters is size, dexterity (0), and any deflection bonus (likewise 0).

Since you can choose to miss anything with an AC, and you can't choose to miss the ground, you can't fly, the Earth does not have an AC, and thus does not have a size category.

Jolly good usage of HHGttG. This just proves more and more that Douglas Adams is really God. :P

Freejack451
2009-12-16, 06:53 PM
Myrmex,

I just added your first post to my sig it was so funny!

Friend Computer
2009-12-16, 07:08 PM

You cannot fly.

Birds, air elementals, fly spells...

Indeed, it looks like one can fail!

drengnikrafe
2009-12-16, 07:11 PM
If, for some reason, Colossal+ was not the maximum, and, for some reason, you gave the planet a size category, it would be roughly 50 size categories above human. Assuming the planet is considered helpless, and has a -5 dex bonus to AC, it has an AC of -1.125 quadrillion. Furthermore, it has a grapple modifier of +200. I don't think there's a rules-legal way to measure it's reach.

What do we call this size category?

Colossal++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++ (if my counting is correct, which it may well not be).

LibraryOgre
2009-12-16, 07:12 PM
Birds, air elementals, fly spells...

Indeed, it looks like one can fail!

Ah, but those are exceptions. And, as we know, specific trumps general.

jindra34
2009-12-16, 07:15 PM
The big question is not if he is trying to trip or sunder it but is he trying to animate the planet. That would be a gooffy and dangerous move.

tahu88810
2009-12-16, 07:34 PM
The big question is not if he is trying to trip or sunder it but is he trying to animate the planet. That would be a gooffy and dangerous move.

"I'm going to have the earth double move so we can get to winter break that much faster!"

SurlySeraph
2009-12-16, 08:00 PM
If, for some reason, Colossal+ was not the maximum, and, for some reason, you gave the planet a size category, it would be roughly 50 size categories above human. Assuming the planet is considered helpless, and has a -5 dex bonus to AC, it has an AC of -1.125 quadrillion. Furthermore, it has a grapple modifier of +200. I don't think there's a rules-legal way to measure it's reach.

We don't want to assume that. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#helplessDefenders)

jindra34
2009-12-16, 08:05 PM
"I'm going to have the earth double move so we can get to winter break that much faster!"

more do to the fact that if the earth became a creature it would suddenly lose a large chunk of surface area. and quotably 'fall' as it does not have a fly speed.

Androgeus
2009-12-16, 08:26 PM
more do to the fact that if the earth became a creature it would suddenly lose a large chunk of surface area. and quotably 'fall' as it does not have a fly speed.

but it is falling, where the universe is a plane with objective directional gravity twoards the sun! (ok way more complex than that but meh)

edit: should defintly say to nearest most massive object, otherwise everyone could be in the sun atm

Fortuna
2009-12-16, 08:28 PM
We don't want to assume that. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#helplessDefenders)

Are you suggesting, good sir, that humans don't have the Earth at their mercy all the time? I hope not, cause I wanna see what a Coup de Grace on the Earth would do.

drengnikrafe
2009-12-16, 08:29 PM

It's immune to critical hits, so no worries about coup de graces.

I guess it doesn't even have to be helpless. It still has the same AC, more or less.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-16, 09:35 PM
Mega-Medium, by Immortals Handbook rules. That's about Colossal+ ++++++++++ +++++. *shrug*

Colossal+ ++++++++++ ++++++++++ ++++++++++ ++++++++++ +++++, as stated earlier, is Tera-Medium by Immortals Handbook rules, about the size of a solar system. So at least one source is wrong.

drengnikrafe
2009-12-16, 09:47 PM
Mega-Medium, by Immortals Handbook rules. That's about Colossal+ ++++++++++ +++++. *shrug*

Colossal+ ++++++++++ ++++++++++ ++++++++++ ++++++++++ +++++, as stated earlier, is Tera-Medium by Immortals Handbook rules, about the size of a solar system. So at least one source is wrong.

I'm willing to concede mine is almost definitely wrong. I used the mass of the earth versus the mass of a human from an earlier statement, and then used the rough guideline I have found (one size category up is twice the size)...
Wait a second...
I used mass instead of size.
CRAAAAAP!

Roc Ness
2009-12-16, 10:56 PM
Why do you want it to?

Planetary Animated Object? :smalltongue:

Sir_Elderberry
2009-12-16, 11:06 PM
With all the druids and such running around revering it, I imagine the Earth already counts as animate in most mythologies.

Amiel
2009-12-17, 09:04 AM

Atropos anyone?

Setra
2009-12-17, 09:09 AM
There was a thread a little while ago on how to use an Epic spell to Animate the Earth, but I can't find it.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-17, 10:08 AM
Earth's diameter is 41,850,920 feet so it's 8,370,184 squares on a grid.

No idea what category that places it in but if you have a 133 mile big gaming table you could plot the earth and fight it. (might consider 1/4 inch grid over the traditional 1 inch tho)

eepop
2009-12-17, 12:18 PM
Furthermore, it has a grapple modifier of +200.

So that's why we can't fly! The earth is constantly grappling us all.

Optimystik
2009-12-17, 12:31 PM
So that's why we can't fly! The earth is constantly grappling us all.

Maybe YOU can't. :smallwink:

Volkov
2009-12-18, 01:54 PM
Hmmm. Fighting Unicron might be fun. Though the HP bonus he'd get for his size category, as he is at least as big as jupiter in diameter, and thus much much more massive, would be so ridiculous that it's not worth counting.