PDA

View Full Version : What kind of dolt writes down the coordinates of a doomsday weapon, anyway?

Larkspur
2009-12-16, 03:47 PM
Seriously.

Everyone is pissed at Girard- and so they should be, because a) telling Serini his gate location was idiotic and b) that was one pointless bomb, but there wouldn't be a problem if frickin' Serini hadn't written down the coordinates for Xykon.

There is no excuse for writing them down- she could have just committed them to memory. She's a rogue; she should know better.

Manicotti
2009-12-16, 03:54 PM
Seriously.

Everyone is pissed at Girard- and so they should be, because a) telling Serini his gate location was idiotic and b) that was one pointless bomb, but there wouldn't be a problem if frickin' Serini hadn't written down the coordinates for Xykon.

There is no excuse for writing them down- she could have just committed them to memory. She's a rogue; she should know better.

Memories are subject to changing really quickly. I can't even remember what i had for breakfast.

Also, you seem to be assuming that the information wasn't encrypted by either of them. That could have made it even harder to memorize, but at least marginally safer to access should the worst (ie liches and other forces of the Evil marching around trying to access them) transpire.

TheBST
2009-12-16, 03:56 PM
So they could co-ordinate with eachother if, as Girard feared, one of them turned traitor?

Daefos
2009-12-16, 08:11 PM
Also, you seem to be assuming that the information wasn't encrypted by either of them. That could have made it even harder to memorize, but at least marginally safer to access should the worst (ie liches and other forces of the Evil marching around trying to access them) transpire.

This. Xykon mentions that the diary "took forever" to translate. While it's possible that just means that it was written in Halfling (and Xykon is unlikely to have bonus languages), language barriers are so easy for spellcasters to overcome it's not funny.

Comprehend Languages is a first level spell after all. That's just 25gp in scroll form. And I'd like to believe that the secrets of an epic level rogue and illusionist couldn't be found out by any first level wizard.

The honest illusionist
2009-12-16, 08:28 PM
And the gates weren't intended to be doomsday weapons, in the first place.

Irbis
2009-12-16, 09:26 PM
This. Xykon mentions that the diary "took forever" to translate. While it's possible that just means that it was written in Halfling (and Xykon is unlikely to have bonus languages), language barriers are so easy for spellcasters to overcome it's not funny.

Comprehend Languages is a first level spell after all. That's just 25gp in scroll form. And I'd like to believe that the secrets of an epic level rogue and illusionist couldn't be found out by any first level wizard.

Which is exactly the thing Girard haters conveniently forgot :smallamused:

drengnikrafe
2009-12-16, 09:33 PM
Let's say you somehow memorize something perfectly. You're now only one spell that reads minds away from giving away everything, and, really, how hard can that be to research? Writing it down in a secret code is much safter. Furthermore, they decided to protect the gates. Forgetting where the gates are completely (which seems to be the only other option I can think of) is about as far from that goal as you can get.