PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Feats, Weapons, and Other Intel

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-16, 04:24 PM
Hey. Thanks to the earlier forum, I'm running, for the sake of shortening the race/class info a:

Hellbred Dragonborn Incarnate Maug Barbarian 1/Crusader 4/Frenzied Berserker 3

I need to know what feats I should focus on, as well as weapons. Armor-wise, I'm going with Banded Mail, in honor of my character's Deity: Ares. I also am allowed to have everything as +1 and my weapon as a +2. However, my ever so kind DM is allowing me to weild any double weapon for free, exotic or otherwise.

Plz post any and all Ideas

Myrmex
2009-12-16, 04:26 PM
+1 Greathammer of Impact. Criticals on a 17-20 for x4 damage. Maybe not the awesomest of choices, but it makes really big messes.

Oh, get strongarm bracers and wield that sucker one size category bigger.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-16, 04:30 PM
I had thought the Dwarven Double-Spear (RoS) or the Orcish Double Axe (PH) were also good choices in weaponry

BRC
2009-12-16, 04:32 PM
Double weapons suck. Saying it now. I mean, you could take one just to use the fact that your DM is giving it to you for free. Personally I'd go for something big, nasty, and two-handed.
The only advantage of double weapons over TWFing normally is that your off-hand deals one extra point of damage on average (Comparing double sword to Longsword and Shortsword), in exchange you lose a feat and you can't switch one weapon out for a better one without switching both out. As a Frenzied bezerker, you'll want to make the best use of your strength score and go with a 2 hander.

Thematically, Ares is traditionally shown with a spear, so you could use one of those, but it would be a rather sub-par choice mechanically.
A re fluffed Dwarven Warpike should do the trick though.

sonofzeal
2009-12-16, 04:35 PM
I had thought the Dwarven Double-Spear (RoS) or the Orcish Double Axe (PH) were also good choices in weaponry
Double weapons are generally poor choices. The only reason I can see to ever use one is to be able to switch from two-weapon to two-handed without wasting enchants or having quickdraw.

Given your size, a reach weapon or a high-damage-dice weapon would serve you well. Damage dice differences are trivial at Medium, but scale well after a certain point. Going from 1d8 to 1d10 is meaningless, but going from 3d8 to 4d8 is nice.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-16, 04:37 PM
what is that weapon from PH that deals 2d4 piercing as medium?

Myrmex
2009-12-16, 04:38 PM

Falchion.

And spiked chain.

No falchion is just slashing.

BRC
2009-12-16, 04:39 PM

Spiked Chains and Ranseurs.
Edit:Scythes do slashing or piercing.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-16, 04:43 PM
so would a Ranseaur with a hammer-type weight on the bottom be a good option?

and what sort of shield is seen in 300? Is that a Heavy or Tower shield

Yukitsu
2009-12-16, 04:46 PM
Would suggest large metal shield. Towers in the standard rules are neither metal, nor can you bash with them.

BRC
2009-12-16, 04:48 PM
so would a Ranseaur with a hammer-type weight on the bottom be a good option?

and what sort of shield is seen in 300? Is that a Heavy or Tower shield
If your DM lets you make such a weapon. Considering that both are 2-handed weapons, you probably couldn't use it as a double weapon though (Double weapons are a one-hander on each side)
That would likely be a Heavy shield. I don't know why you're asking though, Neither Two-handed weapons or double weapons work if you're holding a shield.

Yukitsu
2009-12-16, 04:50 PM
In this case, you could use the pike and shield feat to use one end or the other while holding a shield.

Gives reach, shield bash in close, and all three damage types at reach range.

Myrmex
2009-12-16, 04:52 PM
Since you are a maug, can you get the maug shoving arm, or do you lose that upon incarnation?

Because that, combined with a reach weapon, would make for a really nasty alternative to a tripping build. You probably have what, 40 str when raging & in a frenzy? That means you get at least +28 on your bullrush attacks with the arm.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-16, 04:57 PM
In this case, you could use the pike and shield feat to use one end or the other while holding a shield.

Thats what I thought...Using a Ranseur as a halfspear in this case and then weilding a heavy shield in my offhand and carrying a sword as a back-up weapon

ghashxx
2009-12-16, 06:00 PM

I've been really wanting to do this, because in real life it's an amazing combo. Shields are one of the most fantastic things for protection, and spear type things are always great.

Thurbane
2009-12-16, 07:59 PM
Hellbred Dragonborn Incarnate Maug
Uh...I know all these words, but I'm a little confused how they fit together?

sofawall
2009-12-16, 08:38 PM
Uh...I know all these words, but I'm a little confused how they fit together?

I was always pretty sure Hellbred was a race, not a template. Could have misremembered, though.

Thurbane
2009-12-16, 09:00 PM
Yeah...Hellbred is a little poorly defined that way. It's supposed to be the soul of a deceased character returned to life in a new body, to repent his sins and avoid an unpleasant afterlife. But as far as I can tell, the only thing you carry over from your pre-resurrection life is languages known ("oh yeah, I was in a 20th level Bard in my other life, so I know every language there is, hey Mr. DM?").

Dragonborn of Bahamut is the awful "template that isn't", that erases 99% of racial features you had before the metaporphosis.

Incarnate is (from memory) a construct only template that turns you into a living creature (applied to a Maug in this case, I assume).

...so how all of these would combine in one is...interesting, to say the least. :smallbiggrin:

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-16, 09:23 PM
my DM is treating them as 0LA templates, so I chose both. just have the racial stats as follows: +10 str, +2 dex, +4 con, a Breath Weapon, ect...

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-17, 01:55 PM
So, I need feat help. I have a +1 Dwarven Warpike, a +1 Longsword, and a quiver of infinite javelines. I already selected Extend Rage, Martial Study, Instantaneous Rage, and Power Throw. Any more suggestions?

I have 7 feats (+1 bonus for hellbred, +1 for outsider, +2 for flaws Murky-Eyed and Weak Willed)

Thurbane
2009-12-17, 05:23 PM
You'll want Quick Draw to make the most of those javelins.