PDA

View Full Version : [PEACH]Blood Bred[3.5][RACE]

AustontheGreat1
2009-12-16, 10:49 PM
Blood Bred are a race of beings whom, over centuries of selective breeding and magical tampering, have become immune to the vampiric curse and bred to be a continuous food source for their vampire masters. They also serve as the daytime servants of the vampires. These beings were created over hundreds of years by the vampires of the dark city, Night Haven, an ancient coven who have become the only recognized and tolerated community of vampires on the planet.

Personality: Blood Bred are often distant and unresponsive. They are naturally submissive and predisposed to taking orders. During a conflict or when a decision needs to be made a Blood bred will often sit back and allow others to take the lead. As a result, most Blood bred are slavishly loyal to whomever they deem allies or masters.

Physical Description: Most Blood Bred cannot be told apart from a human except when examined with any deliberation. Their only distinctive features are blood red irises and paleness akin to their vampire masters.

Alignment: Blood Bred’s servile nature makes them more inclined towards neutrality; they do not see any action as good or bad, only an order or something that simply must be done. They are rarely chaotic because they do not usually possess the free spirited nature that accompanies chaos.

Lands: Blood Bred live in Night Haven in dormitories under the employ of their masters. When the owner of a bloodbred dies (if he dies) blood bred in his employ are often released unless there is an heir or someone to inherit ownership.

Languages: Nocturne is the language of the night and spoken mostly by only nocturnal creatures and intelligent undead; and their servants, of course.

Names: Blood Bred are named by their owners.

Blood Bred Racial Traits

*Con +2, Cha -2: Blood Bred are hardy from hundred of years of being bred for fortitude, but generations of slavery and mental domination have made them weak willed and submissive.
* Medium: As Medium creatures, Blood Bred have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* Blood Bred land speed is 30 feet.
* Dark Vision: Years of serving creatures of darkness have made them acclimatized to areas without light of any kind. Blood Bred can see in total darkness for up to 60 feet.
* Immunity to Energy Drain, Ability Drain, and Ability Damage caused by negative energy or the effects of undead creatures. In addition, Blood Bred are completely immune to the vampirism curse and can under no circumstance (short of divine intervention) can they become afflicted with this disease.
* +4 racial bonus on Knowledge: Religion checks to recognize Undead. Any Blood Bred who merely passes within 5 feet of an undead is entitled to a spot check to notice it as if he were actively looking for it. In addition, a Blood Bred can instantly recognize any vampire it meets as a vampire and gains +2 to checks to recognize a disguised vampire. This bonus stacks with the +4 that Blood Bred gets against all undead.
* +2 to diplomacy checks against intelligent undead. Blood bred have been associating with the undead for centuries.
* -2 to will saves. Nearly constant mental manipulation has caused the Blood Bred to become uniquely susceptible to enchantment and compulsion effects. In addition, a Blood Bred character does not gain a will save against the domination ability of a vampire and is instead instantly dominated when victim to this ability.
* Spell-like Abilities: Detect Undead 1/day, Speak with Animals (Bats, Rats, and Wolves only) 1/day.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Nocturne. Bonus languages: Undercommon. The Blood Bred deal often with beings of the Underdark and therefore commonly learn their language.
*Favored Class: Cleric. A multiclass Blood Bred’s cleric class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty. Blood Bred are racially inclined to giving themselves to a higher power
* Level Adjustment: +0

Mangles
2009-12-17, 12:07 AM
I like it. I wouldn't take it, simply because of the servitude thing, but i do like the flavor and think the abilities fit

Temotei
2009-12-17, 12:11 AM
I vote for an intrusion from Milskidasith. He'll find something I didn't.

First impression: This is going to create a race like the drow, in that there's going to be a huge number of "rebels," like Drizzt, if used. Just saying.

AustontheGreat1
2009-12-17, 04:28 AM
the original concept was for a vampire character of mine. the founder of the city of Night Haven. he wanted a way to associate with the world while still being able to survive, so he bred a race of slaves.

Also, not all blood Bred are slaves. (Although the Majority are) there are few liberated Blood Bred. Blood Bred are freed when their owner dies.

I'll be honest, I'd never play this race either; except maybe for the immunities which are pretty sweet.

Apalala
2009-12-17, 04:36 AM
I tend to shy away from resistances and immunities. Those sorts of abilities are only as good as the dm makes them.

For the bloodbred, I think something that represents their being bred for constant blood loss would be good. Maybe something like Fast Healing 1, but it's only effective when they have less than half their total hitpoints?

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-17, 04:42 AM
I don't see how they would get +2 to diplomacy checks against intelligent undead. From what you've said, it doesn't look like they have any ability to negotiate with vampires at all.

Ashtagon
2009-12-17, 04:44 AM
Considering clerics in general are anathema to undead, I would have thought that would be the last class that would be favoured for a race intended to be servants of the undead.

Will save penalty: Is that to all will saves, or just enchantment/compulsion effects?

Immunity to Energy Drain, Ability Drain, and Ability Damage: I'd change this to limit it to only drain/damage caused by negative energy effects or undead, and instead of being immunity, it allows the character to immediately roll (or re-roll, if it normally allows a save) a DC 15 Will save to negate.

Also, I'd add a -2 penalty to Intimidate checks against undead. They're used to serving them, not scaring them.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-17, 05:01 AM
I think the cleric fits just fine, considering, any Blood Bred who is capable of obtaining PC levels would most likely be inclined to choose the best path to combat their oppressors.

-2 to all will saves. Enchantment and Compulsion are just there for fluff.

They should probably just have immunity to undead/negative energy like you suggested, but I think it should remain immunity. Otherwise, this race really has nothing going for it.

And it doesn't really need another penalty. Of course it would be bad at intimidating a Vampire, but it would be just as bad with all of its other social skills IMO.

AustontheGreat1
2009-12-17, 11:51 AM
thanks for all the feedback.

changed the immunities to be specifically for negative energy and the effects of undead. im comfortable with everything else.

DMBlackhart
2009-12-17, 02:04 PM
I know its not my place to say, but I believe if you were going for more of a "weakwilled" flavor, then replacing the -2 to charisma with Will would be better. Although either fit the fluff well enough.

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-17, 02:24 PM
I like this, especially the part of them being freed when their owner dies. It give me an ecuse to play one who is not under servirude and not a rebel, but one born outside of domination.

Great job. Maybe make the -2 penalty to will saves apply only to enchantment and complusion effects, and give them something to represent the resistance to blood loss. I'd play a vampire hunter blood bred any day (ranger or ranger/rogue. If allowed I would make a prestige class that let you sneak attack against undead, or play the "undead stalker from the DMG").

Lappy9000
2009-12-17, 05:40 PM
Nicely done! Kudos for actually making some real justification for the -2 Charisma penalty (as opposed from the usual ugly/mean/grouchy/nothing-else-to-dump reasons).

AustontheGreat1
2009-12-17, 09:44 PM
I like this, especially the part of them being freed when their owner dies. It give me an ecuse to play one who is not under servirude and not a rebel, but one born outside of domination.

Great job. Maybe make the -2 penalty to will saves apply only to enchantment and complusion effects, and give them something to represent the resistance to blood loss. I'd play a vampire hunter blood bred any day (ranger or ranger/rogue. If allowed I would make a prestige class that let you sneak attack against undead, or play the "undead stalker from the DMG").

They are resistant to blood loss. they are immune to ability damage. Blood draining usually takes the form of a hit to constitution, if I'm right.

If I'm wrong I'll fix it. Any suggestions on how to do it?

Heh, I'm glad I did something right.