PDA

View Full Version : Arena Exhibition: Dormin Falath vs Ms. Isle

Koury
2009-12-16, 11:02 PM
Arena Exhibition: Dormin Falath vs. Ms. Isle

Map:
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab330/ArenaManager/Arenas/08-kyaces_glass_arena.png

XP Award: 0 XP
GP Award: 0 GP

Ms. Isle (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=31756) - Koury
Dormin Falath (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=158808) - Eurus

All Combatants, please roll initiative and declare final purchases, if any

Koury
2009-12-16, 11:08 PM
Oh yeah.

[roll0]

Eurus
2009-12-16, 11:18 PM
Glass arena works for me - I shall purchase a single smokestick for 20 gp. :smallbiggrin:

[roll0]

Koury
2009-12-16, 11:28 PM
Sorry, I was reading a wikipedia article on Erdos numbers. (Damn you xkcd forums!)

I'm always surprised when my -4 wins.

Ms Isle - Round 1

Move to V8 from Y13
Cast Spell at glass panel to my west.
Spellcraft DC 15Acid Splash
[roll0]

Eurus
2009-12-16, 11:35 PM
Assuming your turn is over after you break the panel?

Dormin Falath, Round 1

Starts in B-14, with a smokestick in one hand and a tindertwig in the other.

Standard action: Light the smokestick. Smoke fills a 10-foot cube from B-14 to C-15.

Non-action: Hide.
[roll0]

Move action: Twiddle thumbs.

Koury
2009-12-16, 11:48 PM
Yeah. We're doing this IC knowledge based then? OK, I wasn't sure.

Ms. Isle - Round 2

Move to P7
Ready Action
LoE = MM

EDIT: Done.

Eurus
2009-12-16, 11:58 PM
Yeah, I figure that's easiest.

Dormin, Round 2

Standard action: Manifest Chameleon, gaining a +10 bonus on Hide checks for 10 minutes.

Move action: Move to G-13, hiding. My Fellmist Robe gives me the concealment that I need to remain hidden indefinitely unless you manage to spot me. And, with the bonus from Chameleon, you couldn't possibly do so, even with me taking the -5 penalty for moving more than half of my speed. So you can't target me with your precious Magic Missiles. :smallbiggrin:

End turn.

Koury
2009-12-17, 12:07 AM
I'm pretty sure I still see the blob of whatever moving around. If I can target that and if a spell like MM auto-hits, however, I am unsure of.

I think I can target your square when I get LoS w/ it though. Similar to the whole Fighter-hiding-behind-tower-shield thing.

As for my turn, well depends on what my options are here. I can see you from the time you enter the cube (LoS is established when only one panel separates us)

Eurus
2009-12-17, 12:12 AM
Knowing what square someone's in doesn't allow you to target them with spells, though. At least, that's how it normally works for invisible/otherwise unseeable targets; you can attack their square with physical attacks, but at a 50% miss chance. But I don't think single-target spells work when you can't see the target.

But I'm no expert, and since this sort of thing is the cornerstone of my strategy, I'd be happy to wait for a ref to provide a ruling if you like. I'm sure it'll come up eventually in an actual match, so at least this would set precedent. :smallbiggrin:

Koury
2009-12-17, 12:18 AM
I believe it to be what you said. I have LoS but no LoE. A weird combo.

So be it.

Move to N 8

Ready Action
Blob enters 15 ft of me w/o glass panel in the way = Burning Hands

You're up good sir.

Eurus
2009-12-17, 12:24 AM
Dormin Falath, Round 3

Move action: Draw a loaded crossbow.
Standard action: Shoot at the panel between M-13 and N-13. Might take me a few shots...

[roll0]
[roll1]

End turn.

EDIT: The panel takes two damage, and is at 1 HP remaining.

Koury
2009-12-17, 12:32 AM
Attacking ranged at +10 ft forces a new hide check, at -10.

You +12 vs my -5 means you only need to roll if I get a 18, 19 or 20 base.

[roll0]

If it fails:

Move to N13

Ready Action:If glass breaks move

End

Eurus
2009-12-17, 12:37 AM
Yeah, sorry, I forgot to roll a hide check. I'll remember that in the future.

Round 4

Standard action: Quaff potion of Expeditious Retreat.
Move action: Scamper to G-7. You have no chance of seeing me this round.

End turn.

Koury
2009-12-17, 02:15 AM
Sorry, I got an email I needed to reply to. Yeah, took me like an hour.

OK, lets see here.

Cast spell at glass panel south of me.
Spellcraft DC 15Acid Splash
[roll0]
If I hit, it goes down. I honestly don't know the walls AC though. Near as I can tell, its an auto hit though. 10 - 5 (dex) - 2 (?; Huge) = 3 = only miss on a one.

Either way, assuming its down, move to O14. I think this gives me LoS on your blob, kinda. Enough to know if you go S or E at least.

End

Eurus
2009-12-17, 02:44 AM
I'll shoot at the M-13/N-13 panel again. Not moving.

[roll0]
[roll1]

And that's it for my turn.

EDIT: Yeah, the panel breaks. So that's the M-13/N-13 panel, the O-13/O-14 panel, and the U-8/V-8 panel broken so far. Yay property destruction!

Koury
2009-12-17, 03:54 AM
I'm pretty sure I have LoE to your square now.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/LoE2.jpg

Cast Spell at your square.

Spellcraft DC 16Hail of Stone

[roll0]

No saving throw. SR if you got it, but I don't think you do.

5 ft step east

End turn

Eurus
2009-12-17, 02:42 PM
Ouch. Yeah, that got me. I'm still up, though.

Move to K-11, ready an action.

If Ms. Isle attempts to cast a spell while having LoE to me, attempt to disrupt with an Arrow of Dusk.

End turn.

Koury
2009-12-17, 04:48 PM
Hmm, readied action...

OK, here goes nothing.

Step into LoE (triggering your action?), cast spell at your square (triggering your action?).

Depending on what you did, here are my rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1] vs DC (10+damage dealt+1)

OK, if I somehow didn't trigger your action, this should be match.
If I did and you moved, you're up and my spell is wasted.
If I did and you attacked then it all depends on my concentration check.
EDIT: I hope if you attacked it isn't more then 6 damage.

*crosses fingers*

Eurus
2009-12-17, 06:57 PM
Heh, well, the action was to disrupt your casting with Arrow of Dusk, so let's see...

[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2009-12-17, 07:08 PM
Arrow of Dusk?

Does nonleathal damage work the same as lethal for concentration checks?

If so, you got me exactly, twice. 16 AC and you needed a 7 to disrupt.

Eurus
2009-12-17, 07:19 PM
Your touch AC is 16? I was lucky, then. :smalleek:

Arrow of Dusk is a Shadowcaster mystery. As far as I know, nonlethal damage is treated more or less the same as lethal for most things, but it's never come up before, so I don't know.

Also, I believe that's enough to leave you staggered, since your nonlethal damage now exactly equals your current HP.

Koury
2009-12-17, 07:40 PM
I spaced, my touch AC is 13, total AC 16.

As for staggered, nope. Rageclaws keeps me good until -10.

Eurus
2009-12-17, 07:43 PM
I spaced, my touch AC is 13, total AC 16.

As for staggered, nope. Rageclaws keeps me good until -10.

Rageclaws only helps with disabled/unconscious from lethal damage, not staggered/unconscious from nonlethal. :smallwink:

When reduced to 0 hit points, you can act as if you weren’t disabled (that is, you ignore the normal restriction to only a single move or standard action per turn). You do not lose 1 hit point for performing a standard or otherwise strenuous action while at 0 hit points. When reduced to –1 to –9 hit points, you do not fall unconscious. You do not automatically lose 1 hit point each round when at –1 to –9 hit points.

No reference to nonlethal damage.

Koury
2009-12-17, 07:54 PM
Ruling that Rageclaws doesn't affect nonlethal means that I'm unconscious in one more point of damage, nonlethal or otherwise. Rageclaws also has no specific exception given to nonlethal damage. Nothing is said either way. Can you find something saying it bypasses this ability (or Diehard or that barb rage ability that essentially grants Diehard)?

You're up anyway right now, but I don't think it works like that. If a sword to my gut won't drop me, why would a punch to the face?

Eurus
2009-12-17, 09:16 PM
Ruling that Rageclaws doesn't affect nonlethal means that I'm unconscious in one more point of damage, nonlethal or otherwise. Rageclaws also has no specific exception given to nonlethal damage. Nothing is said either way. Can you find something saying it bypasses this ability (or Diehard or that barb rage ability that essentially grants Diehard)?

You're up anyway right now, but I don't think it works like that. If a sword to my gut won't drop me, why would a punch to the face?

That is a very good question, and one that I would ask a ref myself had you not already done so. :smallsmile: For now, let's assume best-case scenario; that you don't pass out until your nonlethal damage is equal to your hit points +10.

Where are you standing? You just said you moved into my LoS, but I don't see a specified square.

Koury
2009-12-17, 09:25 PM
I 5 ft stepped to the west in my head, so we'll go with that. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Also, and I don't really want a rewind even if I should have, but was I supposed to get a +4 AC bonus for having the wall/corner partially covering me? Your ranged touch would have missed if I did.

Eurus
2009-12-17, 09:32 PM
Then I shall fire another Arrow of Dusk, then use my magically-boosted speed to rush over to E-11.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

EDIT: Ah. That's right, I would have missed by one point. Which means you'd have finished me. >_>

Koury
2009-12-17, 09:40 PM
Damn you move fast.

Move to J13
Ready ActionLoE=End the match

Done.

And may as well keep going, see what other issues we can pull out of this match so they aren't problems in official matches. :smallwink:

Eurus
2009-12-17, 09:58 PM
Annoying, isn't it, how readied actions turn any match into a standoff? I'll move to Q-1. I technically have total concealment from you this round, so no hide check.

Koury
2009-12-17, 10:08 PM
Move to K7 and blow another lvl 0 spell on the glass wall to my north.

I still don't see you cuz you can move too damn far.

For the record, I have used two lvl 1 spells and this makes three lvl 0's I think. I got 5/4 to start so I am at 2/2.

Eurus
2009-12-17, 10:13 PM
Isn't Expeditious Retreat great? :smallbiggrin:

Using my Silence SLA as a standard action, then moving to V-10. Your turn.

Koury
2009-12-17, 10:32 PM
Using silence on your square? Regardless, I see you as you move out of Q1 into R1 (or at the very least, I see your blob). Thus I know you're over there somewhere. I lose LoS again but regain it a few steps into my move. No LoE of course.

Move to P9, Ready ActionLoE=End Match

End.

Eurus
2009-12-17, 10:39 PM
Yeah, it's a 20-foot radius emanation centered on me. So if I can actually get within 20 feet of you, I'm good...

Move to N-5, and pull out a grappling hook. Here's hoping this doesn't end with me plummeting to my death.

Koury
2009-12-17, 10:41 PM
Game over.

As you pass in front of where the V8/U8 panel used to be I get LoE, triggering my action. Rocks fall, you die.

Eurus
2009-12-17, 10:42 PM
Aargh. I forgot that one was broken. >_> Good game.

Koury
2009-12-17, 10:45 PM
:smallbiggrin: I'm just glad I got to use that term so literally. Good match. Your Arrows of Dusk will serve you well countering all the Rageclaws builds there are around here.

Koury
2009-12-17, 10:49 PM
Here's hoping this doesn't end with me plummeting to my death.

Also, while I'm invoking tropes, be careful what you wish for. :smallwink:

Eurus
2009-12-17, 10:50 PM
:smallbiggrin: I'm just glad I got to use that term so literally. Good match. Your Arrows of Dusk will serve you well countering all the Rageclaws builds there are around here.

Heh, yeah. And I managed to counter Ms. Isle's namesake spell pretty well, which should help against all the Kelgore's Fire Bolt builds.

Koury
2009-12-17, 10:54 PM
Countering MM actually hurt you in this case as Hail of Stone is a better option for me. I just use it because I can, honestly. But you forced me to browse my (small) spell list for an area spell. This one happens to also have no save, which is nice.

But those bolts will be nice to not have to deal with. Tanaric melted me with one a few matches ago.