PDA

View Full Version : Schmendrick vs. the Wicked Witch of the West

secretbison
2009-12-17, 12:31 AM
I got into an argument about this recently. Here's the setup.

As a result of some kind of magical mishap, Schmendrick the Magician (from before the events of The Last Unicorn, so before he got his act together) is transported into the middle of the Emerald City. After enough kvetching, he gains a brief audience with the Wizard, who promises to make him a true magician, and take him home to boot, if he kills the Wicked Witch of the West.

Schmendrick didn't crush anyone on arrival, and Dorothy's safe in Kansas, so Schmendrick has got no magic women's shoes to protect him, the Wicked Witch of the East is still terrorizing Munchkin Land, and Glinda hasn't really taken notice of him. This is Baum's Oz, not Gregory Maguire's, so water really will do the witch in. Schmendrick is still practically immortal like he was in the book, but that's not exactly uncommon in Oz, and he's disqualified if he gets turned into a statue, vivisected, or any of the other fates worse than death that can befall you in Oz.

Thoughts?

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-12-17, 12:48 AM
I'd say that even with his relative immortality, Schmendrick would at least have a hard time. His magic's inconsistent at best.

Starscream
2009-12-17, 12:58 AM
Schmendrick is a goofball, but not an idiot. He won't simply wander into the witch's castle unprepared. I think he'll figure out the water thing quickly enough.

Zaydos
2009-12-17, 01:00 AM
Or knowing Schmendrick he'll try something overly grandiose and then end up spraying her with water by mistake.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-12-17, 01:03 AM
Schmendrick is a goofball, but not an idiot. He won't simply wander into the witch's castle unprepared. I think he'll figure out the water thing quickly enough.

I never said he was an idiot. I said he'd have a hard time. While he IS a second-rate pickpocket, he tends to try and use magic to solve problems, which usually gets him into more trouble. It's not because he's stupid though, it's because his magic does what it wants when it wants, and not at Schmendrick's command.

secretbison
2009-12-17, 04:52 AM
Hard Mode: would Molly Grue fare any better? She's not magic, but she's much smarter than Dorothy and possesses lethal levels of metafictional awareness.