View Full Version : Desert Creatures

DrOctagonapus12
2009-12-17, 01:19 AM
Anybody know of any good ones?

BRC
2009-12-17, 01:21 AM
Anybody know of any good ones?

check the book Sandstorm.

Otherwise, Scorpions and their folk are good. Purple worms as Sandworms work too.

sonofzeal
2009-12-17, 01:21 AM
Have you... uh, tried Sandstorm?

You can also filter by environmentover here (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20monsterfilter/).

DragonBaneDM
2009-12-17, 01:50 AM
If you're playing 4e, use kruthiks. They're freaking awesome.

If you're playing 3.5, homebrew stats for kruthiks. They're THAT freaking awesome.

Mongoose87
2009-12-17, 01:56 AM
I find a pudding to be most appropriate.

FoE
2009-12-17, 02:22 AM
Thri-kreens. Elementals. Ghosts. Bulettes. Demons. Djinni and efreets. Sphinxes (duh). And most humanoid creatures are appropriate as raiders.

jokey665
2009-12-17, 02:58 AM
Scorpion/Scarab swarms are always fun, I've found.

Grimlock
2009-12-17, 03:44 AM
I find a pudding to be most appropriate.

I laughed out loud at this, spraying coffee all over my lap!

And I have to teach in 5 mins!

Amiel
2009-12-17, 05:41 AM
To add: jann, blue dragons, brass dragons, camels, donkeys, zombies, mummies, wights, wraiths, lammasu, lamia, dragonne, gargoyles; stir liberally and serve to taste.

Grumman
2009-12-17, 06:20 AM
I laughed out loud at this, spraying coffee all over my lap!

And I have to teach in 5 mins!
"Today's lesson: Why you shouldn't drink at the computer."

Serpentine
2009-12-17, 06:27 AM
There's a Dragon Magazine with an "Arabian Nights" theme. Worth tracking it down, if you can. Includes a relief golem and a great big thing with lots of eyes, legs and arms.

edit: #334, "Dreams of Arabia". Big thing's an Asag. Also has a clockwork eunuch, flying monkeys, undead made of dozens of corpses, and the Simurgh (King of Birds).

Amiel
2009-12-17, 06:32 AM
Relief golem? Please tell me it's not as bad as its name sounds! :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2009-12-17, 06:37 AM
Relief as in wall carvings. It's flat and hides in walls. CR 9. I've fought against 'em before, and I'm about to use them in my game (but don't tell my players that). It's like if you were wandering around the Great Pyramid, and a life-size painting of Set peeled off and attacked you. I think they're snazzy :smallsmile:

hewhosaysfish
2009-12-17, 09:39 AM
If you're playing 3.5, homebrew stats for kruthiks. They're THAT freaking awesome.

Are there not 3.5 stats for them in BoVD?

BooNL
2009-12-17, 09:41 AM
Relief as in wall carvings. It's flat and hides in walls. CR 9. I've fought against 'em before, and I'm about to use them in my game (but don't tell my players that). It's like if you were wandering around the Great Pyramid, and a life-size painting of Set peeled off and attacked you. I think they're snazzy :smallsmile:

Whew, I was thinking of another kind of 'relief'.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-12-17, 10:22 AM
Blue Dragonwrought Desert Kobolds?

Claudius Maximus
2009-12-17, 10:30 AM
Are there not 3.5 stats for them in BoVD?

You're thinking of Kythons. Kruthiks can be found in Miniatures Handbook.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-17, 10:40 AM
I would say go to anything semi-related to Egypt, but thats superflous to say the least.

I was in development of a monster called the Salt Lich, which is a Lich/Mummy Hybrid, like the Arcane Mummy type. They can drain water from living targets. It has the Paralysis Stare effect and a dehydrating touch attack. It still has skin, but no muscle or fat. Just wrapped leather streached over a skeleton.

I also thought of a worthwhile Desert "boss": a Mummified Blue Dragon that acts as a guardian to the Salt Lich pharoah.

Giggling Ghast
2009-12-17, 03:17 PM
edit: #334, "Dreams of Arabia". Big thing's an Asag. Also has a clockwork eunuch, flying monkeys, undead made of dozens of corpses, and the Simurgh (King of Birds).

A clockwork eunuch? What is this i don't even

Milskidasith
2009-12-17, 03:19 PM
I don't know, Candle Jack, I don'

Giggling Ghast
2009-12-17, 05:20 PM
I don't know, Candle Jack, I don'

Heh. I need to participate in these Internet forums more often. :smallamused:

FMArthur
2009-12-17, 05:57 PM
The 'Desert Races' section of Unearthed Arcana contains desert dwarves, desert elves, desert gnomes, desert goblins, desert half-orcs, desert halflings, desert kobolds, and desert orcs. You could build any number of encounters out of PC races. :smalltongue:

Deth Muncher
2009-12-17, 06:00 PM
And because it hasn't been mentioned enough, Sandstorm. Seriously, if you're doing a desert campaign, that's where you go.

jiriku
2009-12-17, 06:06 PM
A sand kraken. Because, really, who sees that coming?

Coidzor
2009-12-17, 07:11 PM
... <_< Animated Obelisks, golems, animated sphinx sculpture... Maybe an animated object pyramid....

An evil wizard type with a pet basilisk who animates the free sculpture into a sort of moving garden/maze thing made out of and populated by permanent animated statuary?

vicente408
2009-12-17, 07:17 PM
Don't forget the Sand Whale. :smallamused:

Cookie for reference.

Gamerlord
2009-12-17, 07:23 PM
Skeletons can hide under the sand, then burst out and hack your PCs limbs off!

Yeah, I really love undead. Undead can be in any area, even the ocean.

Coidzor
2009-12-17, 07:32 PM
An enclave/hidden kingdom of undead where pretty much the only living people are there as a combination blood pool/breeding stock for more manual labor skeletons and zomblebees can also be fun. And it's got that whole mummy pharoh/lord vibe that can be easily tapped into with a necropolis built out in the desert that's mostly buried except when they feel like coming out and stretching their legs by raiding caravans for fresh slaves or news of the outside world or what have you. Or just a necropolis that's been carved out of the arid mountains

And don't forget the whole idea of oases either. And there's usually a mountain range causing a rain shadow for most deserts so there's going to be some elements of that which might be encountered if one gets too close to those, or maybe a red dragon is living in them but mostly stays on the good side of the rain shadow unless he hears about some kind of ruckus.

Serpentine
2009-12-18, 12:29 AM
A clockwork eunuch? What is this i don't evenI explained this in a PM, but for anyone else who's interested, it's a golem constructed to guard harems and similar - filling the role of one type of historical eunuch.

AslanCross
2009-12-18, 12:33 AM
Sandstorm has a bunch of them. Off the top of my head, the Marrusaults are awesome (Think The Mummy's Army of Anubis). There's also the Crawling Apocalypse, which is actually a kraken-shaped construct swimming through the sand.

If you're looking for more humanoid ones, there's the Harrsaf (MM3), and the Zezir (kind of like a fire-elemental deinonychus, also from MM3).

Giggling Ghast
2009-12-18, 12:36 AM
I explained this in a PM, but for anyone else who's interested, it's a golem constructed to guard harems and similar - filling the role of one type of historical eunuch.

They couldn't just have called it a clockwork sentinel? Had to call it a eunuch, eh? That brings a new definition to the term 'fixed.' :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2009-12-18, 12:39 AM
Well, they're not likely to get it on with the concubines, are they?

Unless...

Giggling Ghast
2009-12-18, 12:40 AM
Unless...

Let's not go there. (Though no doubt someone already has (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleThirtyFour).)

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-18, 12:55 AM
I suggest the Dry Lich. a truly awesome undead. and should you reach epic tier, might I suggest a Dry Demilich? A dessication ray followed by soul theft? Sweet nips!

Coidzor
2009-12-18, 01:17 AM
Well, they're not likely to get it on with the concubines, are they?

Unless...
Well, they do make modifications for Warforged, y'know...

Asbestos
2009-12-18, 01:28 AM
If you're playing 4e, use kruthiks. They're freaking awesome.

Clearly you DM and don't play. Cause man, things that burrow, don't leave tunnels, and auto-damage the PCs next to them? Pure sadism.

"The ground shifts and suddenly you're surrounded by unusually spikey bug-reptiles, roll initiative!"

"Okay, rogue goes first.... take 20 damage"

Rasman
2009-12-18, 01:37 AM
Dry Lich = Just Plain Cool, imo, but I second the suggestion of looking at Sandstorm. I mean, what other book are you going to find Werecrocodile?

Iamyourking
2009-12-18, 01:55 AM
The Monster Manual maybe.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-18, 01:58 AM
Dry Lich = Just Plain Cool, imo

Thanks Rasman! I owe you a cookie. A massive 30lb chocolate fudge chocolate chip cookie for you and you alone...

I also think making it an "end of prc feature" of Walker of the Wastes is a clever ploy. If only a variant Dread Necromancer could do that...

Rasman
2009-12-18, 02:08 AM
Thanks Rasman! I owe you a cookie. A massive 30lb chocolate fudge chocolate chip cookie for you and you alone...

I also think making it an "end of prc feature" of Walker of the Wastes is a clever ploy. If only a variant Dread Necromancer could do that...

I'm a SO totally holding you to that...I will now begin my quest of randomly asking people if they're AirGuitarGod32 on the Giantitp Forums. Although I doubt I could eat it...but I will try...I..WILL try...

You also can't forget Sand Golems, I mean, what's worse than a golem?

One that you hit and it's like you're trying to make a Sand Castle out of something that wants to step on you.

Darius Rae
2009-12-18, 02:11 AM
I have been working on a Dark Sun like campaign and so have been thinking a lot about desert baddies. I think the Fey Oasis from Sandstorm is very interesting. You could also use the giant spiders...
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll118/mofo_X360/Posters/CamelSpiderPoster.jpghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solifugae :smallamused:

hamishspence
2009-12-18, 07:08 AM
Lost Empires of Faerun has the stats for several giant spiderkind- including giant camel spiders.

It also has 3.5 stats for werecrocodiles, among other things.

Calmar
2009-12-18, 07:32 AM
There are some in the old Far Corners of the World (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20020817a).

Fitz10019
2009-12-18, 10:58 AM
I explained this in a PM, but for anyone else who's interested, it's a golem constructed to guard harems and similar - filling the role of one type of historical eunuch.

And here I thought the ballbearing had been removed.

I suggest a trapdoor spider, or dozens of same.