PDA

View Full Version : Low power gestalt in WLD

golem1972
2009-12-17, 02:29 AM
I'm going to be joining a group that's already started the world's largest dungeon. They are third level already. They seem to be fairly low on the optimization scale with a new DM. So, I'm trying to build a character that won't be to powerful.

Current group is: Fighter // Cleric, Cleric // Wizard, Lurk // Soulblade, Rogue // Ranger, and Fighter // Warmage. I'm guessing we're looking at tanking, sneaking x2, casting, and blasting. I was orginally thinking of playing something like a Binder // Hellfire Warlock, but that might be a little to CO.

Other ideas I tossed around:
Kobold Dragonfire Adept // +20 LA (Half-Dragon x5, etc...)
Factotum // x5 / Chameleon
Astral Deva // Martial Adept
Factotum / Chameleon // Feral Changeling + Dark + etc (kind of a Gollum character)
Favored Soul // Lucky skill monkey
Daring Outlaw // Martial Adept

All of them seem a little to powerful though. Any thoughts?
Books are all WotC books, possible line item veto. Stats will be rolled 17, 12, 18, 10, 10, 15.

Kylarra
2009-12-17, 02:46 AM
Beguiler Beguiler//Warblade

>_>:smallbiggrin:

BooNL
2009-12-17, 03:52 AM
How do you become 5 different half-dragons? :smallconfused:

That said, most of the party is close-combat focused, without any ToB. I wouldn't go martial adapt as you'll blow these guys out of the water.
It sounds like the group could use a support character.
Dragon Shaman, DFA, Marshal, Bard, all of these are pretty good for that.

Kaiyanwang
2009-12-17, 04:19 AM
How do you become 5 different half-dragons? :smallconfused:

That said, most of the party is close-combat focused, without any ToB. I wouldn't go martial adapt as you'll blow these guys out of the water.
It sounds like the group could use a support character.
Dragon Shaman, DFA, Marshal, Bard, all of these are pretty good for that.

Agree

Could I suggest a Bard//Hexblade? A player of mine plays one focused in buff and debuff, and definitively rocks.

Our campaign is low-power level, too, and he took feats for additional effects for his curse and bardic music (fear, increase arcane spellcasting and so on).

Is very cool, he plays it as a glam metal guitarist (glam because is spellscale :smalltongue:)

gorfnab
2009-12-17, 04:58 AM
With WLD getting enough rest for casters can prove difficult and it seems that there are a fair number of casters in the party. I would suggest making something that does not require a lot of rest so that you can be on watch to protect the casters when they need to recharge.

Binder//Hellfire Warlock - would actually be a great idea for WLD since you're abilities really don't require rest.

Astral Deva // VOP Unarmed Swordsage - I've really been wanting to try one of these out, you would get some decent minor healing spells and decent stat increases

Factotum // Warblade - a real jack of all trades, lots of int synergy

Binder // Crusader - an odd tank, but versatile

Crusader // Warlock with Eldritch Glaive - tank with cha synergy and abilities that don't require rest

Dragon Shaman // Crusader - tank and support

Unarmed Swordsage // OA Samurai - Samurai Jack style character, you could go VOP as most DMs would probably allow the ancestral daisho to not count against VOP as long as you don't start enhancing it (although if you're lucky maybe your DM will let you enhance it)

Sleepingbear
2009-12-17, 03:25 PM
Anything+Artificer.

There are a lot, and I mean a whole dang lot of resetting magical traps in the WLD.

Use them as a source of crafting XP and profit.

Edit: Oops, you said low powered...

qcbtnsrm
2009-12-17, 07:44 PM
Vow of Poverty becomes quite good in WLD, as the treasure sucks. We did it with Gestalt where the party was Wizard//Sorcerer, Cleric//Paladin, Rogue/Bard/Shadow Dancer/Master of Masks/Several others I'm not remembering, Rogue//Monk, and I was a Monk//Favored Soul. We wrapped it up at after level 16.

At that point I think we had a +2 dragon bane dagger as our single best magic item. Our Paladin still hadn't found any heavy armor. He was still wearing a masterwork breastplate. And no one had any stat boosters. Now no doubt we missed some treasure. But magic was very rare, and regular treasure was useless, as there are only a couple of groups that are likely to friendly to you and they don't have magic marts.

So while VoP normally sucks, it absolutely rocked down there, as I at least was getting my pseudo treasure.

Lycanthromancer
2009-12-17, 07:58 PM
Focus on detrapifying the dungeon and equipping the group.

Go factotum//artificer.

Sleepingbear
2009-12-17, 08:01 PM
Vow of Poverty becomes quite good in WLD, as the treasure sucks. We did it with Gestalt where the party was Wizard//Sorcerer, Cleric//Paladin, Rogue/Bard/Shadow Dancer/Master of Masks/Several others I'm not remembering, Rogue//Monk, and I was a Monk//Favored Soul. We wrapped it up at after level 16.

At that point I think we had a +2 dragon bane dagger as our single best magic item. Our Paladin still hadn't found any heavy armor. He was still wearing a masterwork breastplate. And no one had any stat boosters. Now no doubt we missed some treasure. But magic was very rare, and regular treasure was useless, as there are only a couple of groups that are likely to friendly to you and they don't have magic marts.

So while VoP normally sucks, it absolutely rocked down there, as I at least was getting my pseudo treasure.

While the available treasure in the WLD does suck quite a lot, I can't imagine getting to 16th level and still not having heavy magic armor. We were tossing away masterwork items after about level ten or so. Then again, we were also able to forge our own stuff and eventually started magically crafting our own stuff as well.

We had a monk that took Vow of Poverty and he did quite well because of it (because the treasure really does suck). And I brought in an Artificer cohort which really helped (did I mention that the treasure sucks?).

Wizards get the short end of the stick as there aren't many scrolls or spell books for them to scribe off of.