PDA

View Full Version : [MTG Thread] Mental Magic... Heard of it?

Zovc
2009-12-17, 10:53 AM
I played Mental Magic, a Magic: the Gathering variant with a friend last night. I was wondering if anyone else had played this variant or seen it played before, if so, what are your experiences with it, and what rules did you use?

Every time I've played, the rules have been:

Cards are what they actually are only when in a player's hand.
You play cards in your hand as if they were another card with the exact same mana cost (it can't be the same card). Once played, the card is considered to be an exact copy of the named card for the rest of the game. Players are held only by an honor system, and should explain as best as they can the function of the named card.
A card of one type can be played as a card of another type. (Example: Ravenous Rats can be played as a Terror, or the opposite.)
Players can't play a spell that has already been played this game. Again, this is usually regulated by an honor system.
You may play any card from your hand face down as "Resource," a land that is considered to be a "Basic Land - Forest, Island, Mountain, Plains, Swamp." (Each of those types implies that it can produce its respective color--see Shadowmoor's uncommon lands. [Sapseep Forest, Moonring Island, Madblind Mountain, Mistveil Plains, Leechridden Swamp]) Naturally, you still can only play one land a turn.

I'm actually planning on doing some 'research and development' on an ideal cost distribution for a deck of cards for mental magic, and maybe even make a guide dealing with it. This is why I'm curious as to what other versions of the rules there may be.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-12-17, 04:10 PM
We do actually have a Magic thread over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125812), so you should try checking that out.

Zovc
2009-12-17, 05:12 PM
I've seen it (and I think I've also seen the thread before it), but never bothered to check it out. I figured this was a bit to specific to fit in there.

If nothing comes of this thread, I may copypasta the first post into the 'real' MTG thread.