PDA

View Full Version : Some Crazy Ideas and Questions on the Rift, Universe and Everything

guguma
2009-12-17, 11:00 AM
I do not know if these are posted before but anyway if anyone would like to discuss and spend time here they are:

1. Someone mentioned that in the crayon strips (old times) Snarl did attack people and unmade them, but now he does not do that. And there is an entirely new world inside the rift.

So maybe after all these years Snarl lost his temper, tried to be constructive instead of being destructive and he started making stuff instead of unmaking stuff. So he created a world where everyone is happy, there is order, goblins and paladins live hand-in-hand and they shop from the same market and drink in the same tavern, tanarii married with elves etc. all that crack stuff.

So everything going on in the OotS world is pointless, maybe Xykon will succeed and the only thing he can unleash will be bundles of love.

2. Another question arises about the rift and the gates themselves. When Xykon was thrown into a gate his undead shell is destroyed, but he did not see anything through the gate. Through the rift however one can glimpse inside maybe the gates kill but the rift does not. And did Xykon see what Blackwing saw? If I was a Villain I would not miss that detail, and if he did he was not confused at all.

Setra
2009-12-17, 11:06 AM
2. As far as 2 goes, I don't think he saw into the gate as it was the sigils guarding it that destroyed him.

fangthane
2009-12-17, 01:13 PM
Agreed. It seems that nobody sees through a gate while it still exists, and it was the gate's own countermeasure - before Elan self-destructed it - that toasted Xykon. All he saw was the incoming damage from the gate itself, and never saw beyond. It seems unlikely that, given everyone's understanding (misconception?) as to the nature of the Snarl that he'd have risked getting close to the unbound rift in AC.

Of course it still strikes me as a concession of his inferiority that he's apparently unable to reforge his own gate over an opened rift, and use that to execute The Plan, but I suppose he'd justify it some other way. Anything to preserve one's happy illusions. :)

Zxo
2009-12-17, 03:03 PM
In bonus strips for Book 1

Xykon is sending goblins through the gate and communicates with them telepathically. Their thoughts indicate that they die a painful death ("oh gods, it's killing me!") and aren't even able to answer Xykon's questions about the kind of damage they're getting.

These could be Dorukan's defenses, but then, why would Dorukan want to stop anyone from going through the gate? He might have wanted to save clueless adventurers from dying, but then setting the defenses to kill them wouldn't make much sense.

Zeful
2009-12-17, 03:36 PM
These could be Dorukan's defenses, but then, why would Dorukan want to stop anyone from going through the gate? He might have wanted to save clueless adventurers from dying, but then setting the defenses to kill them wouldn't make much sense.

To stop people from meddling with the gate itself.

My theory: Order from chaos. The snarl somehow turned into the planet (which likely has very different laws governing it) inside the rifts.

Lecan
2009-12-17, 03:49 PM
Or maybe very little to none of the lore in the crayon strips is true. We know that Soon didn't pass on the entire story to Shojo, so the version the OotS has is at least partly incorrect. Neither version explains what is actually happening within the Azure City rift. Perhaps both versions come from untrustworthy sources (the gods who are the least innocent in all of this) and we shouldn't take them as gospel.

Forbiddenwar
2009-12-17, 06:00 PM
Agreed. It seems that nobody sees through a gate while it still exists, and it was the gate's own countermeasure - before Elan self-destructed it - that toasted Xykon. All he saw was the incoming damage from the gate itself, and never saw beyond. It seems unlikely that, given everyone's understanding (misconception?) as to the nature of the Snarl that he'd have risked getting close to the unbound rift in AC.

Of course it still strikes me as a concession of his inferiority that he's apparently unable to reforge his own gate over an opened rift, and use that to execute The Plan, but I suppose he'd justify it some other way. Anything to preserve one's happy illusions. :)

SOD
He cannot build a gate by himself. It was discussed in the SOD when they destroyed the first gate. It needs 2 casters and decades of research to do so.

Yes, it is possible that he and Redcloak can rebuild a gate around a small rift. But none of the rifts are small anymore. I don't think any of them can be contained by a gate.

Hatman
2009-12-17, 06:06 PM
my guess is there is no snarl, just time travel. and the snarl was made up to confuse people