PDA

View Full Version : Running mac-only programs on PC

Icewalker
2009-12-17, 12:03 PM
I'm looking to find a program that does exactly that: a virtual system or emulator kind of setup to run mac programs on PC. It doesn't need to manage recent mac software, in fact I'm specifically trying to run something for an older mac (pre OSX). Anyone know of a good (free) program which can do this? I've looked around but haven't had any luck.

Ichneumon
2009-12-17, 12:42 PM
I don't know if that's possible (or if so, if it's legal).

You'd need some kind of simulator or run the OS virtually, however it's illegal instal the mac OS (at least OS X) on a non-apple computer, due to the user agreements.

Maybe there is some other way though.

valadil
2009-12-17, 12:46 PM
How old are we talking?

Basilisk II can run early Mac software. I think it goes up to System 7.5 or 8. I've used it to run Oregon Trail and Prince of Persia. Setup is a bit of a pain, but once it's running it works great. http://basilisk.cebix.net/

OS X can run in vmware. It runs very, very poorly though. It is not officially supported so there are no vmware-tools packages. IMO, it's not worth the trouble. Also, not necessarily legal.

RS14
2009-12-17, 01:17 PM
I suspect that the "no non-apple hardware" clause was added to the EULA when OS X was ported to the x86 architecture. Prior to that, I doubt it was an issue, and so any earlier systems should be in the clear.

Besides, the idea of Apple suing anyone for running obsolete, legally owned software on an emulator for personal use is just laughable. They do not have ninjas devoted to tracking down violations of ancient legal minutiae.

Ichneumon
2009-12-17, 01:21 PM
Besides, the idea of Apple suing anyone for running obsolete, legally owned software on an emulator for personal use is just laughable. They do not have ninjas devoted to tracking down violations of ancient legal minutiae.

That doesn't make it less illegal, does it?:smallamused:

RS14
2009-12-17, 01:38 PM
Well, lets see what they could sue you for, if not that.

This software may be used to reproduce, modify, publish and distribute materials. It is licensed to you only for reproduction,
modification, publication and distribution of non-copyrighted materials, materials in which you own the copyright, or materials you are authorized or
legally permitted to reproduce, modify, publish or distribute. If you are uncertain about your right to copy, modify, publish or distribute any material,
you should contact your legal advisor.

I don't recall authorizing you to quote my previous message. Are you legally permitted to reproduce and publish it? Perhaps, but Fair Use is an affirmative defense, so the courts will need to consider that.

As a creative work, it is certainly copyrighted. If you posted that from a computer running OS X, you may be using that software in a manner not permitted by the license.

Now, that is silly, yes. Personally, I'll just worry about what is reasonable, ethical, and relevant.

Ichneumon
2009-12-17, 01:48 PM
True. Copyright laws are silly in some cases and questionable in others. However if you install OS X on a non-apple computer you are breaking the license agreement.

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx105.pdf

You agree not to install, use
or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so.

Whether that part of the agreement is reasonable is irrelevant. Whether it is ethical to break it after you agree to it, is questionable.

InaVegt
2009-12-17, 01:56 PM
True. Copyright laws are silly in some cases and questionable in others. However if you install OS X on a non-apple computer you are breaking the license agreement.

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx105.pdf

Whether that part of the agreement is reasonable is irrelevant. Whether it is ethical to break it after you agree to it, is questionable.

Whether such a clause is legal is also questionable, and depends on jurisdiction.

RS14
2009-12-17, 02:13 PM
Whether or not it is relevant is not in question. They don't have ninjas to track what you're doing with it, and unless you try to resell it or something equally silly, will not have any evidence upon which to base a lawsuit.

I wonder if there is anything to stop you from labeling your non-Apple computer as an Apple computer with some stencils or a sticker, and thus being in compliance with the EULA? It shouldn't be trademark infringement if you're just keeping it for personal use.