PDA

View Full Version : Help building a skill monkey

Os1ris09
2009-12-17, 12:54 PM
I don't care what classes are used except for ToB class's. I need a skill monkey that can pretty much do everything. If you could please list feats and class levels with gear all the way to LVL 30. Thanks guys and yes I DID CHECK THE FORUMS

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-17, 12:56 PM
How receptive are you to monks?

Eloel
2009-12-17, 12:58 PM
Factotum 7/Wizard 23

You Win.

Draz74
2009-12-17, 12:58 PM
Lots of skillmonkey ideas here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88715).

I don't care what classes are used except for ToB class's. I need a skill monkey that can pretty much do everything.

Well, then, that definitely sounds like a Factotum. Or Factotum/Chameleon. Since you want to go all the way to Level 30, in fact, let's definitely make it Factotum 20/Chameleon 10.

Shame about ToB being banned, though ... a couple levels dipped in Warblade would be a huge improvement to this character's melee abilities (and "do anything" flavor, too, thanks to Weapon Aptitude).

Optimization-wise, you should probably spend most of your feats on Font of Inspiration; but this is really boring IMHO. I prefer to get a variety of feats on my Factotums.

Factotum 7/Wizard 23

You Win.

Um. Factotum's best class feature (especially for boosting Wizard casting) comes at Level 8.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-17, 12:59 PM
Factotum. Do anything, ever. For feats, you want Craven and Font of Inspiration. Lots of Font of Inspiration. Put all stats into Int. Need anything else?

Os1ris09
2009-12-17, 02:02 PM
can you guys please list the books that those class's and feats are in. Please no abbreviations. I just got back in the forums after being away for so long so i need some refreshing. Thanks guys

Ormagoden
2009-12-17, 02:13 PM
Dungeonscape

Factotum class

The Font of inspiration feat is a web enhancement for the factotum located Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606)

Os1ris09
2009-12-17, 02:35 PM
How receptive are you to monks?

I don't really like monks but if it is a good skill monkey class then plz list a build that is effecient. Thank you man

Os1ris09
2009-12-17, 02:43 PM
Dungeonscape

Factotum class

The Font of inspiration feat is a web enhancement for the factotum located Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606)

Ok thank you man I appreciate it:smallsmile:

Draz74
2009-12-17, 02:54 PM
The Craven feat that was mentioned is from Champions of Ruin.

Os1ris09
2009-12-18, 11:38 AM
OK DM ruled out that feat from the website, Font of Inspiration, I dont know why but he did.

So is there any build and recommended skills that I should take. Our party already has a bard/rogue (mostly bard I think he has 2 levels in rogue), cleric, and warlock so spellcasting is pretty much covered. The bard will go into sublime cord and the cleric isn't PrCing. I do not know the warlock's plan. We need a person who can be a "frontline" fighter which is where chameleon comes into play by taking that "path" (one of two) I was wondering which other "path" to take and what skills/feats to take. I already know I am human and am using the Human Bonus feat on Able Learner to qualify for the PrC.

Thanks guys for all the help and the party and myself really appreciate it.

Draz74
2009-12-18, 12:23 PM
Oh right, we forgot to tell you where Chameleon is located. Looks like you found it, though.

OK DM ruled out that feat from the website, Font of Inspiration, I dont know why but he did.
I don't blame him. The class works fine without it, and a serious optimizer can make the Factotum too powerful with it. Besides, it's boring.

So is there any build and recommended skills that I should take.

Well, it really depends what you want your Factotum to do. It sounds like your main goal is to have him be a decent front-line fighter, though. Of course, he won't be as good of a tank as a real "tank" class like Knight; but he can do OK in the front line, plus be pretty good at many other things.

Note that the spellcasting Paths are definitely the stronger ones for the Chameleon ... but hey. You can change what Path you take from day to day; that's the whole point.

Good Factotum Melee feats:

Knowledge Devotion (from Complete Champion): If you boost your six main Knowledge skills a lot, this can get you pretty decent bonuses to all your attack and damage rolls. This leaves you with a lot less skill points for other skills, though.
Combat Expertise/Improved Trip (Core): Tripping is already one of the better things for non-ToB melee to do, and a Factotum with a good Strength score can get really good at it, since he adds his INT modifier to his STR checks. Of course he won't have any trouble meeting the prerequisites either.
Faerie Mysteries Initiate (Dragon Magazine): It's cheesy, from an unpopular source, and has weird fluff requirements, so check with your DM first. But it bases your Hit Points off of Intelligence instead of Constitution. That's obviously great for a Factotum tank.
Quick Draw (Core): For synergy with Iaijutsu Focus (see below).
Improved Critical (Core): On a critical hit, a Factotum can add his INT bonus to damage multiple times for only one Inspiration Point. So it can be pretty cool to wield a weapon with a 15-20 threat range, like a Falchion with Improved Critical, and a Bless Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blessWeapon.htm) effect (via UMD, or the Sacred Scabbard from the Magic Item Compendium, or whatever). Note that if you don't have a Bless Weapon effect, you're better off buying a Keen weapon rather than taking the Improved Critical feat.
The usual good melee feats: Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Improved Toughness (Complete Warrior) ... whatever. These don't have any special synergy with Factotum, but they won't hurt anything. (Power Attack might be a little hard to use effectively with Medium BAB, but it will still probably be decent with a two-handed weapon like a Falchion. Especially if you can find a way to make touch attacks, such as buying a Heartseeking Amulet (see Magic Item Compendium)).
Craven (Champions of Ruin): A great way to add melee damage, but strictly reading the rules, Factotum may not have the Sneak Attack required to take it. Ask your DM, or dip a level in Rogue.

That's feats. However, the "main" Character Optimization way to really increase the Factotum's melee prowess is the Iaijutsu Focus skill, from Oriental Adventures. Since it's a 3.0 book with very particular flavor, and since the IF skill was intended to be limited only to very specific classes, your DM may hit this with the ban stick. But if he doesn't ... by RAW, the Factotum does have IF as a class skill. That means he can max it out to add massive melee damage, anytime his foe is flat-footed and he draws a new weapon. Hence, Quick Draw. (To really maximize use of this tactic, look up the Haberdash the Masked build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633).)

Other important skills to consider are Use Magic Device (makes you more flexible in general) and Tumble (one of the few skills that's automatically useful in melee). And Knowledge (local, dungeoneering, planes, arcana, religion, nature) if you got the Knowledge Devotion feat.

Spend your remaining skill points on whatever skillmonkey skills seem attractive (Hide, Move Silently, Search, Disable Device, Spot, Listen, Bluff, whatever ...).