PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spell Damage Scaling

synchronic
2009-12-17, 02:09 PM
Hi guys, I have a rulsey question for ya'll.

Let's say I'm trying to cast a 2nd level spell, and the description on the damage says: 1d6 damage every two levels. At caster level 5, how much damage am I doing with that spell?

I just assumed that I'd be doing 3d6 damage with it, following the pattern of magic missile or the orb spells. Unfortunately, the resident rules lawyer in our party made kind of a stink about it, saying I should be doing 2d6. I kind of fought with him a bit over it, but I've been poking around after the game to see who is right, and I *did* notice that all the spells I mentioned had the text: "Starting at 1st level" and my spell doesn't (the Shadowcaster's Black Fire).

Now, it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me that this spell would do 0 damage at 1st level, and I figure that "Starting at 1st level" is assumed in the "every two levels" statement.

That's a lot of assumptions though, so I thought I'd get an outside opinion. Any clarity would be appreciated! :smallsmile:

Rixx
2009-12-17, 02:14 PM
Spells will usually note "For every additional X levels beyond level Y, you get another Z" if it's the case that it should scale that way.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-17, 02:15 PM
There's no assumed damage. Yes, this means that some spells deal no or poor damage at some levels.

So, a spell that deals 1d6/2 levels would indeed deal 2d6 at level 5, unless it specifies some minimum. Also, that seems like a pretty weak damage spell, unless it has some other effect as well.

Grumman
2009-12-17, 02:15 PM
If it says 1d6 for every two caster levels, you only do 2d6.

If it says 1d6, plus 1d6 for every two caster levels over 1, you do 3d6.

Emmerask
2009-12-17, 02:18 PM
Are you sure this is the correct spelltext?
Seems extremly weak and yes 2d6 it is if the text is correct.

Grumman
2009-12-17, 02:22 PM
He never said it was a 3rd level spell. There are level 2 spells like Ice Blast that are like this.

synchronic
2009-12-17, 02:28 PM

Yeah, it's definitely the correct spell text. It's only a 2nd level spell though so it's not terrible. It's looking like I'm wrong, which is extremely disappointing. I hate being wrong. Thanks everyone, I do appreciate it!

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-17, 04:05 PM
Note:Scorching Ray is one of the best damage spells, and is level 2. May be a better option than whatever you're using. The Lesser Orb spells in the SpC are also pretty nice.