PDA

View Full Version : Famous taverns

pendell
2009-12-17, 04:19 PM
So I'm setting up a simulated hotel, and of course I can't let that pass without letting my gaming background show, can I?

Names I can think of, off-hand:
Green Dragon
Prancing Pony
Inn of the Last Home

That's all I can think of at the moment. Anyone remember any others? I'm especially trying to remember any that showed up in .. what's the name of the place in planescape that's in the middle of the wheel of the planes .. Sanctum? Something like?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Eldan
2009-12-17, 04:21 PM
You probably mean Sigil. And it's full of famous taverns.

I'll go make a list of names.

WalkingTarget
2009-12-17, 04:22 PM
The Broken/Mended Drum.

The Painted Sign (although I'm sure that his one isn't an obvious reference to most people). [edit - come to think of it, this one is an inn, dunno if that disqualifies it]

Eldan
2009-12-17, 04:29 PM
Okay. In the cage has:

Lady's Ward:

Fortune's Wheel
The Golden Bariaur Inn
The Twelve Factols

Lower Ward:

The Black Sails
The Green Mill
The Styx Oarsman
The Ubiquitous Wayfarer
The Dirk&Firkin
The Face of Gith
The Hooded Lantern
The Mermaid's Cups
The Red Pony
The Speckled Rat
The Sword and Buckler
The Tenth Pit
The White Casket

Clerk's Ward:

The Whole Note Inn
The Greengage

Guildhall and Market Wards

Imel's Happy Tongue
The Lost Dragon
Chirper's

The Hive Ward:

Allesha's Pantry
Bottle&Jug
The Whispered Word
The Sword's Salute

There's more in other books, but these should be most of them. Not all are exactly taverns, but you can get some kind of food or drink in all of these.

Tawmis
2009-12-17, 07:03 PM
Have none of you ever played L.O.R.D. (Legend of the Red Dragon) - the BBS door game? (I am probably showing my age, but I bet Rich knows what I am talking about!)

One of the most famous Inns to me is: The Red Dragon Inn from said game!

It's even the name we use for our inn in the machinima series I do as a tribute to L.O.R.D.

chiasaur11
2009-12-17, 07:05 PM
Cheers.

Sometimes you want to go...

Thane of Fife
2009-12-17, 07:20 PM
Baldur's Gate has the Elfsong Tavern, and I'm fairly certain that there's a Blushing Mermaid that's fairly famous (also Baldur's Gate, apparently).

Kane
2009-12-17, 07:25 PM
Callahan's Crosstime ...Pub? I'm not sure what the final word is.

I know there's other stuff. I KNOW it. Just can't think of it at the moment.

Oh, Mac's Pub in the Dresden Files.

chiasaur11
2009-12-17, 07:31 PM
Maccadam's old oil house, for the transformers fans out there.

Innis Cabal
2009-12-17, 07:37 PM
The Honest Lawyers Pub

secretbison
2009-12-17, 08:05 PM
Real-world British pubs have better names than anything in fiction:

The Goat and Compasses
The Frog and Nightgown
The Bull and Spectacles
The Bear and Ragged Staff
The Blazing Donkey
The Cow and Snuffers
The Jolly Taxpayer
The Man with a Load of Mischief (the sign features a man with a woman slung over his shoulder.)
The Swan with Two Necks

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-12-17, 08:28 PM
Callahan's Crosstime ...Pub? I'm not sure what the final word is.

I know there's other stuff. I KNOW it. Just can't think of it at the moment.

Oh, Mac's Pub in the Dresden Files.

Actually, it's Callahan's Place. The novel is Callahan's Crosstime Saloon.
His wife runs the Lady Sally's Brothel, a house of excellent repute.

But my favorite pub names?
Mad Dogs (Hong Kong. Only Englishmen and Mad Dogs go out in the midday sun!)
The Cat and the Fiddle (Durango CO, now tragically closed)
I've also been to the Dew Drop Inn(California), Bogart's Bar and Grille(Olongapo, PI), and a few other places who's names escape me now.

DranWork
2009-12-17, 08:58 PM
Stag and Crown
Rose and Thorn
Blue Mermaid

sentaku
2009-12-17, 09:04 PM
Well not an actual famous tavern, what about:

The generic d&d starting location tavern.

Haven
2009-12-17, 09:35 PM
Well not an actual famous tavern, what about:

The generic d&d starting location tavern.

I believe that's called "The Single Step". It's where every long journey starts, you see.

Finn Solomon
2009-12-17, 09:47 PM
Moe's Tavern!

kpenguin
2009-12-18, 03:12 AM
I can't believe nobody's mentioned the Tabard.

Amiel
2009-12-18, 03:12 AM
Baldur's Gate has the Elfsong Tavern, and I'm fairly certain that there's a Blushing Mermaid that's fairly famous (also Baldur's Gate, apparently).

These are actually located within Waterdeep, rather than Baldur's Gate, mate.

The supplements list the Elfsong Tavern and the Blushing Mermaid festhall within the locality of the City of Splendors, Waterdeep.

KuReshtin
2009-12-18, 04:55 AM
The Vulgar Unicorn - From the Thieve's World series of books.

Telonius
2009-12-18, 11:34 AM
Rick's Cafe American (Casablanca)
Mos Eisley Cantina (Star Wars)
The Leaky Cauldron (Harry Potter)
The Hog's Head (Harry Potter)

erikun
2009-12-18, 11:51 AM
Have none of you ever played L.O.R.D. (Legend of the Red Dragon) - the BBS door game? (I am probably showing my age, but I bet Rich knows what I am talking about!)

One of the most famous Inns to me is: The Red Dragon Inn from said game!

It's even the name we use for our inn in the machinima series I do as a tribute to L.O.R.D.
Funny, I though The Green Dragon (from the original post) was a reference to Legend of the Green Dragon - pretty much the same game, except it continues after beating the Dragon. (You get bonuses at each iteration.) I've played LotGD, but not LotRD. L.O.G.D.?

Nothing more to add, move along.

Shyftir
2009-12-18, 12:53 PM
Green Dragon is from Tolkien its in the Shire, great ale.

The Pig & Whistle (more Dragonlance fun there, also exists in some ren faires and WoW)

The Falling Apple Inn, not as widely famous, but very important to its little fan base.

The Inn that is on Fire (Every free-form RP inn we ever had among my friends. So much so that lighting places we were staying on fire was approaching meme status.)

From Wheel of Time

The Wellspring Inn
Easing the Badger
The Queen's Blessing
...countless others... RJ must of loved coming up with Inn names

Thane of Fife
2009-12-18, 02:27 PM
These are actually located within Waterdeep, rather than Baldur's Gate, mate.

The supplements list the Elfsong Tavern and the Blushing Mermaid festhall within the locality of the City of Splendors, Waterdeep.

Forgotten Realms Wiki puts both (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Blushing_Mermaid) in (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Elfsong_Tavern) Baldur's Gate. I know the Elfsong was in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (which was set in Baldur's Gate). This enormous list of Forgotten Realms Taverns and Inns (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9709&SearchTerms=elfsong+tavern) over at Candlekeep also places them both in Baldur's Gate.

Elaine Cunningham wrote a book titled Elfsong which was set in Waterdeep. There is an Elfstone Tavern in Waterdeep.

On the Blushing Mermaid, I can find a multitude of references to it being a tavern in Baldur's Gate and a festhall in Waterdeep, so maybe there are two? But I'm almost completely certain that the Elfsong is in Baldur's Gate.

Strawman
2009-12-18, 02:30 PM
Hard-science-fiction writer Larry Niven often made stories about Draco Tavern. It was a place in Siberia where aliens would come an have a drink, although the occasional human was there too.

Texas_Ben
2009-12-18, 02:35 PM
This is relevant. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egfCXLHfw-M)

The Rose Dragon
2009-12-18, 02:36 PM
Worlds' End Inn.

JonestheSpy
2009-12-18, 02:42 PM
The Vulgar Unicorn is my personal fave.

Cowboy Feng's Space Bar and Grill (home of the galaxy's best matzoh ball soup) is another great one, from Steven Brust's novel of the same name.

The Gentleman Loser was the primo cyberpunk hangout in William Gibson's first three novels.

The Inn of the Welcome Wench from the 'Village of Hommlet' was the first tavern to appear in a TSR DnD adventure, I believe.

For us Runquest fans, Gimpy's (so named for it's trio of ex-adventurer owners, each of whom lost a leg in the course of their first proffesiion) is the most famous tavern in Glorantha. I'm also very fond of The Stabbing cat Inn from the same world, named after the owners unfortunate encounter with a Smilodon.

And lastly and best of all, there's The Old Phoenix from several stories by fantasy grandmaster Poul Anderson. To my knowledge, the Old Phoenix is the first trans-dimensional bar to appear in fantasty or science fiction, where fictional and/or historical folks from all time and space could meet in the taproom, and maybe spend a single night upstairs...

smellie_hippie
2009-12-18, 02:47 PM
What about...... The Red Dragon Inn (http://www.dragonslair.dk/dlCart/dlimages/REdDragonInn.jpg)? :smallamused:

Ashtar
2009-12-18, 02:52 PM
The Drunken Giant (just off shadow square) - Dark Sun, City of Tyr

zyphyr
2009-12-19, 02:59 AM
There is always the Floating Vagabond (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_the_Floating_Vagabond).

Finn Solomon
2009-12-19, 10:43 AM
Worlds' End Inn.

Good shout lad. Can't believe I forgot about that one.

secretbison
2009-12-19, 08:36 PM

What kind of self-respecting pirate drinks in a "cafe"?

Isak
2009-12-20, 02:54 PM

First thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.

Nancy's, the Den of Debauchery and Sin! :smalltongue:

Decoy Lockbox
2009-12-21, 01:36 AM
For me, there's only one famous tavern. The Black Hand Inn. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEFGzrbOQsw)

pendragon222
2010-01-19, 09:18 PM
The Broken/Mended Drum.

]
i recognize this i just cant remember from where. one i know The Waystone Inn from The Name of the Wind

Dexam
2010-01-19, 09:31 PM
i recognize this i just cant remember from where.
Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. I'll also add "Biers" and "The Bucket" from there. :smallsmile:

Another tavern: "Honest John's" in the Hall of Worlds (Raymond Feist's Midkemia/Kelewan novels).

Grommen
2010-01-19, 10:01 PM
The Old Skull in Shadowdale on the Forgotten Realms

The Restraint at the end of the Universe.

Marko and Vinnie's in Ft. Lauderdale (Best pizza I've ever had)

Crabby ***** and the Hog's Breath in Key West.

Some of my favorite things.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-01-19, 10:01 PM
Also Discworld, The Klatchians Head

Grimlock
2010-01-20, 05:38 AM
I don't know if anyone's already said this but
"The Slaughtered Lamb" from "An American Werewolf in London"

Serpentine
2010-01-20, 06:00 AM
The Ettamogah Pub (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ettamogah_Pub)! :biggrin:

factotum
2010-01-20, 07:21 AM
The inn that was in the game of Planescape: Torment was called something like The Burning Man, wasn't it? ISTR you found Ignus there.