PDA

View Full Version : [4e] What's in a DND Insider Update?

falconflicker
2009-12-17, 07:18 PM
I'm considering getting a DND Insider subscription and I was wondering what's included each month as far as the books go? I'm particularly interested to know if getting the March subscription will get me PHB3, which comes out that month or if I will have to wait until April to get it?

Thanks

Gralamin
2009-12-17, 07:38 PM
I'm considering getting a DND Insider subscription and I was wondering what's included each month as far as the books go? I'm particularly interested to know if getting the March subscription will get me PHB3, which comes out that month or if I will have to wait until April to get it?

Thanks

The Character Builder and Compendium are usually one month behind.

Kaun
2009-12-17, 07:47 PM
i usualy buy a months sub every few months just to update the chr builder and that alone is worth the money.

Colmarr
2009-12-17, 08:38 PM
I'm considering getting a DND Insider subscription and I was wondering what's included each month as far as the books go?

Generally speaking, the updates include all of the "crunch" from the previous months' releases.

DDI includes very little fluff unless it directly relates to a class. For example, you miss out on all the groovy stuff from The Plane Below.

It also does not include the general rules. For example, you get access to all the summoning powers in the character builder, but not the actual rules for summoning. For that you need to buy the base book.

Mando Knight
2009-12-17, 08:45 PM
It also does not include the general rules. For example, you get access to all the summoning powers in the character builder, but not the actual rules for summoning. For that you need to buy the base book.

Except that those rules are also in one of the Dragon magazines, which DDI subscribers also get access to.

Really, DDI lets me spend less cash on mechanics-heavy splats and more on books like Draconomicon, DMG2, and Manual of the Planes. Sure, I get the crunch half a month to a month late, but it's better than waiting 'til I've got the cash to buy the book.

tcrudisi
2009-12-17, 09:11 PM

Thanks

You don't get any "books", per se. You do get all the Dragon and Dungeon magazines. Also, the character builder will have all the character options in it, so if the main thing you want are the new races, classes, feats, powers, magical items, etc, then the subscription is wonderful. If you are more interested in learning about why White Dragons prefer to live on a snowy mountain, then you would do best to purchase the Draconomicon instead. There's also the compendium which is a very valuable resource. Are you wondering exactly when and how many immediate reactions you can take in a turn? Look up "immediate reaction" and it'll give you the rules for it right there. It's quicker than looking it up in the books, and it is updated to include rules errata.

The DDI subscription comes with other things as well, though I have never used anything else. I can't give DDI subscriptions enough credit. The compendium + char builder are just marvelous. If you are a serious 4e player, they are invaluable tools.

If the PHB3 is released in March, it will be in the char builder and compendium in April.

Moff Chumley
2009-12-17, 11:07 PM
Wait, so a one month subscription gets you compendium & character builder?

tcrudisi
2009-12-17, 11:29 PM
Wait, so a one month subscription gets you compendium & character builder?

It would get you the compendium for one month (since that's an online resource). It also gets you all the updates for the character builder up to that point.

If you were to get a one-month DDI access right now, you would have the compendium for a month. You would also get the character builder with all resources/books up until the end of November. That stays with you permanently, as that is a download. However, it won't be updated when the PHB3 comes out, for instance, since you don't have a subscription to continue the downloads.

Moff Chumley
2009-12-18, 12:17 AM
Makes sense. Cool, I didn't know that! :smallsmile:

Gralamin
2009-12-18, 12:42 AM
Makes sense. Cool, I didn't know that! :smallsmile:

It's quite the good deal honestly. I've made much worse purchases.

Asbestos
2009-12-18, 12:56 AM
Speaking of all this.... when is Dragon 380 going into the Builder? Is it already? Cause I want to see some Abyssal Genasi options in there.

Colmarr
2009-12-18, 01:18 AM
Except that those rules are also in one of the Dragon magazines, which DDI subscribers also get access to.

I stand corrected on that specific example but I think my general point still stands :smallsmile:

I'm a big fan of DDI, so I wasn't trying to bash it - simply give a warts-and-all description of what bang you get for your buck.

i usualy buy a months sub every few months just to update the chr builder and that alone is worth the money.

QFT.

I myself purchase a month every quarter or every six months (sometimes more frequently if there's something I just HAVE to have) and use that opportunity to download all the Dungeons and Dragons I've missed in the meantime.

That's IMO the best bang-for-buck RPG deal around.

Asbestos
2009-12-18, 01:23 AM
Pretty much what I'm doing now too... now, if they came out with all those promised features that might be another story.

Thajocoth
2009-12-18, 02:07 AM
Speaking of all this.... when is Dragon 380 going into the Builder? Is it already? Cause I want to see some Abyssal Genasi options in there.

They're there now. For, like, the past couple days.

Hzurr
2009-12-18, 01:22 PM
Honestly, DDI is one of the best uses of money I've spent for the d&d game that I play. The Character Builder alone was worth the money, and the compendium, monster builder and magazines is also great.

In addition, you're allowed to have up to 5 updates a month, so this has allowed me to have it on my desktop, my laptop, and also on the laptop of the player whose house we play at; so that way we can print out character sheets there if need be.

its_all_ogre
2009-12-18, 02:20 PM
and with those 5 downloads you can download it onto friends pcs so the whole group have the cb for one payment per month