PDA

View Full Version : What is V's favored school?

Half-orc Bard
2009-12-17, 10:05 PM
It seems that V was an enchanter at the beginning, but later he seems to become an evokator.

CoffeeIncluded
2009-12-17, 10:08 PM
Nope, V's always specialized in Evocation.

Kish
2009-12-17, 10:16 PM
Vaarsuvius was always an evoker. :smallconfused:

AtopTheMountain
2009-12-17, 10:34 PM
V is an Evoker. One barred school is Conjuration, the other (by process of elimination) is most likely Necromancy.

In other words, she is almost the polar opposite of an optomized wizard.

Starscream
2009-12-17, 10:42 PM
V is an Evoker. One barred school is Conjuration, the other (by process of elimination) is most likely Necromancy.

In other words, she is almost the polar opposite of an optomized wizard.

If she banned Transmutation as well then he'd be the worst wizard ever.

I think this was intentional. By this level an optimized wizard would be in a whole different league than any of the other party members (with the possible exception of Durkon, clerics rule). This way it's a little more realistic that V is on the same level as a single classed fighter.

magic9mushroom
2009-12-17, 10:53 PM
Should note that Conjuration wasn't such a crap choice for a banned school under 3.0.

Conuly
2009-12-17, 11:07 PM
Should note that Conjuration wasn't such a crap choice for a banned school under 3.0.

Well, is it V's fault that they rewrote the laws of magic after V began studying them?

HealthKit
2009-12-18, 11:33 AM

Well, is it V's fault that they rewrote the laws of magic after V began studying them?

I wonder if it was planned by Rich ahead of time... so that V's inability to teleport (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html) acts a some sort of plot device that prevents the OotS from teleporting all over the place when the need arises.
Or something like that.

Morty
2009-12-18, 11:41 AM
I wonder if it was planned by Rich ahead of time... so that V's inability to teleport (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html) acts a some sort of plot device that prevents the OotS from teleporting all over the place when the need arises.
Or something like that.

It might very well have been. Teleportation as presented in D&D is DM's worst nightmare.
And really, I think V would be just as strong as The Giant needs her to be no matter which schools she barred.

Optimystik
2009-12-18, 11:47 AM
No planning necessary - Even if he were able to teleport, the Giant could simply have V not know the spell. Wizards do have to find and learn them, after all.

V is lacking several utility spells he could use, such as Ethereal Jaunt (would have helped a lot getting away from Xykon) and Polymorph (would have helped escaping the Death Knight.) The most logical explanation is that he doesn't know them.

As for knowing ahead of time, the comic came out after 3.5 was released (they convert in strip 1) and Rich is very D&D-savvy, so he would have known that teleportation was moved to conjuration before finalizing V.

Akisa
2009-12-18, 11:57 AM
Well V did cast one conjuration spell (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0020.html) :P. Perhaps the black tentacles or upgraded version are house ruled not to be conjuration.

Optimystik
2009-12-18, 12:03 PM
Well V did cast one conjuration spell (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0020.html) :P. Perhaps the black tentacles or upgraded version are house ruled not to be conjuration.

Funny, I don't see the school designator for Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion anywhere. :smallwink:

Morty
2009-12-18, 01:14 PM
No planning necessary - Even if he were able to teleport, the Giant could simply have V not know the spell. Wizards do have to find and learn them, after all.

V was given free access to Azure City's arcane library, though. A spell like Teleport is bound to have been there.

Optimystik
2009-12-18, 01:42 PM
V was given free access to Azure City's arcane library, though. A spell like Teleport is bound to have been there.

That was after the story was underway and the Giant had solidified V's drawbacks. I'm talking about the way V was designed before the Giant really knew where he was going.

After all, had V not banned conjuration, it's unlikely the Giant would have allowed him to get near teleportation magic unless the plot somehow required it going forward. He would instead have had Azurite magicians approach V and say "Out of gratitude for your upcoming assistance in the battle, here are spells X, Y and Z that we freely allow you to copy into your spellbook."

Morty
2009-12-18, 01:59 PM
That was after the story was underway and the Giant had solidified V's drawbacks. I'm talking about the way V was designed before the Giant really knew where he was going.

After all, had V not banned conjuration, it's unlikely the Giant would have allowed him to get near teleportation magic unless the plot somehow required it going forward. He would instead have had Azurite magicians approach V and say "Out of gratitude for your upcoming assistance in the battle, here are spells X, Y and Z that we freely allow you to copy into your spellbook."

True. But having V ban Conjuration was still the simplest way of never allowing V to use Teleport - thereby removing the need of coming up with reasons every time it comes up - so it's possible. Not that it makes much difference though, and it might be a part of V's spellcasting methods(blast it until it dies).

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-18, 02:05 PM

Possibly, but consider how hard it would've been with the Azure magicians there.

Optimystik
2009-12-18, 02:22 PM
True. But having V ban Conjuration was still the simplest way of never allowing V to use Teleport - thereby removing the need of coming up with reasons every time it comes up - so it's possible. Not that it makes much difference though, and it might be a part of V's spellcasting methods(blast it until it dies).

I'm not disputing that - merely pointing out that even if he hadn't, he had another plausible way not to have V jaunting all over his plot.

Possibly, but consider how hard it would've been with the Azure magicians there.

Why? They don't seem to be a huge distraction. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html)

Roderick_BR
2009-12-18, 02:30 PM

Except they had only booster packs in most magic shopes V visited.

SaintRidley
2009-12-18, 02:57 PM
Funny, I don't see the school designator for Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion anywhere. :smallwink:

I do believe it evokes shame and terror in the target on a failed Perversion save.

Optimystik
2009-12-18, 03:42 PM
I do believe it evokes shame and terror in the target on a failed Perversion save.

It could also be an Illusion (with a badly botched Will Save.)

Or even Transmutation, if he created his tentacles out of the floor.

Point being, it's inconclusive proof of V's spec on its own, either way.

Dark Faun
2009-12-18, 03:46 PM
Other than Favored School: PAIN.

SaintRidley
2009-12-18, 03:54 PM
It could also be an Illusion (with a badly botched Will Save.)

Or even Transmutation, if he created his tentacles out of the floor.

Point being, it's inconclusive proof of V's spec on its own, either way.

I was just trying to pull an evocation pun.

Tao the Ninja
2009-12-18, 06:09 PM
Or something like that.

Of course it is!

Asta Kask
2009-12-19, 05:35 AM
What is Belkar's favored school?

The School of Hard Knocks!