PDA

View Full Version : Need a suggestion

Window459
2009-12-17, 10:51 PM
im currently playing a barbarian and need advice should i go with weapon focus or power attack? thanks in advance

Moff Chumley
2009-12-17, 10:54 PM
Power attack, I'd say. :smallsmile:

inb4 p0w3r g4m3rzzz

sonofzeal
2009-12-17, 10:56 PM
What level? Books allowed would also help us give feat advice.

Weapon Focus is a pretty weak feat though. It's something to take in Core if you run out of other useful options, but that's hardly a major selling point. A static +1 doesn't really mean much.

Power Attack is useful, depending on the level. At low level you won't have the attack bonus to make much use of it, but at mid-high level it's crucial as attack bonus rapidly outpaces AC. Power Attack is the main source of damage of many builds, especially those who work in "Leap Attack" and "Shock Trooper". Ideally, you'd also work towards acquiring a method of touch attacks (a good one is "Martial Study: Emerald Razor").

Mushroom Ninja
2009-12-17, 10:58 PM
I can think of very few characters for which Weapon focus would be a better choice than power attack, but, since we know little about your character thusfar, it's hard to say for sure.

Window459
2009-12-17, 11:02 PM
were lvl 6, im building a barbarian/fighter eventually becoming a Champion of Gwynharwyf

sonofzeal
2009-12-17, 11:02 PM
I can think of very few characters for which Weapon focus would be a better choice than power attack, but, since we know little about your character thusfar, it's hard to say for sure.
Anyone who's playing a core only game at level 1 and is unlikely to make it past level 4, or has access to retraining at that point. Power Attack is pretty useless when you can't reliably hit AC 10 and kill most enemies in one hit anyway. Weapon Focus is a small bonus, to be sure, but at least it's a consistent and reliable one.

Most optimization advise assumes that you're playing at, or planning for, high level. If that's not the case, a lot of "common knowledge" goes right out the window.

Moff Chumley
2009-12-17, 11:04 PM
were lvl 6, im building a barbarian/fighter eventually becoming a Champion of Gwynharwyf

In that case, assuming you only have PHB, (which isn't true, I know. Bear with me.) power attack all the way. =)

sonofzeal
2009-12-17, 11:05 PM
Power Attack, then. And since you're picking up "Righteous Wrath", ask your DM how it interacts with Frenzy or Battle Fury, rage-like states that could really benefit from Righteous Wrath if it applies to them. If your DM approves, work on multiclassing into "Frenzied Berserker", which means taking feats now so you'll have them when you need them.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-12-17, 11:07 PM
Most optimization advise assumes that you're playing at, or planning for, high level. If that's not the case, a lot of "common knowledge" goes right out the window.

True enough, although you'll probably still want power attack even if you never make it past mid levels.