PDA

View Full Version : Boosting spellcasters?

Kantolin
2009-12-17, 11:57 PM
I'm looking at my bards, and am noticing that almost everything (my) bards do mostly bolsters physical hitters (Inspire courage, haste).

The spell compendium has 'Hymn of Praise' for divine caster level boosting, and Harmonic Chorus (+2 to Caster level & Save DCs, requires concentration).

That's the full extent I know of helping spellcasters (Well, and greater invisibility, I suppose. :P Everyone loves greater invisibilty).

Is there anything I'm missing? While I'm in particular looking for bardic options/spells, I wouldn't mind pretty much anything one can do to boost another caster.

~~~~~~~

Options found:
Spells(Spell Compendium): Hymn of Praise(Brd 3, Round/level, divine casters get +2CL), Harmonic Chorus(Brd 2, Concentration up to round/level, target gets a +2 morale bonus to CL and on save DCs)

Draconic Auras(Dragon Magic): Power (Bonus on caster/manifester level checks to overcome spell resistance), Energy (Boosts save DC of acid, cold, electricity, or fire).

Marshal Minor Aura(Miniatures Handbook): Determined Caster (Rolls to overcome SR)

Feat: Cooperative Spell(CompleteArcane)(If two adjacent casters cast the same spell and both have the feet, +2 to the save DC(+1 for each caster after the first), +1 to CL checks to beat SR(+1 for each other caster), and use the higher base DC and level check of either caster)

arguskos
2009-12-17, 11:58 PM
Sublime Chord. It's a PrC in Complete Arcane. It's AWESOME, since you become a full casting bard with more songs.

Kantolin
2009-12-18, 12:07 AM
Er, perhaps I was unclear.

Sublime Chord is awesome, but I'm looking for the ability to boost /other/ casters. Song of Arcane power would work if it could be done on other people, but it can't.

arguskos
2009-12-18, 12:08 AM

Sublime Chord is awesome, but I'm looking for the ability to boost /other/ casters. Song of Arcane power would work if it could be done on other people, but it can't.
Ah! Well, can't help ya much there dude. :smallredface:

AslanCross
2009-12-18, 12:20 AM
I checked the Crystal Keep feat index. It seems that most Bardic Music feats are about modifying or boosting your own casting, for some odd reason, and not the casting of others.

Ernir
2009-12-18, 12:24 AM
Cooperative Spell, a metamagic feat in Complete Arcane, maybe.

It kind of stinks, though. :smalltongue:

Kantolin
2009-12-18, 12:53 AM
Research of my own (Which I'm about to add to the opening post) has reminded me of marshal or dragon shaman auras.

Dragon Magic has Power (Bonus on caster/manifester level checks to overcome spell resistance), and Energy (Boosts save DC of acid, cold, electricity, or fire).

Marshal Minor Aura: Determined Caster (Rolls to overcome SR)

Man. I'm not saying that casters /need/ to be boostable, but this is a lot harder than I thought it would be. :P

Edit: Actually, huh. Cooperative spell is kinda cool - I definitely have to keep a note of that next time I run a pair of casters. Or, if the DM is willing to adjucate some house ruleling, a psion and a wizard/sorceror using similar spells. :P

Myrmex
2009-12-18, 03:39 AM

Chain it?

sdgdsgag

Kaiyanwang
2009-12-18, 06:11 AM
There should be an ACF for Spellscale bards (races of dragon) allowing to swap inpire competence for an arcane caster CL boosting.

Less sure, there should be a similar ability in form of a feat among bard feats in some Eberron books.

I'm AFB at the moment, but I hope can be an hint.

Aharon
2009-12-18, 08:43 AM
Well, if the other casters know you are going to boost them, they can take practiced spellcaster. Inspire Greatness bestows 2 bonus Hit Dice, 3 with Song of the Heart (? or another Eberron Bard feat, not sure about the name). That's another 3 caster levels, in addition to the other benefits of Inspire Greatness.

Salvonus
2009-12-18, 08:59 AM
Well, Doomspeak (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Doomspeak) is a Bardic Music ability that can benefit pretty much anyone. It's a massive boost for casters, given that you can give a -10 penalty to saves... :smallbiggrin: The save DC scales quite nicely and uses the Bard's primary ability score, so it has a good chance of being effective. Additionally, it's not mind-affecting or a fear effect (which are inherently mind-affecting anyway :smalltongue:), so virtually nothing is outright immune. The only issue is pulling off the 8 ranks of Intimidate as a straight-classed Bard... :smalltongue: