PDA

View Full Version : Ring the Golden Bell Clarification

Rasman
2009-12-18, 12:19 AM
I'm just trying to understand this feat a little better because it sounds...too good to be true...

Ring the Gold Bell
[General]
(DR319 p71)
Wisdom 13
Base Attack Bonus +5
Improved Unarmed Strike
Stunning Fist
Weapon Focus (unarmedstrike)

You may inflict Unarmed Strike damage, plus effects such as Stunning Fist that are inflicted along with your Unarmed Strike, as a Ranged Attack with a maximum range of 5’ + 5’ per Wisdom modifier. Usable (1 + Wisdom modifier) times per day.

is this basically saying that, for example, with a Wis of +4 I can "shoot" my melee attacks 25' AND potentially stun someone with an attack?

Does this mean I can also Flurry with this feat and it only take on use of it?

*envisions a monk blowing a candle out with just his hand from the other side of a room...*

AslanCross
2009-12-18, 12:26 AM
0. It's a monk feat. It's not that good just because of this.
1. You still need to spend a Stunning Fist use.
2. From what I can see, it only says "as a ranged attack." It says nothing about this working with a Full Attack (and thus, Flurry).

Gan The Grey
2009-12-18, 12:39 AM
If it says as a Ranged attack and not as a Standard action, then I see no reason why you couldn't use this feat as part of a full attack or flurry of blows, up to the number of times you can activate it per day. You would have to spend a use for each attack.

BobVosh
2009-12-18, 12:41 AM
don't forget you need precise shot, etc, since it is ranged.

Rasman
2009-12-18, 01:35 AM
well at level 7, I have 21 uses of Stunning Fist, I CAN'T see myself using it that many times a day, considering it's a Fort save and I haven't seen anything that has a bad fort save yet...besides me...

The Glyphstone
2009-12-18, 01:55 AM
well at level 7, I have 21 uses of Stunning Fist, I CAN'T see myself using it that many times a day, considering it's a Fort save and I haven't seen anything that has a bad fort save yet...besides me...

Whaaaaaat?

Special
A monk may select Stunning Fist as a bonus feat at 1st level, even if she does not meet the prerequisites. A monk who selects this feat may attempt a stunning attack a number of times per day equal to her monk level, plus one more time per day for every four levels she has in classes other than monk.

Are there houserules involved here that I don't know about? Even with taking Extra Stunning for every feat slot you have, I can't get 21 uses/day.

RandomLunatic
2009-12-18, 02:05 AM
Also, Ring the Golden Bell does not use you Stunning Fist uses, but its own pool of daily uses.

Rasman
2009-12-18, 02:13 AM
yeah...I may or may not have, for some odd, sleep deprived reason, multiplied my times by 3...and I'm not really sure why...just ignore that...

7 times a day is still a bit much considering we tend to have encounters where we fight 1-4 high CR monsters, rather than an army of CR 1/2 creatures

AslanCross
2009-12-18, 03:05 AM
If it says as a Ranged attack and not as a Standard action, then I see no reason why you couldn't use this feat as part of a full attack or flurry of blows, up to the number of times you can activate it per day. You would have to spend a use for each attack.

Sorry, I should've been clearer. That's what I meant. I meant it wasn't one use per full attack.

Myrmex
2009-12-18, 03:33 AM
You could just play a warlock and use stunning fist effects and ranged attacks all day long....

Kaiyanwang
2009-12-18, 03:38 AM
As I see it, you have a sort of inherent throwing weapon, but you can only use it as it would be your unarmed strike.

Since a fighter can, say, kill some one with a sword and then quickdraw a knife and throw it to another enemy during a full attack ation, IMO you can do the same with this feat.

Nevertheless, yes, IMO is one use FOR ATTACK.

The uses are limited - IMO the fat must be used for control. Think about a monk with imp trip and stunning fist.

Say, the monk has a enemy in melee and another near the rogue.

He full attacks, tripping the enemy nearby.

With the second attack, stuns the enemy away, that is now stunned near a rogue. ouch.

Rasman
2009-12-18, 04:22 AM
As I see it, you have a sort of inherent throwing weapon, but you can only use it as it would be your unarmed strike.

Since a fighter can, say, kill some one with a sword and then quickdraw a knife and throw it to another enemy during a full attack action, IMO you can do the same with this feat.

Nevertheless, yes, IMO is one use PER ATTACK.

The uses are limited - IMO the fat must be used for control. Think about a monk with imp trip and stunning fist.

Say, the monk has a enemy in melee and another near the rogue.

He full attacks, tripping the enemy nearby.

With the second attack, stuns the enemy away, that is now stunned near a rogue. ouch.

hmm...that's an interesting thought, actually...it's also amusing considering we have 3 rogues...kukukuku :amused:

but how to I work around the Flurry and then Range stun as a monk?

my knowledge of the rules and such have a lot of blanks in them, so to speak

Prime32
2009-12-18, 04:27 AM
I like to take (two levels of soulknife followed by) a level of soulbow, then the Flowing Blade (mind blade becomes monk weapon) and Stunning Master (stun with ranged monk weapons) feats.

You need to be a kalashtar for Flowing Blade, but they also have a racial substitution level which lets you pick any psionic feat as your 2nd-level monk bonus feat.

Kaiyanwang
2009-12-18, 05:10 AM
is this basically saying that, for example, with a Wis of +4 I can "shoot" my melee attacks 25' AND potentially stun someone with an attack?

If I've understood well, yes, but each attack consume one of your daily uses (5 in the example)

Does this mean I can also Flurry with this feat and it only take on use of it?

As said above, IMO is one use for each attack. Maybe someone with a greater rules-fu than me will enlighten you better.

sonofzeal
2009-12-18, 06:11 AM
Hmmm.... my Tashalatora PsiWar may make use of this, eventually....