PDA

View Full Version : Epic Spells Submission Thread

Zexion
2009-12-18, 01:01 AM
Post your extremely overpowered epic spells here for evaluation and to get ideas. No Spellcraft DC can go over 2,000. Out-of-the-box thinking is welcome and encouraged.
I'll start with just an idea of mine:

SHADOW METEOR SWARM
Evocation
Spellcraft DC: not exactly sure (Seeds: Energy)
Components: none
Casting Time: Standard Action
Range: 16 targets within 300 ft.
Effect: Dark meteors made of shadow fire from the caster’s hands, dealing 50d20 fire damage across a 40 ft. area spread.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Ref (half)
Spell
Resistance: Yes (I think)
Important information is in bold.

The spell is overpowered, yes, and capable of wiping out hundreds of high-level soldiers in one round, yes. Plus, no EXP cost, material component, or anything else! (Note: I would like to keep it that way, just so you know...) Just cast and leave the smoking remains of your enemies to simmer.
What do you think?

Milskidasith
2009-12-18, 01:10 AM
Post your extremely overpowered epic spells here for evaluation and to get ideas. No Spellcraft DC can go over 2,000. Out-of-the-box thinking is welcome and encouraged.
I'll start with just an idea of mine:

SHADOW METEOR SWARM
Evocation
Spellcraft DC: not exactly sure (Seeds: Energy)
Casting Time: Standard Action
Range: 16 targets within 300 ft.
Effect: Dark meteors made of shadow fire from the caster’s hands, dealing 50d20 fire damage across a 40 ft. area spread.
Saving Throw: Ref (half)
Spell
Resistance: Yes (I think)
Important information is in bold.

The spell is overpowered, yes, and capable of wiping out hundreds of high-level soldiers in one round, yes. Plus, no EXP cost, material component, or anything else! (Note: I would like to keep it that way, just so you know...) Just cast and leave the smoking remains of your enemies to simmer.
What do you think?

It costs a massive amount of EXP to develop because of the fact that EXP and gold are required to research this unimpressive spell.

Here's one:

Destroy the Universe.
Evocation
Spellcraft DC: 0
Casting Time: Swift Action
Range: The Universe
Effect: Infinite D20 dice to everything in the universe.
Saving Throw: Ref (Half)
Spell
Resistance: Yes
Mitigations: A crapload of your created creatures epic spell slots.

Epic spellcasting is broken, and there are no good ideas that can come of it. You can either get an overpriced spell with a minimal effect and a high DC (yours, which is... pretty bad, if you figure out the actual DC), or mitigate it to zero and do whatever the hell you want (mine).

The Tygre
2009-12-18, 01:42 AM
Destroy the Universe.
Evocation
Spellcraft DC: 0
Casting Time: Swift Action
Range: The Universe
Effect: Infinite D20 dice to everything in the universe.
Saving Throw: Ref (Half)
Spell
Resistance: Yes
Mitigations: A crapload of your created creatures epic spell slots.

I don't know... sounds kind of overpowered. I think I like the Shadow Meteors one better. It sounds really cool. :smallcool:

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-12-18, 01:44 AM
What about the feanmerc system?

Tavar
2009-12-18, 01:47 AM
What about the feanmerc system?

The what now?

The Tygre
2009-12-18, 01:55 AM
The what now?

Indeed. I am skeptical but intrigued, Dark Master.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-12-18, 02:06 AM
This here. (http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/download/file.php?id=32&sid=2401bce903bb8df4d62801a0f81a2edc)

Dante & Vergil
2009-12-18, 03:56 PM
Yeah, that version of Epic Spellcasting is the best I've seen, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who knows about it.

Zexion
2009-12-18, 07:22 PM
Okay... but EXP and gold is always required to develop a spell, right? So it doesn't really matter.
Oh, and for the Spellcraft DC, it was just a concept. That's what this thread is for.

Scarlet Tropix
2009-12-18, 07:32 PM
So what would the Dark Meteor Swarm transfer to in Feanmerc?
=o

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-18, 07:47 PM
It makes mitigation more difficult, true...
But doesn't the spell level system just encourage DC 0 spells even more?

Zexion
2009-12-18, 09:13 PM
What about a magical plague? How would that work? I would imagine it would require many Ad Hoc modifiers...

Milskidasith
2009-12-18, 10:00 PM
It makes mitigation more difficult, true...
But doesn't the spell level system just encourage DC 0 spells even more?

Yes. With the costs the same, but a hefty feat tax required on top of normal epic casting, having DC 0 spells is still necessary.

The Tygre
2009-12-18, 10:11 PM
What about a magical plague? How would that work? I would imagine it would require many Ad Hoc modifiers...

Define 'magical plague'. Do you mean a regular plague strengthened through magic, or like, some kind of arcane mutation epidemic or spots of chaos magic around the world or something like that?

Zexion
2009-12-18, 11:24 PM
Something like a micro antienergy field that jumps from person to person through the air, shorting out their nervous systems and minds, therefore killing them stone dead. So, a magical effect that acts like a plague, but is actually quite simple.

The Tygre
2009-12-18, 11:39 PM
Sounds pretty potent. Fort. saves allowed, I'm assuming?

Lysander
2009-12-18, 11:56 PM
Ok, I'm not going to bother figuring out how to actually make this. But you wanted a ridiculous epic spell:

Abracadabra
Universal
Components: None
Casting Time: One standard action
Range: Personal
Effect: Cast all your spells at once
Duration: One round
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

Casting Abracadabra forces you and allows to use all remaining non-epic spells slots you have for the day in a single round. You may direct each spell individually against any applicable target. Prepared spells that take longer than one standard action to cast, or that you cannot provide the components for simply have their slot wasted. You can choose to discard a spell slot rather than cast a spell with it. Spells with a duration of concentration expire at the end of the round. The spells Abracadabra allows you to cast count as their own non-epic level and as separate spells.

Zexion
2009-12-19, 01:19 PM
Fort saves, yes, would be allowed. UNLESS you are immune to Electric energy, then you just die, no save.
Or it could be a Will save, to keep the energy from leaving your body... it would probably have the Dispel seed. I am currently working on it.
EDIT: Here is the spell: Yes, it uses a Fort save.

Shutdown Virus
Abjuration
Spellcraft DC: 45 (19+25-10+20)
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: 300 ft. (per target)
Target: One creature, object, or spell
Duration: 1 round/Generation
Saving Throw: Fort
Spell Resistance: No
To Develop: 20 ft. Spread/Caster Level (Ad Hoc +25), Easy Target: Nervous System (-10), One Action Casting Time (+20)

A ripple of warped space jumps from your outstretched finger to an enemy, shuting down their nervous system (killing them). When it hits them, a larger ripple of space spreads out for 20 ft, . This spreading repeats once per round for 1 round/caster level, spreading out from all targets of the spell last round (doesn't matter if they died). The save DC against the effect decreases by 1 every successive round the virus is in action. The spell can be modified to warp nonmagical weapons with a 10+ to the DC. Weapons do not get saves against the effect. This spell does not work against Undead.

Zeta Kai
2009-12-19, 02:37 PM
Abracadabra

Evocation & SOD/S spells just got a whole lot scarier.

Of course, once you've gone nova, your glass cannon is depleted, & anything left standing is essentially facing an epic-level Commoner.

Zexion
2009-12-19, 02:57 PM
Indeed. My DM once had a very powerful lower cosmic level sorcerer that participated in a battle against an infinite swarm of evil deities. The sorcerer was SUPPOSED to be our first line of battle, as I was still 150th level at the time. Our side was having a very easy time of it, and to make it tougher, my DM decided to get the sorcerer to expend ALL of his spells at once. Not fun for the opposing side. Unluckily for my DM, it actually destroyed the opposing plane of existence that the demon gods were coming from, and he had to give me a story EXP award for... watching Armageddon.

Lysander
2009-12-20, 01:56 AM
Evocation & SOD/S spells just got a whole lot scarier.

Of course, once you've gone nova, your glass cannon is depleted, & anything left standing is essentially facing an epic-level Commoner.

You'd definitely want a wand and some scrolls on hand for afterwards if you plan to cast it. Or set up a Contigency to teleport you home after.

Zexion
2009-12-20, 02:30 AM
I agree. If several castings of Shutdown Virus were successive, well, things could get really scary. Does anyone see a problem with Shutdown Virus?

Dante & Vergil
2009-12-20, 02:46 AM
I can't remember where it says it, but the feanmerc system only allows an Epic Spellcasting DC to be reduced by up to half or some fraction. (i.e. so when you create a spell with like a 500, you still can only mitigate it in N hunddreds.)

Real Sorceror
2009-12-20, 04:43 AM
These aren't nearly as broken as some of the spells posted above, but they're still fun as hell.

Mega Fowl
School: Transmutation; Level: 11
Spellcraft DC: 40
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Target: hostile creatures within 20ft/level
Effect: turns monsters into chickens
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Fort negates; Spell Resistance: Yes
This spell transforms hostile creatures of Huge or Large-size into Dire chickens and creatures of Medium or Small size into normal chickens. Targets are allowed Fortitude saves (DC+5) to negate the effect of the spell. The transformation is permanent. Sufficiently powerful creatures (those with 10 more HD/levels than the caster) are unaffected by this spells.

Summon Endless Ninjas
School: Conjuration (Summoning); Level: 12
Spellcraft DC: 51
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: short (25 ft. + 5 ft./level)
Effect: A whole stack of Ninjas
Duration: 40 minutes
Saving Throw: None; Spell Resistance: no
This spell summons a number of Ninja Minions equal to the character’s caster level. They appear immediately, as close to the designated area as possible. They understand any language the caster can speak and act as directed. When killed, Ninja Minions and their equipment disappear in a puff smoke, leaving behind no trace of their presence. Ninja minions will not take initiative and follow all orders to the letter. They will not attack or do anything except defend themselves unless directed to do so.

Ninja Minion (CR 1/2)
LE Medium Natural Humanoid (Minion, Shadow)
Initiative: +2; Senses: Perception +5, Darkvision
----------------------------------------
HP: 1 (Minion); Fort +1 Ref +4 Will +2
AC: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 Wis)
Speed: 30 ft. Attack Bonus: +0/+1
Attack: Ninjato +3 melee (1d6/19-20/x2) or shurikan +2 ranged (1d2+poison)
Special Attack: +1d6 sudden strike
Skills: Acrobatics +6 (+16 Jump), Athletics +4, Disable Device +5, Perception +5, Stealth +7
Feats: Stealthy, Weapon Finesse
Special Abilities: Trapfinding
Str 10 (+0), Con 12 (+1), Dex 14 (+2), Int 12 (+1), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 8 (-1)
Gear: Masterwork Ninjato, 20 shurikans, 5 doses of black adder venom (Fort DC 11/1d6 Con/1d6 Con),
3 flash pellets, ninja garb (+1 on stealth checks)
Ninja Leap: Ninjas have a +10 anime bonus on Jump checks and are always treating as if making a running jump. Ninja Minions are not restricted by their height when making Jump checks.

Lysander
2009-12-20, 12:19 PM
Epic Disintegrate
Components: V, S, M
Range: 120 ft.
Area: 120-ft. line
Saving Throw: Fortitude Half
Spell Resistance: Yes

You release an immense green beam of energy that treats each creature and object in its path as having been hit by a Disintegrate spell. Each target is subject to its own individual saving throw.

Epic Fireball
Evocation [Fire]
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 1000-ft.-radius spread
Saving Throw: No

As Fireball, except the fireball spreads to cover an immense area.

Epic Energy Drain
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text for Energy Drain

This spell functions like Energy Drain, except that it also creates a simulacrum of the target that has a number of class levels or HD equal to the number of levels drained.

The simulacrum is like that created by the simulacrum spell except it the same type of creature as the target rather than an ice duplicate, and it can be healed by all normal means. It is created with a shadow copy of all the target's equipment, except this equipment does not retain any magical properties of the original. If the victim regains its drained levels the simulacrum loses an equal number of levels; if it loses all its levels it and its equipment stops existing.

sigurd
2009-12-20, 05:00 PM
5 Bucks
Level - Infinite

Everyone at the table has to give the player 5 dollars of legal currency.
The focus for this is a gullable player :)

Zexion
2009-12-21, 03:42 PM
Sigurd, that is funny...

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-06, 06:32 PM
Epic Disintegrate
Range: 120 ft.
Area: 120-ft. line
Saving Throw: Fortitude Half

You release an immense green beam of energy that treats each creature and object in its path as having been hit by a Disintegrate spell. Each target is subject to its own individual saving throw.

Epic Energy Drain
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text for Energy Drain

This spell functions like Energy Drain, except that it also creates a simulacrum of the target that has a number of class levels or HD equal to the number of levels drained.

The simulacrum is like that created by the simulacrum spell except it the same type of creature as the target rather than an ice duplicate, and it can be healed by all normal means. It is created with a shadow copy of all the target's equipment, except this equipment does not retain any magical properties of the original. If the victim regains its drained levels the simulacrum loses an equal number of levels; if it loses all its levels it and its equipment stops existing.

Me likey. That Energy Drain one is becoming a plot hook.

GoC
2010-01-06, 07:20 PM
:smallsigh:

Immortality
Casting Time: 1 minute

This spell gives you magic immunity, continuous youth, immunity to hitpoint damage, counteracts anti-magic fields in the area and moves you out of the way of any epic dispels.

Epic spells are broken.

The Tygre
2010-01-06, 08:14 PM
Epic spells are broken.

*gasp!* Does this also mean that water is wet?

BavetteOfAgony
2010-01-06, 09:05 PM
... Humm I never played with Epic Spells more than I should, as I respect magic over many things. But I did an epic spell in homage to the Great Seal of the Deep Imaskari, a spell that fooled gods and mortals, no wonder the tittle it received.

And since you guys where talking about high DCs and high effects and low DCs and epic effects, there it goes.

The Great Seal
Abjuration (Symbol, Ritual)

Seeds: Ward, Reflect, Compel
Spellcraft DC: 175
Components: V, S, XP
Casting Time: 50 days and 10 minutes
Range: Touch
Target: 10240 ft. emanation centered on Symbol.
Saving Throw: Will (see text)

To develop: 1.575.000gp; 32 days; 63.000 XP; Seed: Ward (DC 14), Compel (DC 19), Reflect (DC 27). Factors: change area to 20 ft. radius centered on caster (+2 DC), increase radius to 2000 feet (+392 DC), permanent duration (x5 DC). Mitigating Factors: Increase casting time by 10 minutes (-20 DC), increase casting time by 50 days (-120 DC), burn 10.000xp (-100 DC), 75d6 backlash (-75 DC), eighteen casters contributing with a 9th level spell slots (-306 DC).

Description and history
The symbol of The Great Seal spell is composed of hundreds of thousands of smaller symbols and glyphs and wards, all with the prospect to weave this precise and extremely complex spell. The symbol itself is of little importance least to disseminate the magical effects into, and around, the entire area surrounding Deep Imaskar. But trough intricate patterns it still is a reliable source of light, study and history that the Deep Imaskari revere as a true sign of the Imaskari craftsmanship and magical prowess. All and any student of magic of Deep Imaskar work around the borders of the Great Seal to understand and comprehend their legacy left by the Lord Artificer Ilphemon. Said the tales that Ilphemon and his students had to cast the spell for entire 50 days, without stopping to eat, drink or anything else, only sustained by magic. Some say they even needed the help of one of the fabled Imaskarcana. The backlash resulting from the stress of magical energy and their weakened stated had killed half of Ilphemon's students and almost destroyed the Lord Artificer himself. He died some years later from the stigmas that the casting of this powerful spell had caused upon him and never had the chance to see with own eyes his most glorious work; The Great Seal.

The entire affected area is impenetrable to any kind of magic, divine or arcane in nature, from outside sources and any harmful magical effect that targets the functioning symbol, as a dispelling or destructive effect, is reflected back at the caster and the symbol itself is suspended at far higher side of the cavern, upside down and leaning to the southern walls, covering half of it. Ilphemon designed the entire spell to be untouchable. As a second effect, all who think about the Imaskari empire will realize they are in truth dead, although a will save (DC 32) is allowed if someone had any interaction with the Imaskari survivals, but such thing didn't happen in the last thousand years. Even the majority of the gods themselves believed the Imaskari Legacy had really disappeared.

The only way to break through the warding magic is by the conjunction effects of a number of powerful abjuration spells. The intricate pattern of defensive wards that allow someone to step trough the Great Seal is a secret held by the highest ranks of Planners, Enacters and Aprehenders of Deep Imaskar, and is only possible because one of the runes amidst the intricate symbol had been safely removed. Otherwise it would be completely impossible to breach it.

Anyone can notice it abide by the rules, so I quite worked hard on it. I am still researching a way to lower the DC (even Ilphemon being a 48 level Imaskari Artificer, this spell is quite overwhelming, true) and when its done, the spell that tells everyone you are dead and deflect all spells up to epic will be accessible to normal sods like us...

Dante & Vergil
2010-01-06, 09:56 PM
Maybe it's time that we, the playgrounders, homebrew up a system of Epic Spellcasting that works. Whad'ya say?

Glimbur
2010-01-06, 11:01 PM
Maybe it's time that we, the playgrounders, homebrew up a system of Epic Spellcasting that works. Whad'ya say?

It would be easier to pretend that Epic doesn't exist; have people keep getting higher and higher level spell slots as they level, and individually make up 10th and 11th level and such spells. Although, since Wish is 9th level, I'm not certain what spells we could put there.

Then there are Epic BAB and Epic Saves to consider...

We also might want to not give Epic levels in spellcasting classes free Epic feats because now they get Epic spells included; or we could keep them in to encourage single-classing. It's still inferior to full casting PrC's though.

jokey665
2010-01-06, 11:09 PM
It would be easier to pretend that Epic doesn't exist; have people keep getting higher and higher level spell slots as they level, and individually make up 10th and 11th level and such spells. Although, since Wish is 9th level, I'm not certain what spells we could put there.

Then there are Epic BAB and Epic Saves to consider...

We also might want to not give Epic levels in spellcasting classes free Epic feats because now they get Epic spells included; or we could keep them in to encourage single-classing. It's still inferior to full casting PrC's though.

I've been doing this with my quasi-rewrite of epic that I'll be testing with my gaming group shortly. I've also been making epic progressions for classes (all base are done, doing prestige as needed), and I've decided to make all full-casting PrCs lose a casting level at 11th and every following 10, so 21st, 31st, etc., whereas the base classes don't.

Dual-progression tentatively advance each class at a 2/3 rate, so 11th advances one side, 12th advances the other side, 13th advances both, rinse repeat.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-07, 06:11 AM
:smallsigh:

Immortality
Casting Time: 1 minute

This spell gives you magic immunity, continuous youth, immunity to hitpoint damage, counteracts anti-magic fields in the area and moves you out of the way of any epic dispels.

Epic spells are broken.

Just be an Elan and Persist Timeless Body (Psionic power) using Overburn, and invest heavily in Rings of Spell Storing full of Dispels to counterspell.

Can't remember exactly how, but I've done this with a character before pre-Epic.

GoC
2010-01-07, 08:46 AM

Check siggy.:smallbiggrin:

The Tygre
2010-01-07, 05:19 PM

I'm going to assume you mean Epic -Spellcasting- and not Epic in general...

Although I've oft and long thought about the progressive spell slot system. It really does seem the most logical way to go. But theory and practice are two different things, so... And of course there is the matter of where do we go beyond Wish? Greater Wish?

Lysander
2010-01-07, 06:08 PM
One possibility could be to get rid of epic class levels entirely, and once a character reaches level 20 they have to start taking levels in entirely new classes. Simply say that 20 is the highest level any mortal can achieve.

It would even be interesting to have a world where level 10 is the highest level attainable in any class (for PCs and NPCs to keep things balanced).

The Tygre
2010-01-07, 06:19 PM
One possibility could be to get rid of epic class levels entirely, and once a character reaches level 20 they have to start taking levels in entirely new classes. Simply say that 20 is the highest level any mortal can achieve.

It would even be interesting to have a world where level 10 is the highest level attainable in any class (for PCs and NPCs to keep things balanced).

No. I reject your reality, good sir.