PDA

View Full Version : 4e- New Familiar Stuff, pretty awesome?

Asbestos
2009-12-18, 01:05 AM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/downloads/dragon/382/382_Familiar_Power.pdf

DDI only.

But, its got a ton of powers that have a rider for "Active Familiar" some of which are pretty sweet such as...

Familiar Harrier Wizard Utility 2
You send your familiar in to keep your opponent off balance.
At-Will ✦ Arcane, Teleportation
Move Action
Effect: Teleport your familiar 10 squares, and until the end of
your next turn your familiar can flank with you or your allies.
When an attack hits a creature flanked by the familiar,
that creature cannot shift until the end of its next turn.

or...

Thunderous Wizard Attack 17
Transformation
You translate your enemy’s physical form into a monstrous
peal of thunder before it reincorporates nearby.
Encounter ✦ Arcane, Teleportation, Thunder, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 10
Primary Target: One creature
Primary Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier thunder damage, and any
creature within 2 squares of the target takes 10 thunder
damage and falls prone. Then you teleport the target 5
squares.
Active Familiar: You can teleport the target up to 20 squares
to a space within 3 squares of your familiar.
The latter is of course used with a flying familiar 20 squares above the ground...

Also has some new feats, familiar slot items (only 2 sadly), a ritual that lets you enlarge your familiar into a mount and it only costs 25gp and takes 5 min to cast... downside is when your familiar/mount takes a paltry amount of damage it turns back into a regular familiar. Cheapest/lowest level flight you can find.

There are also has 4 new familiars including a Specter, an air elemental, an earth elemental (with a very limited tremorsense that it shares with its master), and a tiny gelatinous cube that besides giving some slight acid resistance is invisible and can consume "nonliving organic objects that it touches at a rate of 1 pound of material per round". Does that mean it can eat undead? :smallwink:

The Glyphstone
2009-12-18, 01:12 AM
Anything for non-Wizards? I've got a Sorcerer who uses his familiar all the time.

Asbestos
2009-12-18, 01:15 AM
Anything for non-Wizards? I've got a Sorcerer who uses his familiar all the time.

Sadly it didn't look like any of the powers were.... but the feats are for anyone with a familiar and if you've got ritual caster you can ride that familiar around. The feats make is generally easier to move the little guys around without wasting your own actions.

tcrudisi
2009-12-18, 01:33 AM
The Tiny Gelatinous Cube is made of win. I desperately want to play a Wizard now so I can get one as a familiar and then ride around on it. The Gelatinous Cube then becomes large size and invisible (edit - after casting the ritual).... so you would see a nude Wizard sitting on something slowly (speed 2) moving around. Combine this with one of the feats which gives your familiar Teleport 2, and you could periodically see this nude Wizard bamfing around.

Yes, this is complete epic win and I will play it soon.

Asbestos
2009-12-18, 01:39 AM
The Tiny Gelatinous Cube is made of win. I desperately want to play a Wizard now so I can get one as a familiar and then ride around on it. The Gelatinous Cube then becomes large size and invisible.... so you would see a nude Wizard sitting on something slowly (speed 2) moving around. Combine this with one of the feats which gives your familiar Teleport 2, and you could periodically see this nude Wizard bamfing around.

Yes, this is complete epic win and I will play it soon.

And then someone finds you some inorganic clothes or living organic clothes.

Kylarra
2009-12-18, 01:44 AM
Tiny gelatinous cube makes me really want to suicide my current char and take up being a wizard. :smallbiggrin:

tcrudisi
2009-12-18, 01:48 AM
And then someone finds you some inorganic clothes or living organic clothes.

No need. I'll use Summoned Cloth Armor, so I can store it and get it back as minor actions. (Yes, I've been thinking about this since I first read the article.)

Hal
2009-12-18, 06:53 AM
Feels incomplete, though. How could they do only two elementals? Or are fire and water in Arcane Power?

(Add in a heart elemental and, well, you know . . . )

serok42
2009-12-18, 07:48 AM
Okay I am totally taking that "Familiar mount" ritual for my artificer.

How awesome will it be riding around on a large disembodied hand?

It will add to his creepy factor. :smallbiggrin:

Burley
2009-12-18, 10:32 AM
Okay I am totally taking that "Familiar mount" ritual for my artificer.

How awesome will it be riding around on a large disembodied hand?

It will add to his creepy factor. :smallbiggrin:

Even more awesome: Riding on a giant Hob (http://dresdencodak.com/2007/06/30/in-the-company-of-science/)! (See very bottom left panel.