PDA

View Full Version : Improving social skills? [4th ed]

Blas_de_Lezo
2009-12-18, 06:14 AM
I'm about to start a D&D 4th ed campaign. I'll be playing a human rogue, but I haven't decided anything more. Just that he'll be the social interactor of the party, so I want a way to improve his social skills, that is: streetwise, bluff, insight, diplomacy (I'm going to multiclass to get this one).

Is there a way to improve all at once, without wasting too much resources? Like a forgotten feat in a Dragon magazine or something? I know this may not be the proper forum, but I'm sure there are wise players in here who could give me hand!

Thanks in advance! :smallsmile:

Inyssius Tor
2009-12-18, 06:42 AM
Not too many, unfortunately. Aside from a high Charisma and skill training and an appropriate background for one of them, all which you of course already know perfectly well...

Feats:

From Divine Power, there's the Power of Skill domain feat. You need to count as a divine class and worship a god of skill, but you'd gain a +1 feat bonus to trained skill checks.

Similarly, if you somehow get the Channel Divinity class feature, the Divine Excellence feat'd give you a handy encounter power for that. Again, need to worship a deity of skill.

Again from Divine Power, there's the Holy Speech feat. You need to count as a divine class and be fluent in Supernal, so the requirements are kind of steep, but the benefit: the first time you successfully use Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate in each skill challenge, it counts for an extra success. Might be handy if you're already divine, you like languages, and you run into a lot of actual skill challenges.

Items:

A Gem of Colloquy is only a level 2 item. It'd give you a +1 item bonus to Bluff and Diplomacy checks, and an extra language of your choice (maybe Supernal, for Holy Speech?)

The Ioun's Revelation boon (a level 3 "item") would give you a +2 item bonus to all skill checks, as well as a really weak daily skill-boosting power.

Blas_de_Lezo
2009-12-18, 06:51 AM
Thanks Inyssius!! This looks particulary useful:

Again from Divine Power, there's the Holy Speech feat. You need to count as a divine class and be fluent in Supernal, so the requirements are kind of steep, but the benefit: the first time you successfully use Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate in each skill challenge, it counts for an extra success. Might be handy if you're already divine, you like languages, and you run into a lot of actual skill challenges.

My DM loves social skil challenges, so this one could be gold!

Kurald Galain
2009-12-18, 07:00 AM
Is there a way to improve all at once, without wasting too much resources?
Hybrid to bard and take Words of Friendship.

erikun
2009-12-18, 01:11 PM
Multiclass Bard for the Bardic Lore (PHB2) feat? Actually, from what you listed, that may just benefit Gather Information.

The Bard does have a good level 2 utility, though. +2 to any on skill, once per encounter? Given that you only make one check for Streetwise and Gather Information - and that you're spending more than 5 minutes, meaning no reason not to.

DabblerWizard
2009-12-19, 05:00 PM
I'm about to start a D&D 4th ed campaign. I'll be playing a human rogue, but I haven't decided anything more. Just that he'll be the social interactor of the party, so I want a way to improve his social skills, that is: streetwise, bluff, insight, diplomacy (I'm going to multiclass to get this one).

Is there a way to improve all at once, without wasting too much resources? Like a forgotten feat in a Dragon magazine or something? I know this may not be the proper forum, but I'm sure there are wise players in here who could give me hand!

Thanks in advance! :smallsmile:

A non item-based solution might involve training with an orator for a few weeks, for instance, if your DM is into that sort of thing.