PDA

View Full Version : Hail, Hail, Rock-n-roll

The J Pizzel
2009-12-18, 09:38 AM
Did anyone else watch the 25th Anniversary Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Concert last weekend (or two weekends ago) on HBO.

It wasn't bad, but I felt it lacked the "grand finale" that other Hall of Fame ceremonies have had. The opening speech by Tom Hanks was kinda cool though.

Favorite scenes:

Sting with Stevie Wonder (singing a medly of Message in a Bottle and Higher Ground). Stevie messed up and went flat on "The Way You Make Me Feel" by Michael Jackson and starting crying, it was kinda saddening. Other than that, Stevie's performance was awesome.

Simon and Garfunkle. Seriously, if S&F singing Sounds of Silence doesn't give you goosebumps, then you just don't appreciate good music. Paul Simon also did "Call Me Al" which is a fun song. Of course they also did Bridge Over Troubled Water, which was good. Bottom line, even though they still don't get along, and only do it for the money, they definitely still got it.

Mettalica. OH. MY. God. First off, I'm not a heavy metal person. Secondly, I don't know all the controversy behind that band and the napster stuff I'm learning about now. Here's what I learned finally watching a live performance of Mettalica: 1 - Their lead singer is HUGE and is actually a decent singer. 2 - Their lead guitarist is actually pretty good too. 3 - Their drummer is seven kinds of crap. I'm a very accomplished drummer and I can tell a **** drummer from a good one, and their drummer is pure crap. On a side note, Enter Sandman was kinda cool to see live. Their guests involved Ozzy (awful), some other guy (don't know who), and Ray Davies from the Kinks (nice performance)

U2. First off, U2 is pretty much in my top 5 bands, so I'm extremely biased. Putting that aside, it wasn't their best performance. But he did have The Boss come out and play "Because The Night" with Patty Smith (most people think it was done by 10,000 Maniacs, but Patty Smith actually wrote).

The Boss (Bruce Springstein). Pretty good performances. He had John Fogerty of CCR come out and they did Fortunate Son which was cool. Then they did Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison. Not bad.

Their were many more performances, but I'm tired of typing. Any thoughts?

Decoy Lockbox
2009-12-19, 12:18 AM
Mettalica. OH. MY. God. First off, I'm not a heavy metal person. Secondly, I don't know all the controversy behind that band and the napster stuff I'm learning about now. Here's what I learned finally watching a live performance of Mettalica: 1 - Their lead singer is HUGE and is actually a decent singer. 2 - Their lead guitarist is actually pretty good too. 3 - Their drummer is seven kinds of crap. I'm a very accomplished drummer and I can tell a **** drummer from a good one, and their drummer is pure crap. On a side note, Enter Sandman was kinda cool to see live. Their guests involved Ozzy (awful), some other guy (don't know who), and Ray Davies from the Kinks (nice performance)

Which controversy stuff did they bring up? I'm guessing they didn't talk about the disturbing stylistic shift they took in 1990?

Anyway, I refuse to accept the legitimacy of the rock and roll hall of fame until they induct Mercyful Fate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naE1D3L0GEA) (one of Metallica's main influences, and a way better band).

skywalker
2009-12-19, 01:47 AM
It's rock and roll. Do they really need a hall of fame? Isn't that kinda... antithetical to rock, in some ways?