PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Feint during AoO?

sparky22
2009-12-18, 10:05 AM
I realise the an AoO is a single melee attack and you can't feint normally. What about if you have an ability that lets you feint as a free action? Does it say anywhere about taking free actions during AoO's?

Thanks

Melamoto
2009-12-18, 10:12 AM
If it's a free action, you can do it. One such case is the invisible blade PrC (From CWar IIRC)

Glimbur
2009-12-18, 10:15 AM
Normally you can't take any actions when it is not your turn. Immediate actions are an exception. Free actions are not, consider the text for Speech:

In general, speaking is a free action that you can perform even when it isn’t your turn. Speaking more than few sentences is generally beyond the limit of a free action.

This implies that free actions in general cannot be taken when it is not your turn.

Ernir
2009-12-18, 11:15 AM
Actions can not be taken out of turn unless it is specified they can be. =/

Samb
2009-12-18, 11:35 AM
Invisible blade's capstone allows you to feint as a free action, which means you can do it on an AoO.

Ernir
2009-12-18, 11:38 AM
Invisible blade's capstone allows you to feint as a free action, which means you can do it on an AoO.

Why would it mean that?

Signmaker
2009-12-18, 11:42 AM
Why would it mean that?

It doesn't, considering the point made by Glimbur.*

Also be aware that Invisible Blade's been errata'd to be 1/round, even if it is a free action.

Correction: You can, but that's still your AoO. No feint+attack, unless you somehow managed to trigger two AoOs instead of one. Feint is a special attack option available on a non-charge, ergo you can use it instead of a normal attack on an AoO much like a trip attempt.

sparky22
2009-12-18, 12:17 PM
If it's a free action, you can do it. One such case is the invisible blade PrC (From CWar IIRC)

That class is exactly why I'm asking. Rightly or wrongly, I think I would allow it if I were the GM, assuming its 1 use for the round hadn't been used. Will have to see what my GM says.

Just wanted to see if anyone knew if this had been detailed anywhere that I wasn't aware of. Thanks for the input so far. :smallsmile:

Person_Man
2009-12-18, 12:31 PM
Invisible Blade was screwed in the errata so that they can only Feint once per turn. Feinting is also a pretty unreliable way way of qualifying for Sneak Attack, the class limits you to cruddy daggers, and the class isn't particularly strong either. So I would not suggest taking levels of that class. There are dozens of other ways to qualify for Sneak Attack, even for an AoO.