PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer/Rogue Build Help [4E]

OMG PONIES
2009-12-18, 10:25 AM
So, I'm rebuilding an old character who previously betrayed our party for a fun little return cameo, and the DM is allowing me the opportunity to rebuild him from the ground up (since my 4E op-fu is still pretty weak). Here are the non-negotiables:

Drow
Trained in Bluff, Stealth, and Thievery
Incorporate sorcerer and rogue in some way (hybrid or multi-classing)

Besides that, it's fair game. All 4E material available in Character Builder (as of the December update) has been approved. He needs to be rebuilt at 14th level for as much damage and sneakiness as possible. He was previously built as a sorcerer/rogue hybrid, which seemed a little lacking. I wasn't sure if sorcerers could use daggers as implements, but I'd like to have that if possible. I'm thinking of Storm Magic for his source, since it seems easiest to pump up, but I'm willing to hear other ideas. My main questions are feats, paragon path, and gear...I think I'll be okay with picking powers.

If anyone cares for the fluff (or can make a build that emphasizes this), he's a southern gentleman/conman. Essentially, he's a mixture of Sawyer (from Lost) and Foghorn Leghorn. I'm hoping to keep CHA maxed, for most efficient lies. Beyond that, I'm hoping to keep him alive and off the party's radar for as long as possible. When they find him, I'm hoping to hold my own in a lopsided brawl.

Kurald Galain
2009-12-18, 10:30 AM
The easiest way is to go full sorcerer, and take the Sneak of Shadows (rogue MC) feat for the stealth skill and 1/enc damage boost. And yes, sorcerers can use daggers, and can also use them to deliver sneak attack on a spell.

tcrudisi
2009-12-18, 12:12 PM
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
OMG STALLION, level 14
Drow, Sorcerer, Daggermaster
Spell Source: Storm Magic
Darkfire: Darkfire Charisma
Background: Luskan (Luskan Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 14, Dex 22, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 22.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 16.

AC: 28 Fort: 22 Reflex: 27 Will: 28
HP: 91 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +12, Intimidate +20, Stealth +21, Bluff +18, Thievery +19

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +13, Diplomacy +13, Dungeoneering +8, Endurance +9, Heal +8, History +7, Insight +8, Nature +8, Perception +8, Religion +7, Streetwise +13, Athletics +6

FEATS
Level 1: Focused Expertise (Dagger)
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)
Level 4: Sneak of Shadows
Level 6: White Lotus Riposte
Level 8: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 10: Slaying Action
Level 11: Sorcerous Blade Channeling
Level 12: White Lotus Master Riposte
Level 14: Armor Proficiency (Leather)

POWERS
Sorcerer at-will 1: Burning Spray
Sorcerer at-will 1: Blazing Starfall
Sorcerer encounter 1: Bedeviling Burst
Sorcerer daily 1: Blinding Bolt
Sorcerer utility 2: Spatial Trip
Sorcerer encounter 3: Thundering Gust
Sorcerer daily 5: Slaad's Gambit
Sorcerer utility 6: Chaotic Defense
Sorcerer encounter 7: Spark Form
Sorcerer daily 9: Adamantine Echo
Sorcerer utility 10: Dragon's Resolve
Sorcerer encounter 13: Thunder Breath (replaces Bedeviling Burst)

ITEMS
Bloodcut Drowmesh +3, Bloodiron Dagger +3, Staff of Ruin +3, Amulet of Double Fortune +3, Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic tier), Gloves of Piercing (heroic tier), Executioner's Bracers (heroic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

My logic:
Not every power is "the best available". Instead, I tried to focus on defense with the powers and offense with the feats. If the character stays alive, it can function a lot better. Who'd a thought? heh.

+22 static modifier damage is decent for this level, but once again: I focused mostly on defense.

Everything that was "non-negotiable" is included.

OMG PONIES
2009-12-18, 01:23 PM
...wow! Thanks for the great build (not to mention the great name). I'd still like to hear other options and opinions, but this is one heck of a great start!