PDA

View Full Version : Wizards...A Question or Two

Lord Denyuar
2009-12-18, 04:17 PM
I have heard a mention of a feat from some obscure reference that allows the loss of a familiar to offset a wizard's need of a spell book. Has anyone else heard of this feat or am I just losing sanity. If this is not real, is there a magical spell book that has unlimited pages in it? Thank you ahead of time.

jokey665
2009-12-18, 04:20 PM
I don't know of any ACFs that trade familiar for not needing a spellbook, but the Blessed Book (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#blessedBook) has 1,000 pages and negates the cost of writing spells into it.

Zeta Kai
2009-12-18, 04:23 PM
I have heard a mention of a feat from some obscure reference that allows the loss of a familiar to offset a wizard's need of a spell book. Has anyone else heard of this feat or am I just losing sanity. If this is not real, is there a magical spell book that has unlimited pages in it? Thank you ahead of time.

Play this class (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#spellcaster). It's a Sorcerer, but with a Wizard's bonus feats, & a spell-list roughly equal to "every spell ever written (sans exclusively-Bard spells)". As a bonus, it's in the SRD.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-18, 04:24 PM
I don't know of any ACFs that trade familiar for not needing a spellbook, but the Blessed Book (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#blessedBook) has 1,000 pages and negates the cost of writing spells into it.

Of course, it has the downside of essentially costing as much as writing the spells. Kinda an awkward tradeoff, IMO.

I don't believe your spellbook has to be a book per se. I remember reading something about using tattoos as an alternate spellbook, but I cant recall where.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-12-18, 04:25 PM
Of course, it has the downside of essentially costing as much as writing the spells. Kinda an awkward tradeoff, IMO.

I don't believe your spellbook has to be a book per se. I remember reading something about using tattoos as an alternate spellbook, but I cant recall where.

Complete Arcane had the option to scribe spells as tattoos, but you'll run out of "pages" pretty damn fast.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-18, 04:27 PM
Understandably so, given surface area issues. Still, its not a bad idea for a backup plan.

Personally, I like to keep looted spellbooks stashed away in various places in case of the odd event of me losing mine. Sure, it's not *as* good as having your own...but it's close, and a helluva lot better than having none.

Lord Denyuar
2009-12-18, 04:28 PM
Thanks for advice, I am a playing an epic level wizard while knowing practically every spell. But being a perfectionist, I am wanting to handle logistics of knowing where all my spells are located (while trying to not spend lots of money on multiple spell books or even eliminating need thereof). Thanks.

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-18, 04:29 PM
I was a tattooed wizard once. A gish, actually, I got all my gish important spells on my skin and everything else went into the book. It worked wonders and I recommend it. :smallsmile:

Tyndmyr
2009-12-18, 04:34 PM
I believe there's a spell that lets you access an extradimensional space(low level).

Scribe that on you with the other must haves, put spellbook in extradimensional space.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-18, 04:44 PM
There's a class in the BoEF that is basically a Wizard with Con/Int based spellcasting that uses tattoos instead of a book. Doesn't have the pages limitation, either.

The Glyphstone
2009-12-18, 04:57 PM
I've heard this mentioned too, I think it's called Eidetic Spellcaster. Where it's from, I don't know though.

Keld Denar
2009-12-18, 05:01 PM
There is a gem in some Eberron suppliment that functions as a spellbook. You study the gem and it tells you the spell in it. Mechanically the same as a spellbook in all ways, except that its a LOT more resiliant and easy to protect. When in doubt, keister it!

Surgo
2009-12-18, 05:02 PM
If you're just looking for spellbook alternatives, you can use Secret Page to make a spellbook for free.

Ryumaru
2009-12-18, 05:04 PM
Thanks for advice, I am a playing an epic level wizard while knowing practically every spell. But being a perfectionist, I am wanting to handle logistics of knowing where all my spells are located (while trying to not spend lots of money on multiple spell books or even eliminating need thereof). Thanks.

Could take a level dip into one of the classes I like in either Complete Mage/Arcane, forget which; Geomaester, or something. First level ability is you learn superior scribing techniques, and refine your spells to a higly efficient art; as I recall, with it, all spells now take up one page regardless of level, and cost nothing to scribe.

Keld Denar
2009-12-18, 05:07 PM
Geometer, derived from Geometry, who writes his spells as a single symbol, instead of a complex group of phrases and whatnots. This means that spells only take 1 page each. A Geometer with a BBB can scribe 1000 spells into it. GL finding 1000 spells, let alone 1000 spell worth knowing. If you have any doubts, grab a 2nd BBB and you'll potentially know up to 2000 spells!

ShakeHandsMan
2009-12-18, 05:11 PM
Play this class (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#spellcaster). It's a Sorcerer, but with a Wizard's bonus feats, & a spell-list roughly equal to "every spell ever written (sans exclusively-Bard spells)". As a bonus, it's in the SRD.

am i missing something? it looks like this class would allow me to learn 9th arcane and divine spells. The part about selecting arcane or divine specialization says
A spellcaster must choose at 1st level whether to be an arcane spellcaster or a divine spellcaster. This choice has no impact on the spells that she may learn, but affects what kinds of scrolls she can use and which ability score controls her spellcasting.

Pluto
2009-12-18, 05:30 PM
am i missing something? it looks like this class would allow me to learn 9th arcane and divine spells. The part about selecting arcane or divine specialization says

That's right. Spell lists are maleable in normal D&D (see the Witch in the DMG).

In groups using a variant that lets players pick and choose class features from any class's pool, this sort of explicit fluidity should be expected.

(That class isn't built for games involving non-generic classes, but it shouldn't matter: ASF is silly and has negligible effect on game balance past level 4 or 5 anyway.)

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-18, 05:32 PM
I've heard this mentioned too, I think it's called Eidetic Spellcaster. Where it's from, I don't know though.

You got the hard part done, knowing the name. You couldn't spare the time for a Google search?

Dragon Magazine #357, sayeth Google.

Thajocoth
2009-12-18, 05:46 PM

That... Technically... Would let you take Spellcaster 4/Mystic Theurge 1... Doubling the rate of progression in the Spellcaster class, losing a few bonus feats... Since you'd be able to cast both a Divine and an Arcane spell of level 2 at level 4...

Requirements

To qualify to become a mystic theurge, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills

Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 6 ranks.
Spells

Able to cast 2nd-level divine spells and 2nd-level arcane spells.

There must be a reason that what I've stated in this post is wrong, or lots of people would be doing it.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-18, 05:52 PM
1) Generic classes aren't exactly commonly allowed.
2) You don't get both arcane and divine spells. You get either arcane or divine spells, which can be from abnormal lists. Let's say you have two spells: Arcane Spellsurge and Footsteps of the Divine.

If you cast them both, you're not casting an arcane spell and a divine spell. You're casting two arcane spells or two divine spells. They were originally from an arcane or divine list, but their type is determined not by that, but by the class choice.

Kylarra
2009-12-18, 05:58 PM
Eidetic spellcaster from Dragon 357 trades your familiar and scribe scroll feat so that you no longer need a spellbook. You can still "scribe" spells into your "spellbook" by paying the normal costs as incenses rather than ink.

ShakeHandsMan
2009-12-18, 06:45 PM
1) Generic classes aren't exactly commonly allowed.
2) You don't get both arcane and divine spells. You get either arcane or divine spells, which can be from abnormal lists. Let's say you have two spells: Arcane Spellsurge and Footsteps of the Divine.

If you cast them both, you're not casting an arcane spell and a divine spell. You're casting two arcane spells or two divine spells. They were originally from an arcane or divine list, but their type is determined not by that, but by the class choice.

But functionally, there is nothing stopping me from casting Wish and Miracle right after each other. another what were they thinking moment?

tyckspoon
2009-12-18, 07:05 PM
But functionally, there is nothing stopping me from casting Wish and Miracle right after each other. another what were they thinking moment?

They were thinking it was kind of pointless to write a separate Arcane Generic caster and Divine Generic caster when the only difference would be that one of them has to deal with Arcane Spell Failure. Arcane and Divine magic really aren't that different; most arcane spells show up as divine somewhere.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-18, 07:22 PM
But functionally, there is nothing stopping me from casting Wish and Miracle right after each other.
So you burn 5000 XP, create a decent effect, and then cast Miracle. I don't exactly see the synergy here...

another what were they thinking moment?
I'll give you that. But your example wasn't exactly overwhelming.

Lord Denyuar
2009-12-18, 07:48 PM
Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was looking for: Eidetic Spell caster. Just wasn't expecting to lose scribe scroll, but thanks for y'all's help. I will definitely keep it in mind.

Zeta Kai
2009-12-18, 11:36 PM
When in doubt, keister it!

Wait, what? :smallconfused::smalleek:

sofawall
2009-12-18, 11:45 PM
I think he means that if there is a chance of losing it, or you aren't sure where to put it, insert it into your keister.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-18, 11:45 PM

two words: Cavity Search.....

EWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a wizard question:

I want to run the wizard who "spent too long in the library" and has a magical book bound to his wrist. He cannot cut the chain, and the book holds all of his spells. And recently, it shows him visions of the future and tells him it will grant him power in exchange for "service", or so say my DM

what sorts of feats should I focus in? I'm a tiefling Wizard3/Archivist3/ParagonisticApostle2 rite now

absolmorph
2009-12-18, 11:49 PM
Indeed.
I'm wondering why anyone would want to shove that THERE. Ever.
Eat it, maybe.

sofawall
2009-12-18, 11:54 PM
two words: Cavity Search.....

EWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a wizard question:

I want to run the wizard who "spent too long in the library" and has a magical book bound to his wrist. He cannot cut the chain, and the book holds all of his spells. And recently, it shows him visions of the future and tells him it will grant him power in exchange for "service", or so say my DM

what sorts of feats should I focus in? I'm a tiefling Wizard3/Archivist3/ParagonisticApostle2 rite now

Wrong in so many ways...

I'd take whatever feat it is that allows you to ask your DM if you can do a quick character rebuild.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-19, 12:00 AM
Wrong in so many ways...

I'd take whatever feat it is that allows you to ask your DM if you can do a quick character rebuild.

I havent built him yet. Mabye Mystic Theurge instead?

sofawall
2009-12-19, 12:02 AM
I havent built him yet. Mabye Mystic Theurge instead?

The least of your problems.

What does wizard get you that Archivist does not?

ShakeHandsMan
2009-12-19, 03:32 AM
So you burn 5000 XP, create a decent effect, and then cast Miracle. I don't exactly see the synergy here...

I'll give you that. But your example wasn't exactly overwhelming.

Wasn't really trying to set up any game breaker, just pulling that out as an example.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-19, 10:26 AM
The least of your problems.

What does wizard get you that Archivist does not?

Bonus feats. Pure and simple

Darrin
2009-12-19, 07:27 PM
There is a gem in some Eberron suppliment that functions as a spellbook. You study the gem and it tells you the spell in it. Mechanically the same as a spellbook in all ways, except that its a LOT more resiliant and easy to protect. When in doubt, keister it!

Not sure about Eberron, but there are about a dozen or so "alternative" spellbooks in various Forgotten Realms sourcebooks, most of them some type of gem. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of editorial guideline at WotC for FR books: "Every FR sourcebook must include at least one type of alternative spellbook that is not a book. Gem, flute, folding chair, armored beer fridge, whatever, but no trendy FR wizard would ever be caught dead (or undead) carrying around something as horrendously unstylish as a book."

Roderick_BR
2009-12-20, 12:39 AM
Except that, for you, they both are either arcane spells, OR both are divine spells. Not one of each. Technically, MT is already built in, seeing as you can customize your spell list.