PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Optimising an aspergillum

Grumman
2009-12-18, 04:27 PM
When I saw the heavy aspergillum in Races of Faerun I decided it would be a nice, thematic emergency weapon for a certain type of character. This is what I've got so far:

Alchemical silver heavy aspergillum w/oil chamber - 1,490 gp
+1 Toxic Evil Outsider Bane - 18,000 gp

Holy water - 3 doses - 75 gp
Jade water - 1 dose (2 with Toxic) - 350 gp

Thoughts? Ways to improve the save DC for the jade water?

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-18, 04:34 PM
What is jade water from?

Grumman
2009-12-18, 04:36 PM
It's a poison ravage from the Book of Exalted Deeds.

Keld Denar
2009-12-18, 04:42 PM
Sacred from Libris Mortis is a +1 equiv that gives +2d6 damage against evil outsiders, and +1d6 vs undead. Also flavors your weapon with [Good], allowing you to bypass DR. If you are gonna be smitin tha fiends, its the best damage/bonus you can get.

Also, consider picking up Spellstoring and throwing in a Poison spell from a drood. This could do some damage and also lower the foe's resistance to the Jade Water.

Grumman
2009-12-18, 04:52 PM
Sacred from Libris Mortis is a +1 equiv that gives +2d6 damage against evil outsiders, and +1d6 vs undead. Also flavors your weapon with [Good], allowing you to bypass DR. If you are gonna be smitin tha fiends, its the best damage/bonus you can get.
Thanks, that's a good idea. I'll have the Good alignment covered from my class, but an extra 2d6 damage is always handy.

Also, consider picking up Spellstoring and throwing in a Poison spell from a drood. This could do some damage and also lower the foe's resistance to the Jade Water.
I would, but anything worth bludgeoning with a holy water dispensing mace is probably going to be immune to regular poisons - demons are, devils are and undead are, too.

arguskos
2009-12-18, 04:58 PM
Uh, this idea is awesome and everything, but I has me a question: what's Toxic, and where's it from? Also, what is an oil chamber? And I assume alchemical silver is the "I own werewolves" material, yes?

Grumman
2009-12-18, 05:02 PM
Uh, this idea is awesome and everything, but I has me a question: what's Toxic, and where's it from?
Toxic is from Drow of the Underdark, and lets you get twice as many hits out of a single dose of poison.

Also, what is an oil chamber?
An equipment modification from Dungeonscape that lets you coat the item with an oil as a swift action. It's normally not recommended to use poison in it, since you are automatically caught in the spray as well, but ravages only affect evil creatures so that's not a concern.

And I assume alchemical silver is the "I own werewolves" material, yes?
Yes, but more importantly in this case, it's the "I own devils" material.

arguskos
2009-12-18, 05:04 PM
Ah. Many thanks. I was hoping Toxic would be better (something like letting you make your own poisons in the weapon), but that's decent enough I guess. +1 enchantment, yeah?

Grumman
2009-12-18, 05:06 PM
That's correct.

AslanCross
2009-12-18, 06:46 PM
Complete Champion has an aspergillum that can create its own Holy Water 3/day. It's not a weapon, but you can combine that with the heavy aspergillum's cost and make it one.

Asbestos
2009-12-18, 07:20 PM
Wow, when I clicked on this thread I expected something totally ridiculous about this stuff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergillus) and totally forgot about this thing. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergillum)