PDA

View Full Version : Attacking from elephant back [3.x]

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-18, 04:35 PM
How to?

I know attacking from like a horse or other Large (long) is just like regular combat for rach and stuff.

But what are the rules for attacking from on top of an elephant or other huge/gargantuan/collosal creatures?

Thanks

AslanCross
2009-12-18, 06:53 PM
Here you go. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050222a)

Keep in mind that an elephant is strong enough to carry more than one Medium or Small-sized character. I've always liked the idea of a Huge war elephant carrying two skullcrusher ogres---one driving it and charging with a lance, and a "tail gunner" throwing rocks.

EDIT: My bad, it seems that two ogres cannot fit in the space of a Huge creature. As far as I can tell, this and "mount must be at least one size larger" seem to be the only limitations of what creatures can ride what.

ericgrau
2009-12-18, 08:15 PM
Seems like you need a 10 foot reach to hit the square next to you.

FoE
2009-12-18, 08:43 PM
Or a ranged weapon. I think that's traditionally how these things worked in RL.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-18, 08:46 PM
Or a ranged weapon. I think that's traditionally how these things worked in RL.I have an idea. A horrible, aweful, awesome idea.

Hulking Hurler. Throwing elephants at people. From atop an elephant.

KIDS
2009-12-18, 08:57 PM
I have an idea. A horrible, aweful, awesome idea.

Win!

But what if the elephants are also hulking hurlers? :)

Psychosis
2009-12-18, 08:57 PM
I have an idea. A horrible, aweful, awesome idea.

For god's sake, this!

gibbo88
2009-12-18, 09:11 PM
For the one size smaller issue, how does that work for having larger creatures? For example how many halflings can you fit on a warhorse? How many humans on the aforementioned elephant?

Grumman
2009-12-18, 09:25 PM
For the one size smaller issue, how does that work for having larger creatures? For example how many halflings can you fit on a warhorse? How many humans on the aforementioned elephant?
If you've got a proper howdah I'd say N^2, where N is the number of size categories between the two. So an elephant can carry one ogre, four humans or nine halflings.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-18, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys!

Now if the aforementioned Hulking Hurlers were throwing the elephants at dragons. Would their riders need reach weapons to hit said dragons?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-18, 11:33 PM
Thanks guys!

Now if the aforementioned Hulking Hurlers were throwing the elephants at dragons. Would their riders need reach weapons to hit said dragons?Not if their riders were Hulking Hurlers.