PDA

View Full Version : Skill points and +Int items/spells

Pigkappa
2009-12-18, 05:08 PM
Do items which grant a bonus to Intellect also grant you more skill points (when you gain a new level; of course you can't gain skill points retroactively) and bonus spells? This is probably a well known fact but I'm not sure about it :smallfrown:

Mongoose87
2009-12-18, 05:09 PM
They do not.

Pigkappa
2009-12-18, 05:09 PM
uhm, is it written down somewhere on the PH or DMG?

Ryumaru
2009-12-18, 05:10 PM
Nope, it should mention this in the Intelligence entry at the beginning, if I recall. Only permanent increases to Intelligence grant skill points, and ontop of that, it doesn't apply retroactively like Constitution. (So, a level 10 who gets his Intelligence from 17 (+3) to 18 (+4) gets +1 skill point for that level and from thereafter; he doesn't get skills for the other nine levels before the boost)

Douglas
2009-12-18, 05:13 PM
uhm, is it written down somewhere on the PH or DMG?
Yes, right there in the item description:
Headband of Intellect

This device is a light cord with a small gem set so that it rests upon the forehead of the wearer. The headband adds to the wearer’s Intelligence score in the form of an enhancement bonus of +2, +4, or +6. This enhancement bonus does not earn the wearer extra skill points when a new level is attained; use the unenhanced Intelligence bonus to determine skill points. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#headbandofIntellect)

Yzzyx
Quoth the SRD:

Headband of Intellect
This device is a light cord with a small gem set so that it rests upon the forehead of the wearer. The headband adds to the wearer’s Intelligence score in the form of an enhancement bonus of +2, +4, or +6. This enhancement bonus does not earn the wearer extra skill points when a new level is attained; use the unenhanced Intelligence bonus to determine skill points.

Moderate transmutation; CL 8th; Craft Wondrous Item, fox’s cunning; Price 4,000 gp (+2), 16,000 gp (+4), 36,000 gp (+6).

Fox’s Cunning
Transmutation
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes

The transmuted creature becomes smarter. The spell grants a +4 enhancement bonus to Intelligence, adding the usual benefits to Intelligence-based skill checks and other uses of the Intelligence modifier. Wizards (and other spellcasters who rely on Intelligence) affected by this spell do not gain any additional bonus spells for the increased Intelligence, but the save DCs for spells they cast while under this spell’s effect do increase. This spell doesn’t grant extra skill points.

Arcane Material Component
A few hairs, or a pinch of dung, from a fox.

I added the bolding.

EDIT: Why does that keep happening? The other person even provided a link! I'm such a loser. Well, at least I put them in those nice boxes and managed to work in the word 'quoth.' That's worth something, right? Right?!?

Grumman
The PHB and DMG mention this under the listings for Fox's Cunning and the Headband of Intellect.

Claudius Maximus
2009-12-18, 05:26 PM
Since the skill point thing has been thoroughly answered, I'll note that +Int items do give bonus spells. Fox's Cunning however, will not.

Douglas
2009-12-18, 05:32 PM
Since the skill point thing has been thoroughly answered, I'll note that +Int items do give bonus spells. Fox's Cunning however, will not.
Bonus spell slots, that is. Spells known are not usually affected by intelligence except for certain classes at level 1, and it's a bit hard for a character to be wearing a headband of intellect while being created at level 1.

herrhauptmann
2009-12-19, 01:52 AM

Same for eagles splendor and CHA based casters. I had figured for a preparation caster like wiz or cleric, they would need the spell active at the time of studying/prayer.
But it's the same for spontaneous casters, obviously a ruling to prevent abuse and runaway caster strength...
Gasp! A ruling was made that actually had the desired effect in class balance!

Draz74
2009-12-19, 02:42 AM
Well, at least I ... managed to work in the word 'quoth.' That's worth something, right? Right?!?

Definitely. Especially if you've read The Name of the Wind.

Emmerask
2009-12-19, 03:01 AM
Definitely. Especially if you've read The Name of the Wind.

nah that just reminds me that we still have to wait months till A wise mans fear is coming :smallannoyed:
atleast rides a dread legion was a good filler :smallbiggrin:

Pigkappa
2010-01-03, 10:01 AM
Just to be sure, do magic items work for Feats requirements? Can a 11-Int Barbarian who is wearing a +2 Headband gain the Expertise feat?

Yuki Akuma
2010-01-03, 10:02 AM

If you somehow get Fox's Cunning to last more than a day, it will - although they'll vanish as soon as the duration expires.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-03, 10:11 AM
Just to be sure, do magic items work for Feats requirements? Can a 11-Int Barbarian who is wearing a +2 Headband gain the Expertise feat?

Magic items can always be used to satisfy requirements.

Be aware that if you later lose the requirements, you lose access to the feat/PrC gained, though. So....he better not sell or lose that headband.

On a side note, MiC has rules for adding stat boosts to regular items. Thus, actually buying headbands is probably not ideal. Pick up another head piece with interesting abilities instead, and tack the enchantment bonus on to that.

Douglas
2010-01-03, 10:33 AM
If you somehow get Fox's Cunning to last more than a day, it will - although they'll vanish as soon as the duration expires.
No, it won't. Fox's Cunning specifically says that it doesn't give bonus spell slots for int-based casters, so duration is irrelevant. If you use some other buff instead, like Chasing Perfection (PHBII), getting the duration high enough would get you extra spell slots.

Yuki Akuma
2010-01-03, 11:00 AM
No, it won't. Fox's Cunning specifically says that it doesn't give bonus spell slots for int-based casters, so duration is irrelevant. If you use some other buff instead, like Chasing Perfection (PHBII), getting the duration high enough would get you extra spell slots.

Darn spells and their specific restrictions.

Okay, any other spell that grants an Int bonus would grant bonus spell slots. Just not that one for some reason.

Saph
2010-01-03, 11:07 AM
Interestingly, however, +Int items in Pathfinder do give you an extra maxed skill per point of bonus after wearing them for 24 hours.

Pigkappa
2010-01-03, 11:32 AM
and tack the enchantment bonus on to that.

Mmh, how much does it cost compared with a common HB of Intellect, and what feats does it require?

Tyndmyr
2010-01-03, 11:34 AM
Mmh, how much does it cost compared with a common HB of Intellect, and what feats does it require?

1. About the same.

2. None.

Douglas
2010-01-03, 11:51 AM
2. None.
Only if you ignore Craft Wondrous Item.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-03, 12:04 PM
Only if you ignore Craft Wondrous Item.

Oh, for the crafter, yes. For the wearer, no.

And crafter would need Craft Wondrous Item anyway, if he's making a headband, so it's a moot point.