PDA

View Full Version : Tales you have to tell about teaching new players?

Gamerlord
2009-12-18, 05:24 PM
Well, I have one, I just had the D&D session for the week, and a friend of mine came over while the session was on, and he wanted to try it out, a player who was playing multiple characters offered to let him try one, he started playing a Tiefling fighter (This is 4e), so, I gave them a quest to hunt down a dangerous Sadar-Kai bandit, after a short battle, he offers them a treasure map (Which really leads to a completely empty ruin, save one VERY angry construct, but they don't know that yet :smallbiggrin: )and 50 GPs, in exchange for his saftey, they accept, for reasons I cannot comprehend. Afterward, they go back to town, and the mayor asks them if they have slain the bandit yet, chaos breaks out as this happens:

Me(as mayor) : Wait, where is his head?
New guy(As fighter): Uhhh....well......
Invoker: He is dead! We just.....forgot the head!
Me(OOC) : Roll bluff
Invoker(OOC): *Roll* oh-no, 3.
Me:(as mayor): You lie! What happened to him?
Cleric: He ran off!
Me(OOC) : Roll bluff
Cleric(OOC): *roll* ARGH! 5!
Me(mayor): You lie! guards!
New guy(As fighter): They let him get away!
Ranger: He is lying! He made the deal!
New guy: She did!
Ranger: He did!
(Repeat last two sentences x100)
Mayor: THAT IS ENOUGH!
Mayor: You! What did you see?
Avenger: They made the deal! They both are lying!
Fighter and rest of party: NO! SHE DID!
Avenger(OOC): It is only fair, you didn't even let me get a say in the matter!
Mayor: Enough! Guards, place them all in jail until they stand trial for assisting a criminal!

So, you have any tales to tell about teaching new players?

jmbrown
2009-12-18, 06:10 PM
First thing my players learn when I'm DM'ing: never give the DM ideas.

*PCs are crossing a scenic stone bridge across a serene river*
Player 1: I wonder if any bridge trolls live around here.
Player 2 jokingly: We should've brought three rams.
Me: As you approach the bridge, a scrag leaps out from his hiding hole and stops you.
Scrag: Who dares cross my bridge without offering a tribute t--
Players: We can take him. CHAAARGE!

The battle ended with half the party dead. This was an 2nd edition game so not every battle is balanced against a magical number and it's generally easier to escape from monsters. Buuuut, golden rule of playing #3 is to never retreat.

Never.

Gamerlord
2009-12-18, 08:04 PM
First thing my players learn when I'm DM'ing: never give the DM ideas.

*PCs are crossing a scenic stone bridge across a serene river*
Player 1: I wonder if any bridge trolls live around here.
Player 2 jokingly: We should've brought three rams.
Me: As you approach the bridge, a scrag leaps out from his hiding hole and stops you.
Scrag: Who dares cross my bridge without offering a tribute t--
Players: We can take him. CHAAARGE!

The battle ended with half the party dead. This was an 2nd edition game so not every battle is balanced against a magical number and it's generally easier to escape from monsters. Buuuut, golden rule of playing #3 is to never retreat.

Never.

With my players, the three rules they themselves made are:
#1: If you don't know whats ahead, or if you want see see if that monster is hungry, push the bard in.
#2:Everything dies.
#3: For everything else, RUN!

Yeah, they aren't the brightest bunch, and bards have the highest fatality rate in our campaigns, mostly because they see them as expendable, for reasons unknown.

Saintjebus
2009-12-18, 08:14 PM
I had a character give me ideas once. He failed a survival check pretty badly when they were in flatlands. The conversation went this way:

Me(DM)- You fail. You're lost. you have no idea where you are.
Ranger-What is the weather doing?
Me-It's cold, but clear.
Ranger-Id've thought it would at least be a snowstorm or something, since I failed so badly.
Me-Ok, it's a blizzard. Everyone make Endurance checks.

gibbo88
2009-12-18, 09:15 PM
We have a player that seems intent on getting negatives from the DM where roleplaying would suffice. The most recent example of this is in Tomb of Horrors where she got a PC slaughtered by a trap she thought she had disarmed...so she asked if she had a negative from this for the next time she tried to disable a trap...cause we needed to make it easier to die in Tomb of Horrors...:smallfurious:

Needless to say we saw it coming halfway through and the rest of us started talking very loudly over the top of her.