PDA

View Full Version : T-280 SCV [Starcraft Adventure Game]

Ponce
2009-12-18, 11:59 PM
T-280 SCV
A Starcraft Adventure Game

( Note: No registration required! Join in! )
( How to Play: Information Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135507) )

Introduction

You don't remember your name. Not since you were inducted into an experimental branch of the already obfuscated Confederate Ghost training program. You scarcely remember the procedures, the conditioning, the rehabilitation. You can't even remember if you volunteered. All you know is that it didn't quite work out as they had hoped. Your promising psionic talent had been reduced to a pathetic, trembling blip on what was otherwise an unremarkable human mind. So, they gave you a severance package, a simple job as a construction grunt; a T-280 operator. That's how you came to be dumped on this unnamed fringe world prospecting colony. A fitting home, really, for a nobody like yourself.

You still have some vestiges of your old talents, though. A weak empathy that lets you sense the intentions of others, particularly if they are strong-willed or, as is usually the case in these parts, hot-tempered. And this isn't some voodoo hotline nonsense either, you're the real deal. Of course, back before the Program you seem to recall being able to read people like books, but that was then.

Life went on in the quaint little backwater colony. It was sometime later that they started appearing on the news. The Zerg, that is. It wasn't long before they started cropping up around here, either. But hey, you're just an SCV technician. Nobody expects you to fight, and after being flagged as "damaged" following your time in the Program, they sure as hell aren't going to give you a gun, either.

They nested here, the Zerg. Someplace just past the experimental biofields (that's fancy core-worlder-talk for "wheat field"). It didn't scare you. Hell, you've seen scarier things. At least, you think you might have. It was business as usual, until the Protoss fleet arrived.

You'd heard of them. Burning infested worlds, wiping everything out. You were in transit at the time, a few kilometers out from the outpost. Standard procedure would have been to signal them, wait for a response. You never saw the ships, not even on a radar - you were out in the middle of no where at the time. But you could feel them. The hostile intentions of a few thousand aliens, all bearing down on your little world. You'd just come out of a storage bunker. It was way out of the way, in case of a radiation leak at home base - an emergency stock pile. You ran on instinct when you felt their presence, their aggression. You remembered the news reports, the recent infestation, and it hit you like an anvil from the sky.

You spun your modified T-280 around and rode it right on back into the tight little fortified bunker, clamping the door shut behind you, using the SCV's gripper. Moments later, all hell broke loose outside. You felt your reinforced shelter be lifted off the ground and hurtled about like a rag doll. You heard the concussions, you could feel feel the ambient heat as the world outside was scorched mercilessly.

Some hours later, you come around, still in the cockpit of your SCV. You play the controls, maneuvering the SCV back to the door, and after a deep breath, swinging it open. The world outside is toasted, great black plumes rise everywhere, and embers still glow. The radiation indicator light on the cockpit display flares up bright red. The SCV will shield you from the deadly particles, and an internal system will even sterilize you and the cockpit, but venture outside for more than five minutes or so, and you'll regret it.

Suddenly, survival is the new objective, and maybe getting off this toasty little hell-hole while you're at it.

Your T-280 Space Construction Vehicle is the only thing keeping you alive right now. Best remember all you can about it. Its left arm is fitted with a standard fusion cutter. The right arm has a mounted utility multitool. It can weld, grasp, solder, and clean. What's more, is that your T-280 has been retrofitted with an extend-able right arm, meaning that your multitool can reach tight places, and even twist around to conduct repairs and modifications on your own SCV. Each arm is rated for up to one tonne of weight, and the rig as a whole can carry about four tonnes before suffering major mobility problems. It gets around by means of a back-mounted hoverpack. All the components together run on around 10 Jengs (the official Confederate energy unit) and the battery pack is rated for up to 14J. The system will be able to run with its current components for about one week before the batteries will need fresh juice.

Game Phase 1

You are a little hungry.

Judging by the devastation around you, you can't be certain that anything else on the planet survived.

To the west are the experimental biofields. The Zerg nests were reported to be somewhere to the north and to the north-west. To the north-east is an extensive plateau system. Atop one of the plateaus is the outpost's landing strip and starport. To the south-east lies the outpost itself.

alexeduardo
2009-12-19, 12:22 AM
Leave. Go west.

((hey, we've got to start moving, right?))
((or maybe...))

Inspect the Bunker.

imp_fireball
2009-12-19, 01:34 AM
Reach out with mind (are you there god?) and then head south east.

Strawman
2009-12-19, 08:20 AM
I also say search the bunker. It's for emergencies, so I imagine it must have some rations if nothing else. In fact;

Final Vote: Search the emergency bunker. [roll0]

Ponce
2009-12-19, 10:57 AM
You stretch your mind out, reaching for the almighty. He must be busy, though, because he doesn't respond.

Using the multi-tool's gripper, you're able to sift through the various contents of the emergency bunker. They've all been thrown onto the ground, some were crushed by the weight of your T-280. There's about two week's worth of food in here. There are also a few power cells compatible with your T-280, but they seem to be past their expiration date, and look a bit rusty besides. Hard to tell if they'd provide power or fry half the circuits.

You are a little hungry. Your SCV has one week's worth of power.

To the west are the experimental biofields. The Zerg nests were reported to be somewhere to the north and to the north-west. To the north-east is an extensive plateau system. Atop one of the plateaus is the outpost's landing strip and starport. To the south-east lies the outpost itself.

Strawman
2009-12-19, 01:43 PM
Munch on some food and then... look for survivors? Heading to the southeast sounds good.

imp_fireball
2009-12-19, 04:43 PM
(There is no god!!! :smalleek:)

Get out of SCV and haul food into it if that isn't already assumed. Then close the door to make sure you don't die of exposure. Then breath. Then heart beat. Important things to remember!

Final Vote: Head south east after that.

BavetteOfAgony
2009-12-19, 05:19 PM
[As a fan of all things SC I think I should try a shot.]

After collecting the food supplies and expired power cells (might be handy, who knows), open the communication channel and send a S.O.S. message to the general direction of the starport, since leaving this toasted barren planet is not a bad idea. While at it, why not to head southeast and search for spare-parts and survivors at the outpost, right?

Final Vote: Head south east while sending a distress message in all Terran's communication channels right after gathering all needed supplies. [roll0]

Ponce
2009-12-19, 05:40 PM
You leave the safety of the cockpit for a few minutes, quickly gathering up the nourishing supplies and power cells, and bringing them back into your T-280. As the cockpit door closes with a pressurizing hiss, you feel the A-RAD system engage, decontaminating you, your spoils, and the rest of the cockpit interior of the deadly radiation. It is a snug fit, but you manage, and even have a snack for the road.

You pilot your SCV out of the emergency bunker and make your way across the bleak landscape. The devastation is quite a sight to behold. Most people would respond with a mix of fear, rage, and depression.

You transmit a general distress signal to the starport once outside. Your T-280 is equipped only with a basic radio transceiver, however, so you can't be certain if the message arrived, or if there was anyone to receive it. Either way, you don't receive a reply.

It takes two hours, but soon the outpost comes into view. It is total devastation, as far as you can see. All of the temporary structures have been smashed and destroyed, and only the fortified armoury and command centre seem to have survived the onslaught, as well as the lookout towers and the perimeter wall. The rest is rubble and scrap. The compound is square, with a lookout tower at each corner. You can't make out any movement or survivors as you make your approach. Other points of interest spring to mind, though none seem to have survived. These include the medical bay, repair bay, and radio station. There are numerous personnel habitats that did not survive.

You are satiated. Your SCV has one week's worth of power.

To the north is the plateau system, atop which is the starport. The biofields are north-west-west of here. The emergency bunker is north west, and the zerg nests are far north-west.
The command centre is at the far end of the outpost. The armoury is just past the main gate, on the left. The medical bay, repair bay, and radio station are past the main gate, on the right.

Strawman
2009-12-19, 11:21 PM
Distress signals may be dangerous if more wiping the planet clean is planned. But they could also lead to survivors and help. Tough call.

How about a closer look at the remains of the medical bay, repair bay, and radio station. And then into the armoury.

imp_fireball
2009-12-19, 11:36 PM
Head to command center. That's my vote.

BavetteOfAgony
2009-12-20, 12:47 AM
With Zerg nearby its hard to think of a worse enemy to face. And even an enemy could be an ally at distressful times, given the right amount of thought to the matter.

I vote for Armory first. There is no telling of what is inside the other areas, and it would be useful to be prepared to said situations. Also; best place to find useful help, of a Marine for example.

[will let someone else do the final voting. This call for more opinions.]

Ponce
2009-12-20, 11:01 AM
The main strip of the compound is strewn with a few bodies. Blackened skeletons, they were probably vapourized instantly.

A quick scan of the various ruined buildings as you pass yields little of interest. It looks like a heavy time investment to sift through the rubble properly. You do, however, think you see a gleaming med-pack mixed in among remains of the medical bay.

When you arrive outside the armoury, you find the massive main doors were left open. Most of the weapons and equipment have been shaken off the walls, except for the most securely fastened devices. Much of it looks scorched and melted - quite possibly useless. There are a few bodies here as well, all severely burned, but not totally incinerated like those outside.

Most interestingly, you notice the broken husk of the compound's Goliath walker, proudly stationed in the middle of the large, open interior of the armoury. The docking clamps appear to have melted and fused directly to the frame of the walker, and otherwise looks inoperable. The cockpit was smashed by a large metal beam that fell from the ceiling. Its armaments also seem to be missing.

To the north is the plateau system, atop which is the starport. The biofields are north-west-west of here. The emergency bunker is north west, and the zerg nests are far north-west.
The command centre is at the far end of the outpost. The medical bay, repair bay, and radio station are across the main vehicle lane.

Strawman
2009-12-20, 01:10 PM
To the command center then? And we should probably remember the goliath, in case there's some way to repair it later. Oh, and pick up the medpack if that wasn't already done.

Lifeson
2009-12-20, 02:26 PM
I say we take pieces of the Goliath's armor and attach it to the SCV. Right now, all we have is a flimsy little cutter beam for defense, and if we get attacked by anymore than a couple zerglings, the SCV is toast.

Then we can head for the command center.

Strawman
2009-12-20, 11:31 PM
Oh! Is there any way to turn the faulty looking power cells into grenades? I bet if we just set fire to them in an emergency they could blow up. Not useful now, but another good thing to remember.

And if the goliath armor idea is doable, that sounds good.

imp_fireball
2009-12-21, 01:12 AM
I vote to extract goliath armor.

Then head for CC.

Ponce
2009-12-21, 10:57 AM
You grab the med-pack, and then set about the grizzly task of harvesting the goliath for its protective shell. Your T-280's fusion cutter springs to life, but it is slow work getting through the reinforced plating.

As you work, you contemplate the idea of turning the power cells into some manner of explosive. A proper grenade might be difficult, but you're certain you could rig them to overload and detonate. You just can't be certain of the timing of the explosion, which might prove dangerous.

As the last of your prospective battle armour falls from the now-skeletal form of the goliath, and you are about to begin grafting it to the T-280, you feel something in the back of your mind. A cold, defensive presence. It is extremely close. You're certain it is observing you, and you feel its hostility rising with your continued presence. Whatever it is, it seems to consider the outpost its personal domain. You have trouble gauging its level of intelligence.

The command centre is at the far end of the outpost. The medical bay, repair bay, and radio station are across the main vehicle lane.

Strawman
2009-12-21, 12:58 PM
Grafting the armor might leave the SCV defencless for a short period of time. Maybe it'd be best to go to one of the watchtowers and look for any lifeforms in the outpost, feeling out with our mind along the way. We could carry the armor along the way, and drop it should something happen. If we get to the watchtower alright, then we could graft the armor on there.

imp_fireball
2009-12-21, 07:31 PM
Vote: Pick up the armor plates, and run like hell to the command center.

Think of something really bad ass (like, Rambo, Chuck Norris or Patrick Swayze) in hopes that it'll scare off the evil psychic guy.

Command center is also bigger and I don't think an SCV was meant to fit inside a watch tower... also watch towers are very primitive and probably terrible for defense. If anything the command center might have a planetary fortress mode available, not to mention it can float. :smallwink:

Other things to note: Command Center might even have gear for assembling SCVs. Modding an SCV shouldn't be much different.

DnDrake
2009-12-22, 05:59 AM
[i guess i'll take a shot here too. Messa likes starcraft :p]

I say command center. it's the better armored building and it is bound to have some assembling pieces to mod our SCV.

I don't agree on trying to scare this presence. I would vote for trying to lay low as we try to build ourselves up.

Strawman
2009-12-22, 07:36 AM
I like the points made for the command center. Changing my vote to that as well.

Ponce
2009-12-22, 01:08 PM
You managed to pile the makeshift armour onto the cute breastplate you cut from the front of the goliath. Using the multi-tool's gripper, you drag the lot of it behind you as you make your way to the command centre. The T-280 isn't really equipped to carry many loose objects at once, and the armour won't fit in the cockpit like the rest of your spoils.

It is slow going, and the armour drags heavily behind you. You are halfway to the far side of the outpost when a slight shimmering appears in the air in front of you. It wanes, and eventually a humanoid form appears from thin air. You recognize it immediately as a Ghost, its rifle trained directly at you. Your stalker has made himself known.

"Get... get out of that." He motions to the side of the road, where he seems to want you to stand. His voice is a bit strained, you aren't certain how much protection his suit is offering him from the irradiated environment. His mindset is direct, locked on survival. By this, and his actions, you suspect that he's after whatever goodies you might have stowed away in the cockpit of the SCV. Judging by the ruined state of the mess hall, that's no wonder. What you do find surprising is that he is even alive.

Probing his mind, he is otherwise aggressive and hostile, even a bit delirious. He doesn't seem aware of your own intentions in that sense, which you also find unusual, for a Ghost.

You are not hungry. Your SCV has one week's worth of power.

The command centre is further down the main strip. The armoury, medical bay, repair bay, and radio station are further back.

(As an aside, if you ever need anything clarified or need additional information before formulating a plan, feel free to ask.)

imp_fireball
2009-12-22, 03:14 PM
Drop armor, get to command center full speed ahead!

Try to think in a way that Rambo would... maybe the ghost will think twice when he believes you are Rambo?

Once you get into the command center, shut the doors and activate planetary fortress mode. :smallcool:

I'm riding on the fact that the ghost hasn't researched lock down.

Strawman
2009-12-22, 05:13 PM
I've played enough SC to know that charging a ghost with an SCV won't end well. But they are pretty bad at chasing.
I agree with IMP. Full run to command center.

EDIT: On second thought, I vote to get out of the SCV and offer the medpac to him. However many shots he gots off may be too many.

BavetteOfAgony
2009-12-22, 06:47 PM
Oh yeah. Good idea, show your head to the desperate guy with a freaking rifle that deals 20 damage, the same damage as a wraith missile!
If he could, that guy would gladly put a bullet trough your head and steal the SCV. He needs you to get out to not damage it or else he will die of radiation poisoning.

My guess. Retreat and re-arrange. You were a military unit, damn it, running is for Zerg rushers. Cover your front with the Goliath carapace, using it as a shield, while you retreat and think of a way to deal with the ghost. A direct shot would pierce trough an SCV armor as paper, but not a Goliath armor. If we could close at melee quarters (or almost), the multi-tool's gripper could extend and disarm or damage the ghost, the radiation could deal the bigger hit, anyway. The T-280's fusion cutter is not an option now, it would be unwise to use it against a Ghost.

My vote is; Retreat and Cover to Deal with The Hostile Enemy.

DnDrake
2009-12-23, 05:54 AM
i aggree with bavette. The guy is insane, he might shot us in the head and take all we've got. the idea of using the goliaths armor as a shield and trying to disarm him seems nice. or maybe....use our homemade (or SCV made) granades on him.

i say go with bavette

Ponce
2009-12-23, 02:54 PM
You lift up the makeshift breastplate, holding it in front of you like some kind of primitive riot shield. The other pieces of armour spill out onto the ground as you slide the plate out from under them. The T-280's gripper is clamped firmly on the plate.

You reverse away from the Ghost, and you feel his mind instantly flood with frustration. With a growl, he begins to circle around you, rifle raised. He is very light on his feet.

The command centre is further down the main strip. The armoury, medical bay, repair bay, and radio station are further back.

Strawman
2009-12-23, 04:13 PM
Is there any form of cover nearby?

Ponce
2009-12-23, 11:17 PM
There are ruined buildings on either side of you.

BavetteOfAgony
2009-12-27, 04:14 PM
[Don't let the magic die, people! :smallfrown:]

If we can manage to enter the ruined buildings we will, actually, get in a serious disadvantage. The ghost will probably hunt us down patiently and strike when we misstep. Our best chance is, still, to close on melee.

I, also, say we try to awaken some kind of psionic wave to disrupt his aim, or anything really. Desperate times, yada yada. But only to give us enough time to maneuver the goliath armor's lead in his frail head.

Vote: Try to close in, not suspiciously, and divert his attention. *Maybe manage to disrupt his concentration to allow a breach.

*If we can. If not, defensive stance.

smuchmuch
2009-12-27, 04:36 PM
Yeah. Good idea, show your head to the desperate guy with a freaking rifle that deals 20 damage, the same damage as a wraith missile!

this is a starcraft inspired game not starcraft itself, so I'm pretty sure we should be reasoning in term of starcraft lore, not in term of unit stats.

SCV are supposed to be able to protect the worker inside ,from extreme conditions so I assume they are pretty heavily armored. On the other hand the standart issue canister rifle is a pretty badass weapon if I remember well, kind of the equivalent of a modern anti armor sniper. Plus even if we manage to avoid/take the shot the guy is much more agile, so he'll easily avoid any blow from our heavy and slow SC.

*If we can. If not, defensive stance.
I doubt a SCV would be agile enough to allow us to dodge a shot especialy at such a short distance.

SO i guess our best bet is to put as much energy as we can in our psionioc assault in an atempt to stagger/stun him in one shot

BavetteOfAgony
2009-12-27, 04:50 PM
I doubt a SCV would be agile enough to allow us to dodge a shot especialy at such a short distance.

SO i guess our best bet is to put as much energy as we can in our psionioc assault in an attempt to stagger/stun him in one shot

You forgot that if the ghost damages the SCV he will be back to stance 0. He doesn't need to kill us, just a place to escape the radiation. Our life has no meaning to this match, the match is to hold control of the SCV. He will not shoot us, but precaution is all we got.

Also, we can't seem to be able to use our psionic abilities. Better to settle with what we got. If he missteps we can hold and disarm him. He poses no treat disarmed and we can even give him a ride if we feel generous enough.

smuchmuch
2009-12-27, 05:00 PM
I thought what he wanted was the rations we had inside the SCV , not the SCV itself.
And even if he was interested in the machine, all he need to do is to shoot in the SCV cockpit at the general position were the pilot would be and if he has an armor percieng weapon he could kill us with a fair chance not to damage the scv itself too much. I doubt he's too worried about the radiation since by now he has already be massively exposed anyway.

In the circumstances, I guess your plan is the best one, but I'd feel safer if we could find somme extra assurance.
So if it look we can't disarm him without too much damag peacefully, I say, let's ,let just bash his head (an Scv arm must make a pretty heavy weapon) for safety sake.

BavetteOfAgony
2009-12-27, 05:02 PM
Same here, same here...
We are in a short head-lock here...

Strawman
2009-12-27, 05:19 PM
So, shield with goliath plate, close in to attack, and try to reactivate some psionic goodness? Sounds as good as any other option.

DnDrake
2009-12-28, 05:54 AM
Yeap that seems like a nice option. And he sure wont destroy the SCV cuz he kinda needs it.

Ponce
2009-12-28, 06:43 PM
You summon up whatever mental potency you can, directing it at the already shaken special agent. At the same time, you press the SCV forward. You aren't certain if the former action had any effect, or if you were just lucky, but the only shot the panicked Ghost managed to fire flies wayward. You feel it bounce harmlessly off your makeshift plate.

You swing the fusion cutter on the SCV's other arm. It fires up, still warm from the chop job you did on the goliath. It whirls around, plowing itself into the man's face. There is a sound similar to that of a stone being dragged across glass or crystal, and the hiss of metal under a heat it can't tolerate. The industry-grade cutter slices through the thin helmet easily, cutting down to the flesh beneath with a satisfying, "Squelch!"

He screams through his radio unit. You can feel pain and terror billowing up inside in his mind. He begins to react instinctively, turning invisible once more and batting away the fusion cutter with his rifle. You can't see him flee, but you hear his heavy footfalls as he tears off, darting in and among the ruins. He is definitely light of foot, but his flight has none of the stealth of his confrontation.

Strawman
2009-12-28, 07:26 PM
Let him run. He won't last much longer with a broken suit, and he's no immediate threat. I think we should continue dragging the goliath armor to the command center as before.

smuchmuch
2009-12-29, 01:30 AM
cutting down to the flesh beneath with a satisfying, "Squelch!"
At this point we realize we're a pretty sadistic crazy bastard ourselve and search for a therapist before realising they were probably all incinerated with the rest of the colony. Damn.

Let him run. He won't last much longer with a broken suit, and he's no immediate threat. I think we should continue dragging the goliath armor to the command center as before..

Lets just hope he doesn't get the bright idea to hunt us back down there. He'll probably start getting deseperate and he might try to get another shot at us .

After what we did to him, I'm pretty sure peacefull negotiations are out of the question (unless we get really lucky),, so we'll have to deal with him for good at somme point.

BavetteOfAgony
2009-12-29, 01:50 AM
You guys are sadistic, not our [charname]...
Besides, satisfying can mean "You acomplished it without problems".

I for one am very much reasonable. He pointed a gun at [charname], he got it coming. But I am not happy to deliver a good Terran friend at the hands of the Zerg nor to die alone. The goliath armor, our supplies, it is all resources, and for crying out loud, we are SCV! Resource is our business!
What I mean is; That guy is in need. Of food, radiation cleaning and some stitches; resources. We got it. I say we deliver it.

My vote is: Save the jac***s ghost and parlay with him. If he really wants to leave this Terran forgotten tomb alive he got to respect the peeps...
Besides, we are all Terran. Who would help us? Portooss? All we got is each other...

DnDrake
2009-12-29, 03:29 AM
I can go with the idea of saving the guy, but he's on the fly, he's much quicker than us and in this piece of junk we wont catch him. I say go for the command center and try and upgrade our SCV's armor like the previous plan.

Also we're not an SCV, we are a former Ghost so...

smuchmuch
2009-12-29, 03:37 AM
You guys are sadistic, not our [charname]...
Well he is an reject from a program destined to train remorsless assassin, even if they didn't break him completly, I doubt he's captain Sanity.
(Plus there are those voices in his head who are debating what his next course of action should be. I don't call that sane.:smallbiggrin:)

And for the reccords when I said,attacking with the SCV arm, I meant with the flat part, not the fusion cutter, I'd thought we knocked out the guy to negociate with him from a position of force, not cut his face off. Then again, it's a miracle it worked at all, so I'm not going to complain

Besides, satisfying can mean "You acomplished it without problems".
I Didn't knew that. Thanks.

we are SCV! Resource is our business!

We are not just "a SCV", we are a survivor piloting a SCV, big difference, and our curent buisness is not to derliver resources, it is to survive. And surviving works better by avoiding people who have already shown irrational agressive behaviour.

If the guy comme back peacefully, fine let's help him. And if you reaaally want to be nice and play boy scout, we can try leaving somme supplies somewhere in the open as a peace offering (assuming we have enough to spare) and a message, but I don't recommend seeking him openly out to parlay. I doubt he'll be in the mood for it right now, and he still has his gun, so he's dangerous.

imp_fireball
2009-12-29, 03:43 AM
Vote: Try to close in, not suspiciously, and divert his attention. *Maybe manage to disrupt his concentration to allow a breach.

I'm pretty sure ghosts are telepathic. Unless you're talking double think, in which case he probably knows how to counter any double think techniques we employ.

Ghost face goes burn.

So now what? Head for command center. Reach out with mind to make sure ghost isn't hiding inside.

If it's completely safe, store the goliath somewhere safe inside and then head outside for more of the armor (if there's more). Bring it back inside CC. Breathe. Heart beat. Brain rythm. Medula oblongata.

Also we're not an SCV, we are a former Ghost so...

Not every psychic terran is a ghost. Ghost are just the psychic assassins that have happened to be trained in the ghost program and made it all the way through. It's canon.

Then again, it's a miracle it worked at all, so I'm not going to complain

Could be that the OP is going by the assumption that an SCV is powered armor that reacts in a good fashion to owner's directions (dexterity of machine is close to that of pilot), so the arms are pretty fast if used skillfully. :smalltongue:

Ponce
2009-12-29, 03:55 PM
Wounded, panicked, invisible and flighty, you decide that the Ghost isn't worth your time any longer. You gather up your harvested goliath bits and drag them the rest of the way to the command center. There are quite a few dead here, their bodies mostly intact, they probably faced a slow, irradiated death. Truly a horrific way to die. You move your battle plating to a relatively corpse-free zone as you contemplate your next move.

There are several areas to the command center, including military offices, archives, data centers, and the SCV zone. Only the last of which will your T-280 be able to access, due to its bulk. That is, given the current size of the doorways.

The armoury, medical bay, repair bay, and radio station are further back.

Strawman
2009-12-29, 08:58 PM
I say we attach the armor, and then check out the SCV zone.

imp_fireball
2009-12-29, 10:23 PM
I say we attach the armor, and then check out the SCV zone.

Use the SCV zone to attach the armor. The zone is probably for constructing SCVs after all.

After that, gather up the corpses. They'll be useful as zerg bait later on (assuming zerg feast on flesh; I'm pretty sure they do, since a hydralisk swallowed a man in the comics).

psilontech
2009-12-30, 02:21 AM
If possible, close/lock door entered behind us.

Proceed to SCV Zone and attach armor after the possibility of locking down SCV Zone (Assuming, of course, that you can unlock down the area...)

BavetteOfAgony
2009-12-30, 02:29 AM
You guys are not seeing the all of it. If we attach the armor here, with few equipment we have, it will be as good as a improvisation.

I, for one, want it Perfectly done not some kind of scrappy thing, if I can help it. Now, the most important thing is to assure our safe way outside of this rock.

I vote for: Grab the plates of armor (as before), head for the the SCV zone, try to contact the starport. Give, also, a full scan on the Command Center functional systems and operating areas, if we can lift this thing, we should try it.*
[If we can, we should also search for life-forms with our Psionic sensibility. AND try and download the archives and data information. It will be valuable to whoever is operating this accursed system.*]

*That ghost would come in hand now.

Strawman
2009-12-30, 03:42 AM
I don't know how perfectly the armor application could really be done. It's a strange thing to begin with, like using a kite shield as a buckler.

DnDrake
2009-12-30, 04:17 AM
Yeah i think we should scan the area for lifeforms, then lock ourselves in, go to the SCV area and upgrade our SCV as best as we can.

Ponce
2009-12-30, 04:50 PM
The power in the compound seems to be out, but you manage to shut the heavy front doors by way of a manual winch. You gather up your load and drag it toward the main SCV hangar. Numerous T-280s are here, in various stages of construction. The rest were likely abroad during the time of the attack, and probably were not as fortunate as your own.

You spend some time trying to power up the various machinery here, but the main power grid seems to be down completely. You do, however, find a wayward power pack that seems to have survive relatively intact. It is fully charged, and should provide another week of power when swapped in for the pack you are currently using.

Not being an expert on power systems, you aren't certain where the command center's reactor is, or how to fix it. Never the less, you decide to go about grafting the goliath bits to your trusty T-280. It takes a few hours of work, but the work goes well. Many of the SCV's joints are still vulnerable, but you easily achieve 80% coverage. The status screen tells you that you are using half of your four-tonne weight allowance. The additional weight will cause you to chew through your power reserves more quickly, especially if you do a lot of traveling.

Just as you are finishing, you begin to sense what you assume to be the Ghost once again. He is likely still on the compound, but he is highly defensive now. He has the mentality of a wounded animal. Your awareness of him is suddenly dampened, however, as a new consciousness makes itself known. It is much more potent than either your or the Ghost, and you have trouble gauging its attitude. It is highly complex and completely alien. You have never felt anyone quite like this, it is both awing and quite a bit frightening. You feel it pulsating, calling to you from the south-east.

You are a bit hungry. Your SCV has one week's worth of power.

imp_fireball
2009-12-30, 11:39 PM
The alien is probably a protoss. Ask it to come to you, if it can. Let it know that you're currently preoccupied and that there's some mad dude trying to rob people (more for its own safety, not yours; don't forget to mention you locked yourself in the CC... on second thought maybe you could float the CC over to the south east? Some interracial diplomacy is to be had!).

In addition to all of what has been said in the above posts, search the SCV area for additional tools that might come in handy. Perhaps chemical boosters for the engine? Something that will increase thruster power so that you move faster with your added bulk? A larger, more compressed fuel tank, or (if the SCV runs on pure electricity; a possibility considering it costs no vespene in-game) a more efficient, higher voltage recharger (or whatever)?

Also, see about the condition of the CC and what can be done to restore power. Lots of searching to do. Some manuals on reactor safety would help too. :smalltongue:

smuchmuch
2009-12-31, 07:04 PM
The alien is probably a protoss. Ask it to come to you, if it can. Let it know that you're currently preoccupied and that there's some mad dude trying to rob people (more for its own safety, not yours; don't forget to mention you locked yourself in the CC... on second thought maybe you could float the CC over to the south east? Some interracial diplomacy is to be had!).

While I agree it'sd probably a protoss, our character has himself no way to know that.
Don't forget this take place at the very start of Starcraft. At this point the only thing terran know about them is that ahy have a huge fleet wich they use to incinerate terran worlds without a semblance of explanation. So even if he identifies correctly what it is, our character has no reason to attract his attention, quite the contrary, he would be terribly warry.

Also ion a OOc note, let's not forget that if there's a toss, He is very probably part off the expeditionary corp send to purge the zerg infection. He may choose to eliminate us just to make sure we're not infected.

(more for its own safety, not yours; don't forget to mention you locked yourself in the CC... on second thought maybe you could float the CC over to the south east? Some interracial diplomacy is to be had!).

There's no main power so I doubt we can lift or lock anything. And fixing the mùain power would take ages, I doubt we have that kind of time

imp_fireball
2010-01-01, 09:35 PM
our character has himself no way to know that.

We're the ones weaving the character's personality... the character (at least, how I make him) is a savvy guy that tends to assume things. :smallwink:

only thing terran know about them is that ahy have a huge fleet wich they use to incinerate terran worlds without a semblance of explanation.

So they're very scary aliens with untold power who're probably gods. Doesn't really change the definition of a protoss, even in canon later on. :smallcool:

So even if he identifies correctly what it is, our character has no reason to attract his attention, quite the contrary, he would be terribly weary.

Perhaps our character is a very logical guy who expresses interest in the search for intelligent life. His theory is that: If the protoss incinerate worlds, then they probably have no intention of coming down after wards. Thus, if a protoss is coming down now, while very odd, it probably has no immediately hostile intentions. :smallbiggrin:

An incineration is just that - incinerate a world so that you kill everything. No point wasting time or money sending troops down to search for survivors. It's a risk our guy is willing to take. Also he ain't captain sanity, so he's a bit reckless.

This of course doesn't change the fact that most terrans (resocialized or otherwise) would shoot a protoss on sight out of fear.

OOc note, let's not forget that if there's a toss, He is very probably part off the expeditionary corp send to purge the zerg infection. He may choose to eliminate us just to make sure we're not infected.

Seems unlikely since they haven't done that in canon (except that one time that didn't actually involve any 'purging' at all).

Then again, who knows.

But if it's 'calling to us' then it may already know we are here. Protoss are powerful telepaths, each of varying degrees. We are already screwed if that's its intention. May as well welcome it with open arms.

And fixing the mùain power would take ages, I doubt we have that kind of time

We could at least figure how and then gradually work at it (going on adventures and then coming back every so often). Worst case scenario: We'd probably have to build a new generator from scratch which is do-able if we have a forge and all (and if we have a forge (and I'm talking the factory class forges that allow all sorts of metal shapes, perforations, etc., and then sci-fi ones that allow the creation of neo-steel), we can smelt more metal and from there the options are endless! *dreams of robot army civilization ruled by SCV*).

The CC is pretty much our ultimate safe haven for now.

Ponce
2010-01-02, 12:10 AM
You try to respond to the alien mind, but your attempts are drowned out by its own incredible beacon-like presence.

As you do this, you comb through the accessible portions of the command center. You eventually locate a large maintenance corridor that seems to lead toward the reactor at the back of the structure. A short trip down this passage leads you to the main reactor control room. You can see the reactor core through a thick layer of transparent lead. It has sunk down into the floor, and is no doubt stupendously hot. Much of the interior workings seem to have melted, as have many of the controls. The attack must have caused a meltdown, somehow. Possibly a result of the ambient heat and radiation combined with an overload of the power grid. Either way, it will need a completely new reactor.

To the north is the plateau system, atop which is the starport. The biofields are north-west-west of here. The emergency bunker is north west, and the zerg nests are far north-west. The alien presence is to the south east.

(As an aside, would you guys find a running tally of your inventory to be useful?)

imp_fireball
2010-01-02, 07:31 PM
(As an aside, would you guys find a running tally of your inventory to be useful?)

Yes.

So the reactor is dead. Is their room for a replacement? Any manuals to consult about reactor safety, components, etc.? Any other supplies within the CC?

The alien doesn't want our attention so lets ignore it.

Ponce
2010-01-04, 07:17 PM
There doesn't seem to be any sort of easy manuals available, though that would have been rather convenient. You don't see much else by way of supplies that survived the attack. Much of the interior of the command center has been severely damaged by the ambient heat, though the structure itself remained intact.

You have in your possession:
-Two weeks' worth of food
-Three rusty power cells
-One intact power cell

Your SCV has the following modifications:
-Goliath Armour (2 tonnes, 80% coverage)

To the north is the plateau system, atop which is the starport. The biofields are north-west-west of here. The emergency bunker is north west, and the zerg nests are far north-west. The alien presence is to the south east.

imp_fireball
2010-01-04, 08:19 PM
Search the repair bay for supplies.

BavetteOfAgony
2010-01-06, 12:25 PM
I say we run for our lives out of this rock. The ghost, zergs and now the protoss... I get the feeling this place is crowded and they aren't our friends. Lets kick out.

I would send a distress signal from the Command Center trough the communication portal and gtfo. The ghost appears unable to save himself, so I think someone else could handle it... Also, if there survivors I don't feel like having their lives on [charname's] hands.
Also, there a few areas we can access with our T-280, and to leave it while we do so... well, not a good idea.

Vote: Activate the CC distress signal and head north, toward the starport.

Ponce
2010-01-07, 03:22 PM
You fiddle with the emergency distress signal controls and surprisingly manage to get it working. It must have its own, small battery to put out a simple distress call in case of just such an emergency.

Looking around, you decide you've had enough of this place. Ghosts and haunting protoss be damned. You embark to the north, hovering eerily over the scorched terrain. The occasional fire blocks your path, but it isn't too difficult to find your way toward the plateau that the starport rests on.

As you hike away from the outpost, the shining alien presence you detected seems to fade as you put some miles between you and it. Halfway through the trip, it is gone altogether, but as you approach the plateau, you detect a new awareness. It is strange, almost arachnid in nature.

Either way, you see the machined ramp that leads up to the plateau, granting access to the starport.

You are fairly hungry. Your SCV has one week's worth of power.

You have in your possession:
-Two weeks' worth of food
-Three rusty power cells
-One intact power cell

Your SCV has the following modifications:
-Goliath Armour (2 tonnes, 80% coverage)

To the south is the outpost, and to the west are the zerg nests. The emergency bunker lies west by north-west, and the biofields are further beyond that in the same direction.

smuchmuch
2010-01-08, 12:25 PM
Uh oh, I didn't think we'd met zergs so soon. (well it could no be one, but unless there's radscopions in Starcraft, I can't think of anything else that would deserve the epiteth "arachnoid")

I assume our character never saw/fought one before and therefore doesn't know anything about them, right ?

Ponce
2010-01-12, 12:02 PM
Unfortunately, this game hasn't taken off as I hoped it would, so I'm afraid I'll have to close it for now. Was fun guys, see you around!