PDA

View Full Version : Question: Two handed weapon

Demons_eye
2009-12-19, 01:13 AM
Is there any way to get a two handed weapon to count as a one handed weapon?

I want my guy to have the power attack feats and stuff but only use one hand, most of the time, so the damage will be lower then two handed. Then when he is in a really hard fight he uses both hands for lots more damage.

If there is not a way: is it over powered to homebrew a feat along these lines? What kind of trouble will I run into besides MwF bug people with four great swords?

I don't want him to be switching weapons around so any help?

Edit:

Group X finds the remains of the last group to save the world and there weapons are given to the group. The DM let us make up the weapon we wanted and everyone chose this or that. Two people said they want swords (Me and my friend). We debated for a bit before the DM suggested one of use goes TWF while the other goes THF, we agreed and I picked up THF.

List of weapons taken by other players.
Axes (Taken)
Staff
Bows
Pole arms
Knifes
Clubs
Maces
And Longsword/Short sword combo

Psychosis
2009-12-19, 01:15 AM
Don't take my word on this, but I believe that if the user is big enough a two-handed weapon of "normal" size could be held in one hand. Not that this helps you at all....

Surgo
2009-12-19, 01:15 AM
Don't take my word on this, but I believe that if the user is big enough a two-handed weapon of "normal" size could be held in one hand. Not that this helps you at all....
That's a 3.0ism; unfortunately, this is not how it works in 3.5.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-19, 01:19 AM
Wield a Longsword. You can go from 1-2 and back at will.

Psychosis
2009-12-19, 01:19 AM
That's a 3.0ism; unfortunately, this is not how it works in 3.5.Truly? Balls. I've always been slow on the uptake I guess.

sofawall
2009-12-19, 01:20 AM
Why not wield a Longsword 1-handed, then switch to 2-handed longsword for the tough fights?

(Amusingly, due to typos, that was originally "Switch to 20-handed longsword". Lotsa damage from Str :P)

EDIT: Dammit stoopid. I knew my anecdote would cause ninja. Same weapon, even.

Demons_eye
2009-12-19, 01:28 AM
Thanks but long sword is unusable for fluff reasons, likewise it has to be a sword and I despise bastard swords. I might be able to bend the no swords so long as it has a blade.

Zincorium
2009-12-19, 01:31 AM
Thanks but long sword is unusable for fluff reasons, likewise it has to be a sword and I despise bastard swords. I might be able to bend the no swords so long as it has a blade.

It has to be a sword, and must be usable in one hand but large enough to count as being used in two.

But the swords that actually, y'know, were like this aren't usable for fluff reasons? Are you serious?

If you can't give us the reasons and requirements in detail, you're not going to get anything useful.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-19, 01:32 AM
Thanks but long sword is unusable for fluff reasons, likewise it has to be a sword and I despise bastard swords. I might be able to bend the no swords so long as it has a blade.Scimitar. .

Kantolin
2009-12-19, 01:36 AM
What the?

So it can't be a longsword or a bastard sword, both of which can do exactly what you're looking for, but you want another specifically a sword?

I say pick a one-handed weapon and go with that, but lemme see.... in the Arms & Equipment guide, they have the following exotic weapons:
- Khopesh
- Mercurial Longsword

Alternately, if you'd rather not take an exotic weapon feat, there's the following options:
Jian, Tau-Kien, Gum, Spatha, Wo Dao, Khandar, Katana, Tachi, and Ram Dao.

Those all work. :P

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-19, 01:37 AM
What the?

So it can't be a longsword or a bastard sword, both of which can do exactly what you're looking for, but you want another specifically a sword?

I say pick a one-handed weapon and go with that, but lemme see.... in the Arms & Equipment guide, they have the following exotic weapons:
- Khopesh
- Mercurial Longsword

Alternately, if you'd rather not take an exotic weapon feat, there's the following options:

Those all work. :PAs does a Katana(masterwork Bastard Sword). or refluff a Longsword.

sofawall
2009-12-19, 01:38 AM
Scimitar. Broadsword. Any bloody sword you want of that size.

Or do you mean you want to be able to wield a Greatsword in one hand?

SparkMandriller
Thanks but long sword is unusable for fluff reasons, likewise it has to be a sword and I despise bastard swords.

Are we going to have to play a guessing game until we find the one sword you like, or what?

Temotei
You could always just wield a weapon that's too big or too small for you, and use enlarge person and reduce person.

herrhauptmann
2009-12-19, 01:39 AM
So you want a blade, but it doesn't have to be a sword... Then you need an axe really.

Dwarven waraxe. Same damage as bastard sword, but crits on a 20 with a x3.
Or take your mw bastard sword, curve teh blade, and call it a katana.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#simpleMartialandExoticWeapons
Just look at the majority of one handed weapons. Many of them can be wielded in 2 hands. And it states that you can wield a double weapon (orc axe, gnome hammer, doublebladed sword etc) in one hand, but you're then limited to using only one end of hte weapon in a given round.

But yeah, if there's fluff restrictions here, tell us at the start so we don't waste our time directing you to the sword you don't want to use.

Demons_eye
2009-12-19, 01:42 AM
What the?

- Khopesh
- Mercurial Longsword

Those all work. :P

Thanks! The reason is basically everyone gets a relic weapon and some one all ready got long sword. I hate the bastard sword's flavor and if I just chang it, it would still be a bastard sword to me.

Scimitar. .

Thanks, for some reason I thought those where light weapons.

Edit:

Are we going to have to play a guessing game until we find the one sword you like, or what?

List of weapons usable to be used.

Axes
Staff
Bows
Pole arms
Knifes
Clubs
Maces

herrhauptmann
2009-12-19, 01:44 AM
Thanks! The reason is basically everyone gets a relic weapon and some one all ready got long sword. I hate the bastard sword's flavor and if I just chang it, it would still be a bastard sword to me.

Umm, there's not much flavor on the bastard sword. It's actually got less written on it in the SRD than most of the weapons.

Demons_eye
2009-12-19, 01:46 AM
Umm, there's not much flavor on the bastard sword. It's actually got less written on it in the SRD than most of the weapons.

Sorry not to clarify. In the game I am playing, I hate the fluff.

SparkMandriller
2009-12-19, 01:50 AM
I hate the bastard sword's flavor and if I just chang it, it would still be a bastard sword to me.

You gotta free your mind, brother.

sofawall
2009-12-19, 01:52 AM
List of weapons usable to be used.

Axes
Staff
Bows
Pole arms
Knifes
Clubs
Maces

I recommend you pick a one-handed weapon out of this list as your weapon of choice:

Axes
Clubs
Maces

As everything else you listed is not one-handed.

Coidzor
2009-12-19, 01:52 AM
Why? I mean, it's like, too big to be used one handed without specialized training but not quite so big as a gurt sword.

What the heck fluff can be put on top of that to change what it is fundamentally to something unpleasant enough to care about?

herrhauptmann
2009-12-19, 01:56 AM
Sorry not to clarify. In the game I am playing, I hate the fluff.

That's my point. There is no fluff. It's not a weapon added in to give variety besides longsword and greatsword.
It's a historical weapon, and was included in 2nd ed, (and probably 1st ed) on that basis. Heck they actually removed options by deleting the broadsword after 2nd ed.

Demons_eye
2009-12-19, 02:07 AM
That's my point. There is no fluff. It's not a weapon added in to give variety besides longsword and greatsword.
It's a historical weapon, and was included in 2nd ed, (and probably 1st ed) on that basis. Heck they actually removed options by deleting the broadsword after 2nd ed.

Why? I mean, it's like, too big to be used one handed without specialized training but not quite so big as a gurt sword.

What the heck fluff can be put on top of that to change what it is fundamentally to something unpleasant enough to care about?

The Idea in my DM's head is that the only people in his world that use bastard swords are bastards. The sword is a social standing that sets people back far and they are very rare as no one wants to make them. By this logic not only will I have to endure the scorn of people, I will have convince my DM the heroes of legend used this sword.

To top it all off as my guy could pick up the feat for EWP, but I would most likely have to find a teacher and that a how lot of crap I would rather not deal with.

Cray eh? In his defense he is a very good DM and comes up with awesome things.

I recommend you pick a one-handed weapon out of this list as your weapon of choice:

Axes
Clubs
Maces

As everything else you listed is not one-handed.

Sorry bad English, meant to say List of weapons unusable.

Coidzor
2009-12-19, 02:13 AM
The Idea in my DM's head is that the only people in his world that use bastard swords are bastards. The sword is a social standing that sets people back far and they are very rare as no one wants to make them. By this logic not only will I have to endure the scorn of people, I will have convince my DM the heroes of legend used this sword.

To top it all off as my guy could pick up the feat for EWP, but I would most likely have to find a teacher and that a how lot of crap I would rather not deal with.

Crazy eh? In his defense he is a very good DM and comes up with awesome things.

Yeah, people always say that like it excuses the guy's bad qualities...

Demons_eye
2009-12-19, 02:17 AM
Yeah, people always say that like it excuses the guy's bad qualities...

Never said it was a good defense.

Pluto
2009-12-19, 02:20 AM
So... use one of the other 12 swords listed in this thread?

Or a Thinblade?

absolmorph
2009-12-19, 02:24 AM
I gave up when I saw this.

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-19, 02:27 AM
hmm... Can the jovar be used one handed? nope :(

is 3rd party allowed?

PhoenixRivers
2009-12-19, 02:27 AM
That's a 3.0ism; unfortunately, this is not how it works in 3.5.

Actually, it does.

If a Large Creature wields a Greataxe sized for a medium creature, he can wield it one handed. However, he takes a -4 on the roll. It's in the current 3.x SRD.

herrhauptmann
2009-12-19, 02:28 AM
The Idea in my DM's head is that the only people in his world that use bastard swords are bastards.

Ahh, that's fluff right there. You can understand our confusion.

The sword is a social standing that sets people back far and they are very rare as no one wants to make them.

I think I'm either misreading this part, or there's a word missing. No one makes swords of any variety? Or just no one makes hand and a half swords?

Idea: The impression that only illegitimate sons in your DMs world would use bastard swords probably came from somewhere. Perhaps the high king of 4000 years ago had a few dozen kids from the other side of the sheets, and he raised them alongside his royal heirs.

Things went along fine as his bastards and his heirs grew up together, many of his bastards even managed to succeed in their chosen fields (religion, war, politics etc). The problem wasn't until the king was dying of old age, and passed his throne to his eldest heir.

While the John the Heir was a good man, he was not the equal of his halfbrother known to history only as The Bastard due to his actions on that day. All his life The Bastard had outperformed John the Heir. In their studies as youths, as swordsmen, as statesmen as generals, the Bastard had always reigned superior to John the Heir, yet he remained loyal to his father.
When the King announced that John the Heir would be the new king, The Bastard attacked John the Heir, disfiguring his face, before fleeing the castle that he might raise an army to steal the throne from John the Heir.

When the Bastard fled the castle, he left behind his sword, a bastard sword which had been swung a thousand times for honor and justice, and once in rage, stained with the blood of his kinsman.

taltamir
2009-12-19, 02:36 AM
P103 of the "complete warrior" book:
Feat: Monkey Grip: You may use some weapons one size category larger than normal in exchange for a –2 penalty on attacks.
A Medium-sized character could use a Large-sized Longsword as a One-Handed Weapon.
This feat does not allow you to use an oversized double weapon or to wield an oversized Light weapon in
your off-hand.

it isn't "exactly" word for word what you asked. But I think it can be interpreted so that using a two handed weapon in one hand works. (I have seen people use the interpretation before)

Any weapon that is one handed MAY be used with both hands at your discretion for extra damage without requiring any feat.

Demons_eye
2009-12-19, 11:16 AM
Monkey Grip

This works I think, I can just use a large Scimitar and say its a Falchion. It bugs me though, that the small Falchion is 1d6 yet a large Scimitar is 1d8.

Idea: story

This works too so I will use it if the DM lets it fly.

Doomboy911
2009-12-19, 11:23 AM
Now that the question is resolved my friend carries a large claymore so he gets to use to D6 any weapons for the bard that can let me do the same.

Riffington
2009-12-19, 11:32 AM
Broadsword?
Hand-and-a-half sword?

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-19, 11:56 AM
it isn't "exactly" word for word what you asked. But I think it can be interpreted so that using a two handed weapon in one hand works. (I have seen people use the interpretation before)

No it can't. Only people who don't bother to read the feat think it does that.