PDA

View Full Version : Varient Healing Domain (3.5, PEACH)

cheezewizz2000
2009-12-19, 04:53 AM
As it stands, I don't like the healing domain. I think giving clerics access to cure spells through a domain is much like opening bill gates a bank account and putting a fiver in there once in a while. More cash is always a bit nice, but when you have more money than you need, that little bit extra isn't going to make much difference.

So here's my proposal. The healing domain should be more about being a first aid kit, rather than a box of plasters (band-aids, whatever your regional parlance is).

Healing Domain
Granted power: Clerics roll d10s instead of d8s when casting cure spells

1- Gentle Repose
2- Remove Blindness/ Deafness
3- Remove Disease
4- Neutralise Poison
5- Revivify (Spell Compendium)
6- Heal
7- Regenerate
8- Heal (Mass)
9- True Resurrection

The granted power averages out to about the same, however it doesn't cap its usefulness at level 5 when cure light wounds puts an arbitrary caster level cap on its bonus. Couple of spells granted a little earlier, but then other domains do much the same thing.

Latronis
2009-12-19, 05:17 AM
I don't think mass heal should be available before level 9.

I don't really agree with Gentle Repose either but i can buy it i guess.

Kantolin
2009-12-19, 05:33 AM
Personally, I'd give it the spell compendium spells Panacaea and perhaps Healing Lorecall. While the removes are actually also very fitting, they still have to compete for a domain slot and thus are less likely to be utilized.

Other healing spells that aren't cure X wounds may also be options, such as healing spirit(PHB2), or Darts of Life(Complete Champion). I actually find revivify to be a kind of weird option.

I do like the flavor of using d10s instead of d8s to heal with, but I don't think that's actually too much of an effect. Perhaps have it grant you the complete divine's augment healing feat? Or maybe even just grant you the same effect.

Although it looks like you're trying mostly to stick to core, which is also cool. Perhaps aid as a first level spell? Could play merry havoc with wands and the like, but aid could work at first.

cheezewizz2000
2009-12-19, 06:16 AM
I don't think mass heal should be available before level 9.
I tried to stick to core and couldn't really find anything appropriate. Alternatives in core might be Clone, though that's a little... icky. What do you think?

I don't really agree with Gentle Repose either but i can buy it i guess.

My logic was that level 1 parties don't really have any way to deal with party deaths. Gentle repose at least allows you to preserve a party-member's corpse so that they can be ressurected later. While I know it's not ideal, mechanically (costs a bomb, -2 con), it is at least appropriate for RP reasons (giving them a proper burial) and has some utlity in storing food.

Other healing spells that aren't cure X wounds may also be options, such as healing spirit(PHB2), or Darts of Life(Complete Champion). I actually find revivify to be a kind of weird option.

I'm not actually very familiar with the spell compendium, despite owning a copy. I usually use it to occasionally suppliment the core spells, but I'll have a look at those.

I do like the flavor of using d10s instead of d8s to heal with, but I don't think that's actually too much of an effect. Perhaps have it grant you the complete divine's augment healing feat? Or maybe even just grant you the same effect.

Using d10s instead of d8s has exactly the same effect as the Healing Domain's +1 caster level, except it doesn't stop working when you reach the cure spells' (+caster level, max X). It means that on average a level 5 cleric with the healing domain will do an extra 1 point of healing with cure light wounds than a level 5 cleirc without the healing domain, rather than exactly the same, as current.

From what I remember, the Augment Healing feat is the one in which extra effects are added, based on your domains? What was the bonus from the healing domain? I don't have complete divine on me at the moment.

Latronis
2009-12-19, 07:47 AM
Core? I'm drawing a blank. Except for the obvious mass cure critical, which doesn't help you much i'm sure

Zaydos
2009-12-19, 09:40 AM
Augment healing adds a bonus to hp healed by conjuration (healing) spells based on their spell level. Also in Unearthed Arcana there was talk about variant spontaneous clerics who if they had the Healing Domain instead of new spells added to their list they got to use d12s instead of d8s for cure spells; a +2/spell level (max +8) would be far from game breaking. d10s actually is better than +1 CL adding +1/spell level (max +4 as 5th+ level ones just repeat in mass effects) to how much you heal.

Roderick_BR
2009-12-19, 11:38 PM
My logic was that level 1 parties don't really have any way to deal with party deaths. Gentle repose at least allows you to preserve a party-member's corpse so that they can be ressurected later.
By "later" you mean several levels later, right? At lower levels, It's unlikely for players to find much ressurrection magic.

This is an idea I had bumbling for an while: Make Revivify be a 3rd level spell, Rise Dead a 6th level spell, and Ressurrection a 9th level spell, and leave True ressurrection be availiable only to deities or epic level. You get a useful but not overpowered spell earlier, and more powerful later.

The granted power is good.

For the first level spell... hmm... Dunno. Vigor, maybe?

deuxhero
2009-12-20, 08:33 PM
Augment healing adds a bonus to hp healed by conjuration (healing) spells based on their spell level. Also in Unearthed Arcana there was talk about variant spontaneous clerics who if they had the Healing Domain instead of new spells added to their list they got to use d12s instead of d8s for cure spells; a +2/spell level (max +8) would be far from game breaking. d10s actually is better than +1 CL adding +1/spell level (max +4 as 5th+ level ones just repeat in mass effects) to how much you heal.

I'm fairly sure I can say that said feat is in NWN2 and that version is recorded here (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Augment_healing)

Debihuman
2010-01-02, 09:19 AM
The only problem with your domain spells is that the spell level should match the domain level. Gentle repose isn't a first level spell and I don't think it should be a first level domain spell either. This is exactly why cure light wounds is the first domain spell on the Healing list. If you can find another first level spell that could substitute, then I would consider using your domain. Heck, you could even add homebrewed spells to this if you wanted. I'm just concerned about power balance. Also, gentle repose can only be cast on dead creatures. This would not exactly be my first pick for a domain spell.

Debby

DracoDei
2010-01-02, 12:05 PM
I think there is precident in Core for a domain granting access to a spell at a lower level than it is otherwise availible, but I might be mistaken.

Siosilvar
2010-01-02, 12:27 PM
I think there is precident in Core for a domain granting access to a spell at a lower level than it is otherwise availible, but I might be mistaken.

There is. Let me go find one...

EDIT: Fire Storm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fireStorm.htm)
Level: Clr 8, Drd 7, Fire 7

Hmm... could've sworn there were more.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-02, 12:51 PM
Maybe grant lesser Vigour as the Level 1 Spell. Not very useful at Level 1, but you can still turn it into a CLW if you need to.

DracoDei
2010-01-02, 01:25 PM
You can't do spontanious casting from domain slots... unless it isn't spontanious casting and that is a property of Lesser Vigor ?

robotrobot2
2010-01-02, 02:03 PM
A possible domain granted power could be the ability to spontaneously convert domain spell slot into cure spells, so you could prepare more of the other domain's spells while still having more access to healing. If your going to end up playing a heal bot anyway, your effectively getting an extra cure spell each level that could always be used for the other domain.