PDA

View Full Version : Warblade or Swordsage[3.5]

evil-frosty
2009-12-19, 11:35 AM
Just a thought exercise here but in a gestalt game where one side is Druid, what would be best for the other side, Swordsage or Warblade? I know this might depend on what you want the character to do but i am not thinking about that right now.

Pluto
2009-12-19, 11:40 AM
Just a thought exercise here but in a gestalt game where one side is Druid, what would be best for the other side, Swordsage or Warblade? I know this might depend on what you want the character to do but i am not thinking about that right now.

Druids have high Wisdom, bad Reflex saves, heal spells and not much use for BA (natural weapons mean itinerative attacks don't matter).

They also would make incredible scouts if they could get Hide and Move Silently on their skill lists somehow.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-19, 11:44 AM
Warblade

+ 1/1 BaB
+ Balance, Climb, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local), Martial Lore and Tumble as class skills
+ Access to Warblade-only Iron Heart discipline
+ Better maneuver recovery method
+ Bonus feats
- No change in saves
- Less maneuvers known than Swordsage

Swordsage

+ 2 more skill points
+ Balance, Climb, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (royalty and nobility), Martial Lore, Move Silently, Sense Motive and Tumble as class skills
+ Good Reflex save
+ Access to Swordsage-only Desert Wind, Setting Sun and Shadow Hand disciplines
+ More maneuvers and stances available
+ Can take "Adaptive Style" to switch out maneuvers on the fly
+ Wisdom bonus to AC
- No improved BaB
- Worst maneuver recovery mechanic

...So... depends what you want, really. Swordsage gives you a lot (especially with high Wisdom, as it adds to AC), but Warblade can be good if you want high BaB or a good maneuver recovery mechanic that doesn't require you to waste a feat.

Eldan
2009-12-19, 11:46 AM
Well, the warblade gives you feats and better base attack. Makes you a good frontliner. However, the swordsage gives you wisdom to AC, which a druid can use well.

Xefas
2009-12-19, 11:57 AM
I think I'd go for swordsage, personally. The wisdom to AC is damn good, as well as good reflex saves. Aside from that, though, I think the Druid negates much of the disadvantage of the swordsage's poor recovery mechanic, because they're also going to want to be casting a few spells here and there (via Natural Spell or otherwise) so whenever you're out of maneuvers, you still have things to do without necessarily having to burn a full-round action.

Draz74
2009-12-19, 12:04 PM
Yeah, Swordsage. As a Druid, you won't be needing to recover maneuvers within an encounter anyway.

Maybe multiclass to Warblade for four levels for the BAB. (ToB classes multiclass well).

deuxhero
2009-12-19, 12:04 PM
Unarmed Swordsage allows you to pull off a full attack AND use all your natural attacks as secondarys, you won't be wearing armor as a bear anyways.

Lycanthromancer
2009-12-19, 12:11 PM
Unarmed Swordsage allows you to pull off a full attack AND use all your natural attacks as secondarys, you won't be wearing armor as a bear anyways.My refutation of that argument:

http://eplteen.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/the-golden-compass2.jpg

If you have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and are killing men with your bear hands, why not cover your bear arse with some armor while you're at it?

Expensive, yes, but heavy fortification and blur enhancements are quite probably worth it.

...which can be added to light armor, now that I think about it, which makes swordsage even better than monk for druids.

Hoorah!

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-12-19, 12:23 PM
Heh heh... bear arse. :smallwink:

+1 to swordsage. I think you get the better benefit. The 1/1 BAB is nice, and you get a swift recovery mechanic, but the swordsage bonuses outweigh the warblade bonuses.

If you put it together right, you could go Druid 20 // Swordsage X / Fighter 2 (feats and profs...) / Master of Nine and get access to Iron Heart discipline, which is the primary reason to go Warblade :smallcool:

The picture kinda betrays the Druid heritage... they can't wear metal armor. If your DM doesn't care about that, Mithril Breastplate is considered light armor, and therefore can be worn by a swordsage.

deuxhero
2009-12-19, 12:24 PM
Though if he is dipping in another martial class for BAB, he gets armor anyways.

Faleldir
2009-12-19, 12:45 PM
The picture kinda betrays the Druid heritage... they can't wear metal armor. If your DM doesn't care about that, Mithril Breastplate is considered light armor, and therefore can be worn by a swordsage.
Or you could wear a darkleaf breastplate. (Eberron campaign setting)

Samb
2009-12-19, 12:55 PM
Everyone says that a swordsage has a bad recovery method, but the point is that you should so many readied manuvuers that recovery is not even an issue. Plus the fact that you will be casting as well, which makes it even less likely to run out of stuff to do.

Warblade does have full BAB going for it.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-19, 01:23 PM
I second swordsage.

My concept goes something like this:

Shifter (The flying one)

Class: Swordsage//Druid 10/Weretouched Master 5/Bloodclaw Master 5

Stye: Tiger Claw w/ dabble in either Desert Wind or Diamond Mind

Weapons: Natural Weapons of form X

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-19, 01:35 PM
Just in case it matters, only claws are discipline weapons for Tiger Claw, not other natural attacks.

Eloel
2009-12-19, 01:40 PM
A initiator/druid is great, in theory. But you're still limited to 1 action/round, which means you have to choose between casting a spell (you have GREAT buffs) and initiating a maneuver (you have alot of those too)

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-19, 01:42 PM
Well there is Quicken Spell. Or boosts.

deuxhero
2009-12-19, 02:08 PM
You could be a Wildshape ranger (or wild shape mystic ranger)//Unarmed Swordsage. You keep light armor (and metal), full BAB without mutliclassing, though with Medium and small animals only (unless you take a feat to expand your options, like cyrohydra wildshape), that means no bears.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-19, 02:11 PM
You could be a Wildshape ranger (or wild shape mystic ranger)//Unarmed Swordsage. You keep light armor (and metal), full BAB without mutliclassing, though with Medium and small animals only (unless you take a feat to expand your options, like cyrohydra wildshape), that means no bears.

I still say the weretouched bloodclaw master is the optimal combo, though wildshape ranger is a definate improvement.

That said, Id forgo the casting for most cases, wildshape into, as he suggested with one feat: Cryohydra, and unleash the untamed Full BAB and maneuver power of a Twelve-Headed Cryohydra of the Tiger Claw!!!

sofawall
2009-12-19, 02:20 PM
I still say the weretouched bloodclaw master is the optimal combo

You're saying those two prestige classes are better than another 10 levels of Druid?

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-19, 02:26 PM
You're saying those two prestige classes are better than another 10 levels of Druid?

I never said that. I said in response to the Wildshape Ranger concept, this'd run quite smoothly.

sofawall
2009-12-19, 02:35 PM
I never said that. I said in response to the Wildshape Ranger concept, this'd run quite smoothly.

But you said those two were optimal, and wildshape ranger adds to them, meaning they were optimal before wildshape ranger (don't ask me how that works, being optimal then getting better), meaning they are supposedly more optimal than Druid 20.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-19, 02:45 PM

I beg to differ. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bearBlack.htm)

Mongoose87
2009-12-19, 02:51 PM
But you said those two were optimal, and wildshape ranger adds to them, meaning they were optimal before wildshape ranger (don't ask me how that works, being optimal then getting better), meaning they are supposedly more optimal than Druid 20.

I think you're taking what he said too literally.

Tavar
2009-12-19, 02:52 PM
If you go wildshape ranger, Master of Many forms just got much better. In fact, that plus warshaper or Natures Warrior might work pretty well.

deuxhero
2009-12-19, 03:01 PM
I beg to differ. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bearBlack.htm)

Realized that black bears are only medium after I got quoted.

evil-frosty
2009-12-19, 03:28 PM
Where is wildshape ranger found? I cant seem to find it in the SRD.

Eloel
2009-12-19, 03:31 PM
Where is wildshape ranger found? I cant seem to find it in the SRD.

Here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger)

Blablabla

Mongoose87
2009-12-19, 03:35 PM
Here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger)

Blablabla

That always struck me as a really nice tradeoff for Rangers.

evil-frosty
2009-12-19, 03:53 PM
Thank You, one more question:When do they gain each ability? It doesnt say. Do i just assume at the same level of a druid or barbarian respectively?

sofawall
2009-12-19, 04:09 PM
It does say when they get it. They get it as Druid or as Barbarian, respectively.

evil-frosty
2009-12-19, 04:15 PM
Guess i just misread it. Day has been like that a lot so far. Sorry.

Keld Denar
2009-12-19, 04:20 PM
If you go Druid20//Swordsage20, unarmed variant, you'd get Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. This means you could pick up Improved Grapple really easily, and Crushing Roots of the Mountain as your 3rd level SS Stance. Shift into a Brown Bear asap, and cast the highest level Bite of the Were-X you can. Your grapple mod should be in the mid 40s at least, allowing you to really take a bite out of crime. Crushing Roots of the Mountain more or less gives you Constrict, an AWESOME ability for grapplers, meaning you do damage EVERY time you win a grapple check. So...if a foe tries to escape, you'll be doing damage on his turn, for free.

deuxhero
2009-12-19, 04:37 PM
If you didn't care for spells or skill points, you could chain a Barbarian that trades rage for combat style, then trades combat style for wildshape, then reverse trades his DR for monk's speed (an enchantment bonus so it stacks with one of your two barbarian speed boosts, you have to trade the other for something else) (all in the same section as wildshape ranger)

Mongoose87
2009-12-19, 04:42 PM
If you didn't care for spells or skill points, you could chain a Barbarian that trades rage for combat style, then trades combat style for wildshape, then reverse trades his DR for monk's speed (an enchantment bonus so it stacks with one of your two barbarian speed boosts, you have to trade the other for something else) (all in the same section as wildshape ranger)

You can trade speed bonus for Pounce, can you not? Of course, most Wildshape animals have pounce.