PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Class Feature

Temotei
2009-12-19, 05:28 PM
This thread is similar to the past thread dealing with your favorite capstone ability. I'm just wondering what your favorite class feature is overall. That's a lot. Obviously, one of the more popular ones is going to be spellcasting...

I'm not sure what my favorite is. There are so many to pick from it's ridiculous.

Feel free to draw from any source, including homebrew.

Surgo
2009-12-19, 05:33 PM
Obvious spellcasting.

Otherwise, the foil from the Tome Fighter (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Fighter,_Tome_%283.5e_Class%29).

Platinius
2009-12-19, 05:35 PM
"A thousand Faces" for the druid

Bosaxon
2009-12-19, 05:36 PM
Dungeoncrasher.

Because who wouldn't love to utterly destroy people just by running them into walls?:smallbiggrin:

jindra34
2009-12-19, 05:37 PM
DFA's Breath weapon. Nigh ultimate mob elimination.

Temet Nosce
2009-12-19, 05:38 PM
The ability to use Enchantment spells on immune targets from the Nightmare Spinner variant.

AslanCross
2009-12-19, 05:42 PM
1. Martial maneuvers.
2. Silver Flame Pyromancer's Sacred Flame ability----more power to divinely-sanctioned pyromaniacs, and finding a way to make sure that fire really solves everything.

Brendan
2009-12-19, 05:43 PM
Hide in plain sight.
Who doesn't like jumping out from someone's shadow and stabbing the enemy in the face?

Temotei
2009-12-19, 05:45 PM
1. Martial maneuvers.
2. Silver Flame Pyromancer's Sacred Flame ability----more power to divinely-sanctioned pyromaniacs, and finding a way to make sure that fire really solves everything.

Including forest fires. :smallbiggrin:

mr.fizzypop
2009-12-19, 05:47 PM
My favorite would have to be the drunken master's drink like a demon and breath of flame, just because you can wreak havoc upon your enemies and your liver, at the same time.

Zincorium
2009-12-19, 05:49 PM
Rage. Has been since 2nd edition.

The idea that you are just so incredibly angry that something breaks in your brain and you start smashing things until they don't look at you funny anymore.

Korivan
2009-12-19, 05:49 PM
Inspiration

Shadowbane
2009-12-19, 05:55 PM
Rage. Has been since 2nd edition.

The idea that you are just so incredibly angry that something breaks in your brain and you start smashing things until they don't look at you funny anymore.

Yes! Very much this. And whatever the ability is called in Frenzied Berserker that keeps you alive pretty much no matter what.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-12-19, 06:12 PM
Other than spellcasting? I really like Wildshape.

JellyPooga
2009-12-19, 06:20 PM
I've always liked Invocations, from the moment I saw them (especially Flee the Scene...gotta love all day Dimension Door!).

On the more mundane front, the Scout has a host of abilities that rank pretty high, from the higher tier Bindsight and (Ex) Freedom of Movement to the lower ranking abilities of Skirmish and Battle Fortitude...the latter two (and their bretheren on the Less-than-Level-10 list of Scout abilities) might not be "optimal" or exceptionally powerful, but (for me at least) they represent the Scouts role in a party really well without stepping on the toes of other classes features too much.

Absolute favourite though? Bear Form. You can keep your Wildshape, Spellcasting, Animal Companions, Sneak Attack and Bonus Feats...with Bear Form I can get so angry I turn into a frickin' BEAR! How awesome is that?

Grumman
2009-12-19, 06:24 PM
Skirmish / Swift Surge

Because "If I run at the enemy while shooting, my crossbow bolts will go faster and do more damage!" is amusingly Orky.

Human Paragon 3
2009-12-19, 06:26 PM
Evasion. It's always great when the DM says "Take 40, 20 if you passed" and you can reply "I take 0."

Tavar
2009-12-19, 06:27 PM
Jade phoenix mage capstone. Because who doesn't want to explode in a massive burst of fiery and pure holy energy, then reform later, full healed?

SurlySeraph
2009-12-19, 06:27 PM
Smite Evil. If you need an explanation of why Smite Evil is the best thing ever, you'll never understand.

Sinfire Titan
2009-12-19, 06:32 PM
Meldshaping.

Totem Embodiment too, but just being able to shape/bind some soulmelds would be enough for me. The Essentia pool comes with it.

Inhuman Bot
Yes! Very much this. And whatever the ability is called in Frenzied Berserker that keeps you alive pretty much no matter what.

Frenzy? :smalltongue:

I like Warjack attunement. Because who doesn't love a nice artillery piece/melee hulk?

Demons_eye
Totemist soulmelds because its fun to say "I put all my points back into the slots, grow 4 Arms with claws, a Tail that attacks, Fangs that bite, and attack the bitch that thought I was helpless."

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-19, 06:47 PM
Smite Evil. If you need an explanation of why Smite Evil is the best thing ever, you'll never understand.

Please. Fluorine is the best thing ever.

HCL
2009-12-19, 08:10 PM
Ooh, I am the first to say Soulbinding! Causing yourself to be possessed by crazed spirits? Yes please.

Cleric Domains because they are awesome.

Familiars, especially with Improved Familiar, Dark companion variant, and Dragon familiar. Extra half a character. And a real half a character with skills and a personality not just a dumbass animal that grapples. But it is not blatantly imbalanced like leadership.

Munchkin-Masher
2009-12-19, 08:19 PM
I gotta say i love Planar bubble from the planar shepherd. Sure it's cheese-tastic but that dosn't make it any less awesome.

"If you send your enemies to Hell, Send Hell to them.

Ravens_cry
2009-12-19, 08:21 PM
Pathfinder Smite Evil.
I call upon my god(dess) for the power to wreak holy retribution upon thee until I rest, or you're dead.
Bring it, scruffy.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-19, 08:23 PM
Sneak attack!

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-19, 08:46 PM
Detect Evil at will. Especially if I can somehow use it for Smite-on-Sight without losing the ability. Most classes require you to stay good, though, so that's problematic.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-12-19, 09:06 PM
Sneak Attac.....and....... Eldritch Blast!!!! more if you combine them!!!

Ernir
2009-12-19, 09:41 PM
Maneuvers.

mikej
2009-12-19, 10:16 PM
Wildshape!

SurlySeraph
2009-12-19, 10:18 PM
Please. Fluorine is the best thing ever.

[Insert rant about the purity of our precious bodily fluids here]

Samb
2009-12-19, 10:29 PM
Wild surge from wilders. Not only provides more ML, but free PP as well.

Craft reserve from artificers. No longer worry about falling behind in XP thanks to this reserve of XP just for crafting your custom item that make this class so great.

Optimystik
2009-12-19, 11:01 PM
Next to manifesting would be Convert Spell to Power. Suddenly every sourcebook has goodies for psionics!

Zeta Kai
2009-12-19, 11:09 PM
Inspiration

QFT. The Factotum is my new favorite class. :smallcool:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-19, 11:35 PM
Summoning spell access. It's basically saying that you're too lazy to cast a spell to accomplish your goal, so you call a beast from the lowest levels of hell to do it for you. Once you hit level 9, you should never so much as take a step anywhere, just be carried around by your personal Elementals.

aje8
2009-12-19, 11:38 PM
Spellcasting.

Aside from that, +1 on Inspiration. Factotum for the win.

Roderick_BR
2009-12-19, 11:59 PM
"Butt kicking for goodness!" (although the person that says it is a chaotic crazy ranger)

The name is Deathless Frenzy.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-20, 12:03 AM
Inspiration

but that's like saying "all of them" :smallannoyed:

Thurbane
2009-12-20, 12:19 AM
Soul Binding

arguskos
2009-12-20, 12:24 AM
A homebrew one, actually, Flowing Defense, one of my own.

Flowing Defense: At 4th level, the savant learns to shield others from harm with her expert knowledge of the Sight. As a move action, the savant may harmlessly absorb an amount of hit point damage equal to her class level that would affect an ally. This ability may only absorb damage from a single source, and only functions for one turn. The savant may use Flowing Defense once per day per class level.

I loved this idea, I love the application and ability of it. It's amazingly fun and, as far as I know, floating damage shields are a unique mechanic in all of 3.5, though that's only to the best of my knowledge.

Geddoe
2009-12-20, 12:56 AM
I like a large number of them, with Manuevers being my favorite. Also in the running was:

Shadow Pounce
Strike from the Void
Acrobatics(Ninja Spy or Blade Dancer)
Manifesting

Blas_de_Lezo
2009-12-20, 03:53 AM
Not a class feature, but I like it anyway:

Quick Draw and Ongoing Damage.

suryasm
2009-12-20, 04:38 AM
Besides spellcasting,

I would go for the Duskblade's Quick Cast ability. That ability, by itself, is what makes this class badass.

The White Knight
2009-12-20, 10:30 AM
The Chameleon's floating feat.

KellKheraptis
2009-12-20, 12:19 PM
Metamagic Effect. "Oh, I'm sorry. Your commander is a toad and you're jealous? Here *Chained Baleful Polymorph*, all better now? He can lead you again."

"Ok, ok, we can all be elementals today *Chained Elemental Body*"

"What was that, some of them passed their saves, but Mr. Negative Levels over there didn't? *Chained mass buffed Enervation the BBEG ate so everyone dies in a Wail of the Banshee* "

"Meh...this spell is too short. *Persistent Spell*" "So's this veil...*Persistent Spell, as Metamagic Effect does not specify an existing spell, but rather a persistent lasting magical effect, which a veil qualifies as...as if Iot7FV wasn't good enough*"

Artanis
2009-12-20, 12:30 PM
Could you put that this is 3.5 in the title? I missed the thread that the OP refers to, so I clicked on this one planning to mention my favorite 4e class feature.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-20, 01:44 PM
Does it matter? As long as the system has classes, you can post your favorite class feature. My favorite class feature is Shadowform. (http://www.wowwiki.com/Shadowform)

Radiun
2009-12-20, 01:51 PM
Animal Companions right now, because my Dire Bat has been an untouchable pain for my DM (High AC and saves)

Artanis
2009-12-20, 02:01 PM
Does it matter? As long as the system has classes, you can post your favorite class feature. My favorite class feature is Shadowform. (http://www.wowwiki.com/Shadowform)

In that case, he should put "all systems" or something because pretty much every single post has been about 3.5.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-20, 02:04 PM
Should that impede you? The thread about fastest movement speed was practically all 3.5 (and more clear about it), and that didn't stop people from briefly turning it into a discussion on White Wolf systems.

Optimystik
2009-12-20, 02:39 PM
Could you put that this is 3.5 in the title? I missed the thread that the OP refers to, so I clicked on this one planning to mention my favorite 4e class feature.

Like it or not, if a thread has no listed edition, 3.5 is assumed.

For that to change, Wizards needs to either make a 4e OGL or give us all free DDI subscriptions.

The Rose Dragon
2009-12-20, 02:45 PM

For that to change, Wizards needs to either make a 4e OGL or give us all free DDI subscriptions.

There are other systems that WotC did not work on, as well. Some of them even have classes.

I know, hard to believe. :smalltongue:

Artanis
2009-12-20, 02:49 PM

So I have one person telling me that it's for all games, and one person telling me to assume that it's DnD 3.5. My entire point is that it would be nice if this was cleared up where it's easy to see what the thread is about before going and reading through the whole thing.

Gamerlord
2009-12-20, 03:22 PM
All a mission by the 3.5 people to silence 4e fans....

Anyway, wild shape, because it is the easiest thing to break.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-20, 04:19 PM
It's about your favorite class feature. You post your favorite class feature. If it happens to be the "wrong" edition, myopic people suck it up and move on.

Rasman
2009-12-20, 04:23 PM
Quivering Palm - Pathfinder Monk

Come on, I know it's a crap save since it's Fort and all, but when it hits, having the ability to AT WILL kill ANYTHING is awesome. Natural 1s happen and you can solo ANYTHING if they roll it.

Artanis
2009-12-20, 05:10 PM
It's about your favorite class feature. You post your favorite class feature. If it happens to be the "wrong" edition, myopic people suck it up and move on.

...and others are saying otherwise. So I'll wait until everybody decides once and for all.

Optimystik
2009-12-20, 05:46 PM
There are other systems that WotC did not work on, as well. Some of them even have classes.

I know, hard to believe. :smalltongue:

Your obvious sarcasm aside, I was merely pointing out a tendency of this forum. If you don't believe me, make a forum asking for monk advice, and see how many people assume 3.5 vs. 4e, or Pathfinder, etc. if you don't say so.

I'm not trying to derail the topic though, so I'll leave it at that.

pilvento
2009-12-20, 06:53 PM
the killing joke from the gnome prc

edit: no wait! the black flame zealot unholy flames.

FMArthur
2009-12-20, 07:23 PM
Bonus Feat. Seriously.

Draz74
2009-12-20, 08:40 PM
Bonus Feat. Seriously.

Floating Bonus Feat. From the Chameleon.

tahu88810
2009-12-20, 08:57 PM
Thrallherd.
Because you can't get much better than mind slaves.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-20, 08:58 PM
Floating Bonus Feat. From the Chameleon.

I agree with them.

Coidzor
2009-12-20, 10:54 PM
...and others are saying otherwise. So I'll wait until everybody decides once and for all.

Putting a non-3.5 disclaimer is a perfectly valid compromise when one is uncertain or even just as an aside.

Pelfaid
2009-12-20, 11:20 PM
Bonus Feat. Seriously.

Awww, I was gonna say that...
Guess I have to go with Tongue of the Sun and Moon, and hush all you monk haters, talking with anything alive would be awesome. I would be able to give a better answer to those who ask what is it like to be a bat, hmm I guess an anthropomorphic bat would give an even better answer but seriously.

Knaight
2009-12-20, 11:36 PM
Incarnum mechanics in general. So underpowered, yet so amazing.