PDA

View Full Version : Weight allowment problems and swordsages

Rev.Scarecrow
2009-12-19, 07:31 PM
These are my unarmed swordsages stats at level 2. Obviously I'm going be using intuitive attack to consolidate my stats. We are using a 28 point buy system.

Strength 10 (+0)
Dexterity 14 (+2)
Constitution 14 (+2)
Intelligence 12 (+1)
Wisdom 16 (+3)
Charisma 8 (-1)

According to the way we are doing the rules for unarmed swordsage I lose the light armor proficiency but the wisdom boost is for both unarmored and light armor. So since there is no penalty for wearing certain light armor I decided I would wear some leather armor (or masterwork studded leather).

But unfortunately with my equipment

Dagger (to have a weapon that enemies can take away and feel confidant that they have disarmed the threat and close combat poisoning at early levels)
Light Crossbow
Leather armor
Crossbow bolts (quiver of 10) x2
Caltrops
Pouch x3
Rations (1 day) x3
Waterskins x1
Which all adds up to 33 pounds

With a maximum light load of 33 pounds it's going to be hard to keep the wisdom ac bonus unless I'm stronger. I figure I can get a few more points in strength by taking 2 points out of constitution to increase my light load to 43 or less. With the dex+wisdom+armor I'll have 17 to 18 armor depending on if I can afford masterwork studded leather.

Is my ac high enough to justify the lowered health per level?

Darrin
2009-12-19, 07:36 PM
Is my ac high enough to justify the lowered health per level?

No. Your character will be unable to afford a handy haversack (or bag of holding or armor with the easy traveling property, etc.) for a very short period of time. Your stats will be with him for his entire career.

Put all your non-essential non-combat equipment in a backpack. When combat starts, drop the backpack as a free action. Pick up the backpack after combat is over. Save up for an extra-dimensional storage device.

HCL
2009-12-19, 07:56 PM
This is one of the many reasons to play a Dwarf :)

Rev.Scarecrow
2009-12-20, 03:36 AM
This is one of the many reasons to play a Dwarf :)

You mean that the no reduction in speed is considered not encumbered? Don't you still get the penalties to abilities for encumbrance? Ie arn't worse at swimming because of it?

AslanCross
2009-12-20, 03:40 AM
Leave your waterskin with your high-strength party members. If you have a dwarf party member it's even better.

Haven
2009-12-20, 03:41 AM
Keep it as it is, and ask nicely for one of your friends with a positive strength modifier to carry some of your stuff.

(Ninja'd)

BobVosh
2009-12-20, 04:20 AM
Since they changed SS you could go 1 level of monk and double up your wisdom to AC. Delicious double dipping.

Ashiel
2009-12-20, 04:31 AM
Buy a mule. A mule costs 8 gold pieces, plus the cost of saddlebags. The description of mules and donkeys in the equipment entry specifically state that they will follow you even into underground dungeons. They are strong quadrupeds and can carry all your excess items that you don't use for adventuring. Stuff like tends, bedrolls, clay jugs, ladders, hundreds of feet of rope, food, water, bread, cheese, a few spices, some marbles, a few hundred pieces of chalk, etc.

If it strikes your fancy, maybe purchase your mule some studded leather barding for some added protection for your favorite pack-mule. You can also train the mule (using handle animal) to do specific things or even know how to kick something if danger gets a little to close to it. Mules have been staples of dungeon delving and adventurers since the start (in fact, I loved how they were used in the Dungeon Siege PC game, for just this purpose).

I never leave home without my mule, and I always recommend them to my players. :smallamused:

Shpadoinkle
2009-12-20, 04:47 AM
I second Ashiel's sentiment.

Alternately, buy a dog. Keep most of your stuff in your backpack and drop it when a fight comes up, and teach your dog to guard it. He probably won't survive for a long time, but by the time dogs become ineffective you should be able to afford some kind of magical storage.

Ashiel
2009-12-20, 05:23 AM
I second Ashiel's sentiment.

Alternately, buy a dog. Keep most of your stuff in your backpack and drop it when a fight comes up, and teach your dog to guard it. He probably won't survive for a long time, but by the time dogs become ineffective you should be able to afford some kind of magical storage.

I have to admit that a Riding dog is a pretty solid investment in the early game as well. They're 250gp, but they can be darn helpful right up to mid levels if you use the properly. With a little cheap barding (studded leather is a favorite but heavier barding is also good) their ACs are quite impressive. Multiple dogs trained for fighting can be directed with a move action. You might be surprised at how effective these little guys are at fighting (especially if you can pick their feats - if your DM will allow it, give 'em weapon focus: bite, or improved natural attack). They're also useful to have around for their scent feature, which can alert you to even invisible danger.

My brother has kept a pack of these things during our games. He often takes Animal Cohort, and buys an additional 1-4 riding dogs which he trains for combat. In many cases he can simply rush into combat with them, or in the case of his sorcerer, cast spells while they deal with things.

Of course they become obsolete, but like Shpa said, by that time you should have something much better. At lower levels, it's especially nice to give your enemies targets other than you and your party.

Sinfire Titan
2009-12-20, 03:23 PM
Play a Kobold with Sleight Build? Your items would be Tiny, but your carrying capacity would be as a Small character. Compared to a Medium, you end up with items that have 1/8th their normal weight, and the ability to carry loads as a Small creature. It does have the drawback of adding to the price for armor and weaponry, but you can craft those yourself for 1/3 the cost.

Halfling/Gnome works too, but doesn't get Sleight Build. You end up with lower carrying capacity, but your items weigh 1/4th their normal weight

Grushvak
2009-12-20, 03:35 PM
Go for a mule. Seriously, they make encumbrance a thing of the past. Also, I feel that they somehow add to the game. Your character can grow attached to the mule. You'll have to protect the mule sometimes.

In a campaign I'm playing, I learned that faith healing worked on my priest's mule. A mule of Bahamut is the best thing any of my characters ever had.

Ponce
2009-12-20, 03:44 PM
Just do the backpack thing, or ask a buddy to carry some stuff for you. Most of your weight is coming from non-combat stuff.