PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Two Races, Drowgen and Celestial Flame

Setra
2009-12-20, 01:30 AM
I'll be honest, right now I'm trying to turn one of my freeform RP characters into a D&D character, as well as his rival (a character of a friend of mine). I'm starting with their races, trying not to make them too powerful as I hate LA in general, but more importantly trying to give them the abilities that their race is supposed to in freeform.

The first is Drowgen, it's Half Dragon, Half Drow, as the name suggests. However neither of them are particularly races I'd like to use (Drow with the Half Dragon Template would have LA5 and a few abilities he doesn't have) so I made a combined weaker(I hope?) version.

Drowgen

+2 Str
Monstrous Humanoid(?)
Medium
Base Land Speed is 30
Damage Reduction 5/Magic
Spell Resistance equal to 10+level
Wings (Flight speed is 60, or 40 is wearing medium or heavy armor, good maneuverability)
Resistance gained according to Dragon Type (20, and 10 to everything else. Weak to opposing element (-10) Fire > Cold -> Acid -> Electricity -> Fire)

LA +2(?)

The second is Celestial Flame.. the character himself is actually some sort of angel who for some reason was born immune to fire he never really explained it all to me. Actually he absorbs fire... I think he just thought it was cool when he created the character.

Celestial Flame

Humanoid
Medium
Base Land Speed 30
Absorbs Fire Damage, if hit with fire damage gains a stacking +2 natural bonus to str each hit. Cannot use with fire produced by him in any way. (No, not even then) After 30 seconds since his last increase, his str returns to normal.
Wings (Flight speed is 50 regardless of armor, poor maneuverability)
Spell-like abilities as Half-Celestial

LA +2(?)

Mostly I'd like a general thought on the races, and maybe a way to make them a little weaker while still keeping the abilities similar.

Ps. Neither character is ever referred to as Drowgen or Celestial Flame, I know they sound stupid.. I just felt like coming up with something to express what the character should be like.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-12-20, 01:51 AM
Absorbs Fire Damage, if hit with fire damage gains a stacking +2 natural bonus to str each hit. Cannot use with fire produced by him in any way. (No, not even then)

You need to specify how long this lasts; "until 1 minute after he last took fire damage" would probably be a good length.

Other than that, these look...functional. They do what you want and are fairly straightforward.

Setra
2009-12-20, 02:00 AM
You need to specify how long this lasts; "until 1 minute after he last took fire damage" would probably be a good length.Ah yes, that would probably be a good idea :smalltongue: Well I'll go with 30 seconds rather than a minute.

Other than that, these look...functional. They do what you want and are fairly straightforward.
Well I wasn't shooting for more than functional, so that works. :smalltongue:

Gonna be trying to translate their classes later, that'll be fun.. Hopefully one of them is better than just 'functional'

Edit:
One question though, would you say the races are about equal? (I don't care if they suck for their LA or not, as long as they're roughly equal)

gotelc
2009-12-20, 07:09 AM
I could see you pulling the LA down more if you wanted.

giving the Drowgen one or more of the following could take the LA out completely:
-2 to one of his stats like charisma or wisdom
making his Spell resistance 10+ 1/2 level
reducing his resistances to 10 and 5
you could reduce his DR

for the Celestial
that fire eating (yes its not "eating" but it sounds cool to say) is a cool idea but i would change it to: instead taking fire damage he gets +1 str for half the damage that would have been done to him. He could hold onto this boost for 2d4 rounds (DM rolls secretly for added spice). Any more fire damage would not stack but the highest one would take effect and a new 2d4 count would start

for example a wizard hits your party with a fireball and does 18 damage, He had a Str of 15 so it goes up by 9 to 24 with a modifier of +9 on his next go he charges the wizard with his regular shortsword and makes his regular attack at base attack+9+2(from charge) hits and does 1d6+9 points of damage.

this is a bit more complicated than yours but i think it would be more balanced at higher and lower levels it also puts a theoretical CAP on how strong he can get from this ability since it is based the damage the fire did to him rather than how often the fire hits him.
if he was facing off with a guy that had a flaming sword, using your rules he would gain strength every time he got hit, and as long as the fight went on he would just get stronger and stronger and stronger until the str bonus would be ridiculous. if the guy had 3 attacks a round and hit on all of them in 3 rounds your strength would go up 18 points that's as good as double in a very short time.