2009-12-20, 02:27 AM
Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mocha
Conjuration
Level: Wiz/Sor 1, Cleric 1, Bard 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Duration: 1 hour/CL
Range: Touch
Target: a cup or mug, upright, capable of holding at least an additional 12 oz.
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No

By means of this spell, a caster may create 12 ounces of coffee. This coffee is very hot, and remains magically so for the duration. It may be splashed over an enemy as a full-round action to cause 1d4 damage (Reflex negates). If drunk, this coffee confers the benefits of a full eight hours of sleep on the character drinking. When the spell duration expires, this effect vanishes, and the character must immediately make any appropriate checks for ill effects due to lack of sleep.

Fourier Transform
Transmutation
Level: Wiz/Sor 8, Cleric 8
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 5 minutes
Duration: Instantaneous
Target: 1 creature and all that they carry
Save: None (Willing target only)
Spell Resistance: Yes

When this spell is cast on a creature, they vanish instantly. They are held in stasis until recovered by another casting of this spell, and the caster recovering them must know either their true name or a detailed history of their entire life (Both are DC 30 Knowledge checks of whatever type is appropriate). For every month during which a creature is under the effects of this spell, they must make a DC 25 Will save. Every time that they fail this save, they take one point of ability drain to each ability score. Although this spell is permanent, it does not have a target which remains in existance, and so it does not produce any magical aura, nor does it present a target for dispel magic or mordenkainen's disjunction.

Arcane Material Component: A small box covered in buttons which are labelled with numbers and mathematical operators.

Fast Fourier Transform
Transumtation
Level: Wiz/Sor 8, Cleric 8
Casting Time: 1 round
Duration: Permanent
Target: 1 creature and all that it carries
Save: None (Willing target only)

When this spell is cast on a creature, they vanish instantly. They are held in stasis until recovered by another casting of this spell, and the caster recovering them must know either their true name or a detailed history of their entire life (Both are DC 30 Knowledge checks of whatever type is appropriate). For every hour during which a creature is under the effects of this spell, they must make a DC 35 Will save. Every time that they fail this save, they take one point of ability damage to each ability score. The creature does not heal while under this effect. Although this spell is permanent, it does not have a target which remains in existance, and so it does not produce any magical aura, nor does it present a target for dispel magic or mordenkainen's disjunction.

Arcane Material Component: A small box covered in buttons which are labelled with numbers and mathematical operators.

Divide By Zero Error
Evocation
Level: Wiz/Sor 7
Duration: Instantaneous
Range: Personal
Target: 10 foot radius sphere around self
Save: Reflex Negates

Everything within the area of effect is instantly obliterated, and cannot be brought back from the dead without direct divine intervention. You do not receive a save to escape. Creatures only partially within the sphere gain a +5 bonus to their saves. The caster is always affected by this spell, even if they somehow manage to be outside the area of effect. No amount of mundane or magical coercion can cause a character to cast this spell against their will.

Awaken Vulcanism
Transmutation
Level: Druid 5
Duration: 1 round/CL
Range: 10 feet/CL
Target: 20 foot radius sphere
Save: See text
Spell Resistance No

This spell causes the target area to become volcanically active. Every round, roll a d6 and consult the table.

{table]1-3|Nothing

4|Geyser eruption, all in area take 1d6 damage

5|Steam vent, all in area blinded for 1d3 rounds and take 1d4 damage

6|Roll on table below[/table]

{table]1|Boiling mud, all in area slowed and take 2d4 damage/round until washed off.

2|Poisonous vapours, all in area must make a Fortitude save or be unable to act for a round, lasts for one minute.

3|Lava eruption, all within 10' of area take 1d8 damage, all in area make a Reflex save or take 3d10 damage (save halves).

4|Ash eruption, all in area save vs. spells or take 2d6 damage and be slowed until cleaned with alcohol. If not cleaned within ten minutes, the ash will harden and immobilise them until cleaned.[/table]

Nudge Ill-Fortune
Necromancy
Level: Cleric 6, Wiz/Sor 7
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Zero
Target: Sphere with radius 1 mile/CL
Save: None
Spell Resistance Yes

When this spell is cast, an entire area becomes cursed. Whenever someone within the area attempts a check, attack roll, saving throw or similar by rolling a d20, taking ten, or taking twenty, and exactly meets the DC after all modifiers, they fail the check.

Arcane Material Component: A bag of assorted rare herbs, worth 1000 gp on the open market.

Although I am working on my own magic system, I like to keep my hand in. These were cobbled together while I had no internet access on Notepad, so apologies in advance for anything stupid.

Temotei
2009-12-20, 05:43 PM
So...divide by zero error kills you, without any chance of return? Hooray for epic deaths to save the party! You spelled receive wrong somewhere in there too.

Fortuna
2009-12-20, 05:46 PM
Such was the intention, yes. Thanks for the spelling correction.

lesser_minion
2009-12-20, 05:52 PM
Just say "The individual whose will triggers the casting of this spell is affected, even they are outside the area, and without recourse to any special ability of any kind whatsoever."

That stops the most obvious cheese with Divide By Zero error.

Fortuna
2009-12-20, 05:55 PM
Except that that gets really weird really fast. What happens if the caster is charmed, for instance? Or under the influence of suggestion? With my method, that is obvious, but with your method it would be a tricky call to determine who dies, no save.

Milskidasith
2009-12-20, 06:02 PM
It says reflex negates, then says that there is no save. I'm confused.

Fortuna
2009-12-20, 06:04 PM
The caster gets no save. Everyone else in the area does.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-20, 06:18 PM
Just use the earthbound spell metamagic, or something like it. That way, you can cast it without dying.:smallbiggrin:

Would contingency work on that?

Fortuna
2009-12-20, 06:26 PM
Contingency would, I suppose, although I didn't realize you could use it on 7th level spells. What is earthbound spell?

Temotei
2009-12-20, 06:30 PM
The coffee one is confusing. The range is touch? Do you touch something, and a second later, the drink appears? Or do you touch someone or something, and the container of the liquid appears somewhere where the coffee can stably be held or kept in the container?

Fortuna
2009-12-20, 06:31 PM
You touch the container, and it fills with coffee.

Temotei
2009-12-20, 06:35 PM
You touch the container, and it fills with coffee.

Oh. I missed the target part, unless you just changed it. :smallsmile:

Dispel magic is messed up in the description of fast fourier transform. It says [i]dispel magic[/b].

Fortuna
2009-12-20, 06:37 PM
Fixed. That's what you get for trying to type these things up on Notepad.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-20, 06:39 PM
Contingency would, I suppose, although I didn't realize you could use it on 7th level spells. What is earthbound spell?

Its in PHB2 I believe and it allows you to "place a spell" on a 5-foot square that becomes cast either when a creature steps on it, or after something like 10min/per CL. With Divide by Zero Error, you now have save or die land mine for the equivalent of something like an 8th level spell.:smalltongue:

Fortuna
2009-12-20, 06:40 PM
Huh. That might be a problem. I'll fix that.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-20, 06:45 PM
Actually, Earthbound spell raises it by two levels:smallannoyed: So I guess it wouldn't be overpowered or anything. It also allows a search check to identify for anyone who doesn't want to step on it, and it actually lasts only one hour. A caveat is that it can't be applied to any spell with a range of personal. So you could just change it to personal range, and be done with it (assuming it isn't personal already. :smallbiggrin:

Temotei
2009-12-20, 06:47 PM
Actually, Earthbound spell raises it by two levels:smallannoyed: So I guess it wouldn't be overpowered or anything. It also allows a search check to identify for anyone who doesn't want to step on it, and it actually lasts only one hour. A caveat is that it can't be applied to any spell with a range of personal. So you could just change it to personal range, and be done with it (assuming it isn't personal already. :smallbiggrin:

Hahaha :smallbiggrin: This was all for naught. :smallamused:

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-20, 06:48 PM
It was worth a try.

Fortuna
2009-12-20, 07:18 PM
Well, it was personal all along. How do the other spells look?

lesser_minion
2009-12-21, 06:48 AM
Except that that gets really weird really fast. What happens if the caster is charmed, for instance? Or under the influence of suggestion? With my method, that is obvious, but with your method it would be a tricky call to determine who dies, no save.

The point was to avoid Suggestion: "that spell of yours is so rad, why don't you cast it?".

If the caster decides to cast it, then they die, but if someone uses magical or mundane means to convince the caster to cast it then that is the person who dies.

Alternatively, "no amount of magical or mundane coercion can cause a character to cast this spell against his will".

dsmiles
2009-12-21, 01:28 PM
I like these. They're good. HA! Divide by Zero! I especially like the Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mocha spell. As an avid player/reader of Greyhawk, this is something I can see him coming up with.

Lapak
2009-12-21, 01:44 PM
Magnificent Mocha is a little powerful for a level one spell, if I'm reading it right. It's so-so at low levels, sure, but it allows a high-level caster to fully recharge his spells with just the study time and lasts long enough for that to be pretty significant. If that's the general idea, I'd at least drop the duration to, oh, an hour + 10 min./level, or an hour + 1 min.level, to allow a caster stuck in a dungeon to recharge his spells but give him only a limited time window to enjoy the boost.

Or if you just want it to delay fatigue, make sure that the 'rest' doesn't count for purposes of spell recovery.

lesser_minion
2009-12-21, 02:22 PM
Magnificent Mocha is a little powerful for a level one spell, if I'm reading it right. It's so-so at low levels, sure, but it allows a high-level caster to fully recharge his spells with just the study time and lasts long enough for that to be pretty significant. If that's the general idea, I'd at least drop the duration to, oh, an hour + 10 min./level, or an hour + 1 min.level, to allow a caster stuck in a dungeon to recharge his spells but give him only a limited time window to enjoy the boost.

Or if you just want it to delay fatigue, make sure that the 'rest' doesn't count for purposes of spell recovery.

You need eight hours of restful calm in order to prepare spells, even if you don't need the sleep - elves have to rest eight hours, for example, even though they only need four hours' sleep. Additionally, you can never recover a spell expended in the last eight hours.

Fortuna
2009-12-21, 03:12 PM
Divide by Zero now has that new clause. Magnificent Mocha, if the system works the way that I think it does, means that you can, in fact, go without sleep entirely, and it was intended to allow spell recovery. The thing is that you lose one (admittedly unimportant, but still) first level spell slot every day forever, and if you ever get incapactitated for a day and miss your fix, well... what are the effects of going a few months without sleep? Anyone?

Lapak
2009-12-21, 03:25 PM
You need eight hours of restful calm in order to prepare spells, even if you don't need the sleep - elves have to rest eight hours, for example, even though they only need four hours' sleep. Additionally, you can never recover a spell expended in the last eight hours.
You're certainly right about the 'spells cast within the last 8 hours can't be recovered' rule, but the spell is sufficiently vague about 'all the benefits' that it could definitely be intended to include spell recovery...

Divide by Zero now has that new clause. Magnificent Mocha, if the system works the way that I think it does, means that you can, in fact, go without sleep entirely, and it was intended to allow spell recovery. The thing is that you lose one (admittedly unimportant, but still) first level spell slot every day forever, and if you ever get incapactitated for a day and miss your fix, well... what are the effects of going a few months without sleep? Anyone?

...and it is. And I don't think that the spell is a good idea; a level one slot isn't enough to eliminate sleep as a concern forever, and a limitation that will outright kill the PC if they're ever unable to fulfill it is not one that is useful as a balance - which is the inevitable result if a caster stacks this for more than a week or so running.

My main concern, in any event, is that the spell as written allows a wizard to completely reset their spell list for the day in an hour's time. (Spells that they haven't cast can be abandoned when setting up the spell list after a rest without the 8-hour consideration.)

Taken all in all, I think that a lesser duration is important to prevent abuse, and that further limitations should be put in place to avoid the never-sleep-again angle, because that leads to an overpowered situation that can only be ended by death. Perhaps a 'the caster cannot benefit again from this spell until they have had 8 hours of natural rest' clause, or some such.

Fortuna
2009-12-21, 03:31 PM
No, I like the addiction possibility. And I just realized: one 1st level slot doesn't sort you forever. Actually, assuming a twentieth level caster, you need more than that. I could run the numbers, but one first level spell slot actually replaceseight hours of sleep. Every day of missed sleep, you need to burn another first level slot per day. After a week, you're burning 6-7 1st level slots a day. After a month, that goes up to 30-odd. How many spell slots will the average wizard not need to touch?

Fortuna
2009-12-23, 12:41 AM
No more comments? Anyone? I can throw out another spell, if that's what it will take.

Learn From Mistakes
Abjuration
Level: Cleric 2
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)

By means of this spell, a caster grants a target the ability to learn incredibly fast. Whenever the target fails a check, and then has occasion to repeat the check within the duration of the spell, they gain a stacking +1 circumstance bonus to the check. However, they may only gain this bonus for a number of specific types of check equal to the greater of their or the caster's Intelligence modifier (minimum 1). The check type must be very specific, but may include attack rolls: for example, "Use Rope checks" would not be a valid choice, but "attack rolls against that goblin there" would.

Milskidasith
2009-12-23, 12:44 AM
No more comments? Anyone? I can throw out another spell, if that's what it will take.

Learn From Mistakes
Abjuration
Level: Cleric 6
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)

By means of this spell, a caster grants a target the ability to learn incredibly fast. Whenever the target fails a check, and then has occasion to repeat the check within the duration of the spell, they gain a stacking +1 circumstance bonus to the check. However, they may only gain this bonus for a number of specific types of check equal to the greater of their or the caster's Intelligence modifier (minimum 1). The check type must be very specific, but may include attack rolls: for example, "Use Rope checks" would not be a valid choice, but "attack rolls against that goblin there" would.

This isn't worth a sixth level slot. Maybe a weak second level, maybe. Yes, you can get up to a +20 with this... but if you fail to kill a single goblin 20 times, it's not useful. Plus, True Strike already gives a +20 to your attack rollss

Fortuna
2009-12-23, 12:51 AM
Whoops. That would be my first edition balancer kicking in.

DracoDei
2009-12-23, 01:26 AM
Learn from Mistakes would be more powerful for an archivist of course... The only place I can think of where it gets cheesy is with multiple rounds of full attacks.

Fortuna
2009-12-24, 02:06 AM
Four Seasons In One Day
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Cleric 5, Druid 5
Target: Sphere of radius 30 feet/caster level
Duration: 1 minute/caster level

By means of this spell, a caster causes the area around themselves to become climatically disturbed, to say the least. Every round that this spell is in effect, roll 1d4 and compare with the table below to determine effects.

{table=head]Roll|Effect

1|Spring - Vernal forces flow through plant life, causing a plant growth effect to cover the area.

2|Summer - The burning heat forces all creatures within the area to make a DC 10 Fort save or take 2d6 non-lethal fire damage, +1d6 for every previous failed save

3|Autumn - Biting, stinging leaves and other assorted debris, carried by the cruel winds, cause 2d6 non-lethal piercing/slashing damage.

4|Winter - As the chill of winter strikes the area, the area is covered by a sleet storm[/table]

Fortuna
2009-12-26, 07:54 PM
Deep Cover
Enchantment [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Wiz/Sor 6
Casting Time: 1 hour
Target: 1 willing creature
Saving Throw: None (willing target only)

By means of this spell, a caster alters a creature's mind. The caster completely buries their old personality, and dictates name, attitude, goals, alignment and so forth of their new personality. The target's race, class, and ability scores are not changed.

In addition, the caster may select a trigger condition. This condition may be as simple or complex as desired, but may only build on the conditions of a certain amount of time passing, a certain word being spoken within earshot of the character, or the caster actively dismissing the spell while touching the subject. When this condition is met, the spell breaks instantly. The spell may also be dispelled, disjoined, or removed (with remove curse).

Arcane Material Component: An electrum helmet with platinum wires leading away from it, costing 1000 gp.

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-12-26, 08:02 PM
Four Seasons In One Day
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Cleric 5, Druid 5
Target: Sphere of radius 30 feet/caster level
Duration: 1 minute/caster level

By means of this spell, a caster causes the area around themselves to become climatically disturbed, to say the least. Every round that this spell is in effect, roll 1d4 and compare with the table below to determine effects.

{table=head]Roll|Effect

1|Spring - a plant growth effect covers the area.

2|Summer - DC 10 Fort save or take 2d6 non-lethal fire damage, +1d6 for every previous failed save

3|Autumn - 2d6 non-lethal piercing/slashing damage

4|Winter - the area is covered by a sleet storm[/table]

This looks like it could be a dangerous spell to cast - you'll be surrounded by (that is, at the centre of) a series of potentially damaging effects for at least nine minutes. That's ninety rounds, of which half are damaging. You could kill yourself...

Fortuna
2009-12-27, 02:50 AM
You could. You most certainly could. That said, this spell is duplicating multiple lower level spells, and then widening them considerably, and on top of that increasing the duration a heap as well.

Fruchtkracher
2009-12-27, 04:52 AM
3|Autumn - 2d6 non-lethal piercing/slashing damage

the idea of non-lethal piercing/slashing damage somehow amuses me...is that even possible? i mean piercing and slashing is kinda lethal normally :smallconfused:

and deep cover is a GREAT spell i'd definitely use in an undercover/spy mission
or something like that! though the material component seems kinda rediculous

Siosilvar
2009-12-27, 02:26 PM
the idea of non-lethal piercing/slashing damage somehow amuses me...is that even possible? i mean piercing and slashing is kinda lethal normally :smallconfused:

Papercuts. Or, in this case, leafcuts.

Temotei
2009-12-27, 02:31 PM
Papercuts. Or, in this case, leafcuts.

Pencils and pens...syringes, if used as weapons without anything in them. Those are piercing.

Slashing can be paper cuts, toenails cutting you, fingernails scratching you, some cardboard cuts...

DracoDei
2009-12-27, 06:12 PM
Four Seasons in One Day needs some explanatory fluff for Autumn worked into the spell itself (rather than a later post), and some for the other seasons wouldn't hurt to set the mood.

Fortuna
2009-12-28, 12:54 AM
That better? And how is it balance-wise?

Fruchtkracher
2009-12-28, 07:03 AM
Pencils and pens...syringes, if used as weapons without anything in them. Those are piercing.

Slashing can be paper cuts, toenails cutting you, fingernails scratching you, some cardboard cuts...

yeah but that normaly doesn't knock you unconcious...though you could probably kill someone with a pencil, which then again would make in lethal damage.
Now I have the awesome picture of a rogue wielding two pencils sneak-attacking people in my mind...

DracoDei
2009-12-28, 08:49 AM
Since it hits even the caster, the biggest use I can think of for it is as an "Well, I am about to pass out, so I need something to ward off mooks until I can recover or someone helps me...

Which doesn't come up often. The only thing I can think of in D&D that tends to work like that is being at 0 hp.

OTOH, if you can find a way of making yourself immune to subdual damage (or getting both DR 10/magic and enough Fire Resistance or Fort save +9) then it actually becomes a halfway decent offensive spell since it is in addition to whatever you are doing that round...